Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 6,782
This is a really odd thread.  A few people have trashed the Mikros 90, yet other reviews I have read claim that they are amazing. Reminds me of what happened with the Pioneer SE-MJ591 and the Focal Spirit One.

Is it another case of people comparing them to other headphones rather than to the sounds of real instruments and voices? And it is yet another situation where nobody has them available for audition in my locale.

I feel like it's just the bandwagon effect. If even two big reviewers had trashed the M50 when it first came out, it probably wouldn't be as well-regarded as it is today, regardless of opinions afterwards.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #33 of 6,782
Quote:
I actually like the sound.  I just don't find them comfortable, at all.  

Do you currently own them, or are you still going on your in-store impressions?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #36 of 6,782
I only auditioned these at Best Buy.  They aren't horrible, just "blah".  There is nothing special about them.  It's not even that they are super accurate.  Their detail retrieval is average and their highs are slightly rolled off.  Bass is anemic.  They are just plain boring.  There are so many better headphones at their price point including:

PSB M4U1
B&W P5
V-Moda M-100
Sony MDR-1R
Sennheiser Momentum
Several new Monster headphones

Heck, I think I even prefer Beats Executive to these.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #38 of 6,782
Quote:
Come on now.  

Don't even take it as an insult; the Executives are well-built, decent-sounding cans (though still incredibly overpriced, obviously).

Besides, everyone has different tastes. I doubt I would agree with the supposed superiority of some cans in Monster's current lineup that he purports, since I absolutely hated the DNA and Diamond Tears.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #39 of 6,782
Quote:
Don't even take it as an insult; the Executives are well-built, decent-sounding cans (though still incredibly overpriced, obviously).

Besides, everyone has different tastes. I doubt I would agree with the supposed superiority of some cans in Monster's current lineup that he purports, since I absolutely hated the DNA and Diamond Tears.

I invite you to compare for yourself.  I had high hopes from a respected name like Martin Logan.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #41 of 6,782
Quote:
What else have you had experience with? Any comparisons you can make?

I just bought the Mikros 90 and have had a chance to compare that at home with some others I have.  My initial impressions are the same as at the Best Buy listening station -- these have plenty of high end and a really nice refined, articulate bass that is not at all boomy.  I would say they are similar to the sound -- specifically the balance between high and low end -- of my AKG Q701 with lots of crisp high end (but not as much as those--the Q701 is very very bright) and a really nice bass that has plenty of definition without sounding boomy.  Less bass than the P5s (which I compared them with in the store tonight), but better high end detail than the P5s.  I compared them side by side at home with my Klipsch Ones, B&W P3s, Beyer DT 1350s and VModa 80s.  The Mikros are clearly better than all 4 of those.  The Klipsch are basically unlistenable in comparison.  The P3s sound veiled in comparison, but have a slightly stronger bass than the Mikros, but I miss the high end detail of the Mikros when trading back and forth between them and the P3.  The DB1350s sound anemic compared to the Mikros -- no high or low end in the DT1350s, just very blah.  The VModas are midrange heavy compared to the Mikros and lack the detailed high end and refined bass of the Mikros.  I also have AKG Q451s, which aren't in the same league and are dull sounding in comparison.  The comfort of the Mikros is pretty good, but they do clamp a little tight.  Definitely not as comfortable as the Klipsch, B&W or Beyer, all of which have negligible clamping, but they do provide a very good seal over the ears and very good passive noise reduction.  I think they'll get more comfortable as they loosen up a little.  Build quality is excellent -- they feel solid and the thick metal tubing between the headband and the earpiece is really nice and solid.  I still can't understand how other reviewers have described the Mikros as lacking in high end -- they have some the best high end I've heard from any headphone this size.  They really are amazing and clearly are the ones I would choose to listen to among the 5 small headphones I've described here.  I'll keep my P3s handy because I like the way they fold up into a small clamshell, but for all other occasions it's going to be the Mikros I choose.  For reference, I have many, many other headphones, mostly full size over the ear, including AKG Q702, K550; Beyer DT770, DT880, DT990, Custom Pro; Shure SRH 840, SRH940; Senn 600, 650; Sony 7506; AT M50s; Grado SR80, SR325; so I know what I like and don't like in headphones.  I've been searching for a portable size headphone that would give me the high end definition and refined bass of these full size headphones, and I think I've finally found it in the Mikros.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #43 of 6,782
Quote:
I just bought the Mikros 90 and have had a chance to compare that at home with some others I have.  My initial impressions are the same as at the Best Buy listening station -- these have plenty of high end and a really nice refined, articulate bass that is not at all boomy.  I would say they are similar to the sound -- specifically the balance between high and low end -- of my AKG Q701 with lots of crisp high end (but not as much as those--the Q701 is very very bright) and a really nice bass that has plenty of definition without sounding boomy.  Less bass than the P5s (which I compared them with in the store tonight), but better high end detail than the P5s.  I compared them side by side at home with my Klipsch Ones, B&W P3s, Beyer DT 1350s and VModa 80s.  The Mikros are clearly better than all 4 of those.  The Klipsch are basically unlistenable in comparison.  The P3s sound veiled in comparison, but have a slightly stronger bass than the Mikros, but I miss the high end detail of the Mikros when trading back and forth between them and the P3.  The DB1350s sound anemic compared to the Mikros -- no high or low end in the DT1350s, just very blah.  The VModas are midrange heavy compared to the Mikros and lack the detailed high end and refined bass of the Mikros.  I also have AKG Q451s, which aren't in the same league and are dull sounding in comparison.  The comfort of the Mikros is pretty good, but they do clamp a little tight.  Definitely not as comfortable as the Klipsch, B&W or Beyer, all of which have negligible clamping, but they do provide a very good seal over the ears and very good passive noise reduction.  I think they'll get more comfortable as they loosen up a little.  Build quality is excellent -- they feel solid and the thick metal tubing between the headband and the earpiece is really nice and solid.  I still can't understand how other reviewers have described the Mikros as lacking in high end -- they have some the best high end I've heard from any headphone this size.  They really are amazing and clearly are the ones I would choose to listen to among the 5 small headphones I've described here.  I'll keep my P3s handy because I like the way they fold up into a small clamshell, but for all other occasions it's going to be the Mikros I choose.  For reference, I have many, many other headphones, mostly full size over the ear, including AKG Q702, K550; Beyer DT770, DT880, DT990, Custom Pro; Shure SRH 840, SRH940; Senn 600, 650; Sony 7506; AT M50s; Grado SR80, SR325; so I know what I like and don't like in headphones.  I've been searching for a portable size headphone that would give me the high end definition and refined bass of these full size headphones, and I think I've finally found it in the Mikros.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Much appreciated
smile.gif

Your opinion seems to match a couple of other reviews I read elsewhere. I am wondering if the clamping force and positioning have a major effect on the sound. Too much clamping force and the sound would probably become muffled.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 6,782
Quote:
The Klipsch are basically unlistenable in comparison. 

It's good to hear that they may not be as bad as people are saying, and I would also like to mention that the Klipsch Image One and Reference One are incredibly disappointing headphones. If you had preferred the Klipsch in any way, I would've given up on the ML immediately.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #45 of 6,782
I picked up the Mikros 90 today. I am hearing them pretty much the same way Ric4001 is. They are verrrrry nice! Clear, silky smooth extended top end, clear fast midrange and a very tuneful, balanced non-boomy bass that goes quite deep. Drivers seem to be precisely matched, giving a very open, spacious stereo image. And a very exciting listen, great sense of dynamics.

Fit is tight and takes some getting used to, not a lot of flexibility to get the fit just right. But undoubtedly they will loosen up over time.

I'll get back later with further comments after I get more listening in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back