Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #46 of 6,783
Quote:
I picked up the Mikros 90 today. I am hearing them pretty much the same way Ric4001 is. They are verrrrry nice! Clear, silky smooth extended top end, clear fast midrange and a very tuneful, balanced non-boomy bass that goes quite deep. Drivers seem to be precisely matched, giving a very open, spacious stereo image. And a very exciting listen, great sense of dynamics.

Fit is tight and takes some getting used to, not a lot of flexibility to get the fit just right. But undoubtedly they will loosen up over time.

I'll get back later with further comments after I get more listening in....

Coming from your experience, I'm feeling more confident in these.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #47 of 6,783
They also have a wonderful sense of pace, timing and speed.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #48 of 6,783
I picked up the Mikros 90 today. I am hearing them pretty much the same way Ric4001 is. They are verrrrry nice! Clear, silky smooth extended top end, clear fast midrange and a very tuneful, balanced non-boomy bass that goes quite deep. Drivers seem to be precisely matched, giving a very open, spacious stereo image. And a very exciting listen, great sense of dynamics.

Fit is tight and takes some getting used to, not a lot of flexibility to get the fit just right. But undoubtedly they will loosen up over time.

I'll get back later with further comments after I get more listening in....

See, now I want to try these out...

I don't really want to own, but I'd love to try try. Do these unseat the Diamond Tears for you? Or are they just "good?"

Random non-sonic questions:

- Is the "leather covering" something that feels like it'll wear out over time, or is it nicely done?
- Do they come with an audio only cable?
- When you say they're "tight" - how tight? Like HD 580/600 tight? Or like Beats-Pro-vice-grip tight?

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #49 of 6,783
Quote:
See, now I want to try these out...

I don't really want to own, but I'd love to try try. Do these unseat the Diamond Tears for you? Or are they just "good?"

Random non-sonic questions:

- Is the "leather covering" something that feels like it'll wear out over time, or is it nicely done?
- Do they come with an audio only cable?
- When you say they're "tight" - how tight? Like HD 580/600 tight? Or like Beats-Pro-vice-grip tight?

They walk all over the Diamond Tears. The DT cannot match the speed and clarity of the Mikros. DT is muddy and indistinct in direct comparison. The Mikros actually do remind me of a good high-end loudspeaker....maybe even a good impersonation of the detail and delicacy of one of MartinLogan's electrostats. So far they sound amazing on many genres of music.

The leather is rather solid and tough....not the spongy softness of the P5. Just one cable, with the remote but I still haven't noticed the presence of the remote...just enjoying listening. Because of the solid leather, it does not do a "memory foam" and adhere to the ear....so it required the snug fit to keep it on the head. Direct pressure on the ear itself. But I do think there will be some eventual give to the pads and everything will become more comfortable. You really only notice the tightness when you first put them on. It seems to go away after. You have to futz a bit getting an initial fit but once you do, all is well.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #51 of 6,783
In absolute terms, I don't think you can compare them to electrostat phones because they sound more dynamic, although the treble does remind me of the openness and extension of 'stats. There is both clarity and balance in the bass and the treble, which gives the midrange a rather easy job. I think of electrostats as delicacy and detail, not so much fast and dynamic. Plus it is apples and oranges, since we are dealing with different driver types and sizes.

In summation, it is a small, portable 'phone but if Stax were to market a small portable phone, I suspect they would sound like the Mikros 90. It is just so refreshing not to hear a boomy bass, warm midrange and rolled off top.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #52 of 6,783
In absolute terms, I don't think you can compare them to electrostat phones because they sound more dynamic, although the treble does remind me of the openness and extension of 'stats. There is both clarity and balance in the bass and the treble, which gives the midrange a rather easy job. I think of electrostats as delicacy and detail, not so much fast and dynamic. Plus it is apples and oranges, since we are dealing with different driver types and sizes.

In summation, it is a small, portable 'phone but if Stax were to market a small portable phone, I suspect they would sound like the Mikros 90. It is just so refreshing not to hear a boomy bass, warm midrange and rolled off top.

So now you've got me thinking they're gonna be more like the Sony F1 than ESPs...Magnolia needs to get their demo thing working! :popcorn:

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #53 of 6,783
Quote:
So now you've got me thinking they're gonna be more like the Sony F1 than ESPs...Magnolia needs to get their demo thing working!
popcorn.gif

Was the demo not working in the store you visited?

Also, ML's goal in designing this was to achieve a signature similar to their stat towers.  This certainly explains what you are hearing.  

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #54 of 6,783
Was the demo not working in the store you visited?

It wasn't set-up. I asked the guy and he said they'd gotten the "machine" that would drive the headphones, but didn't have the headphones themselves yet...:frowning2:

I haven't heard these yet - but I'm certainly curious about them based on Beagle's recent comments.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #55 of 6,783
The manual recommends 20 hours run-in time.....and low and behold, a very slight cold, clinical character is going away....and the imaging has gotten even better.

The fit still gives me fits. If you have to take them off frequently, you will become annoyed having to find the sweet fit spot each time. But leave them on and they stay put nicely.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #56 of 6,783
The manual recommends 20 hours run-in time.....and low and behold, a very slight cold, clinical character is going away....and the imaging has gotten even better.

Hold up - you actually READ the instructions, followed them, and it worked out?

No but seriously - that's pretty rad to see a manufacturer providing that kind of info. Might truck over to Magnolia tomorrow and see if they've finally got their demo station put together...:popcorn:

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #57 of 6,783
I am finding that, when using the Mikros 90, some tunes sound bright, others warm, some in-between. I think this indicates that the top end is very resolving. And the bass only seems to be there when it is present on the recording. Yeah, that seems obvious but some headphones seem to "add" bass to everything. Are we getting close to 'accuracy' in a small on-ear headphone?

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #59 of 6,783
I don't know the ESW9, haven't heard it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #60 of 6,783
I'm jelly.  Grape jelly.  Marmalade even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back