Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,417 of 6,782
I've been using the Auvio cable since I received my ML 90's. I think with very good sonic results. The cable is very thin and has a tendency to kink but besides that I think they are very good inexpensive cables for the ML's.

May 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #5,418 of 6,782
  I've been using the Auvio cable since I received my ML 90's. I think with very good sonic results. The cable is very thin and has a tendency to kink but besides that I think they are very good inexpensive cables for the ML's.

Ditto.
The Auvio fits perfectly and sounds lively and jumpin' with the Mikros 90.

May 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #5,419 of 6,782
The W1000X arrived yesterday.
Definitely warmer, fuller- and rounder-sounding, tonally, than the A1000X.

Tentatively, though, I would have to rate the Mikros 90 as offering better tonal sophistication/nuance and more subtle dynamic contrasts/shading than either of the ATHs.  [Based on preliminary a/b-ing last night with the EVS-modded/Sony S780 and Lehmann BCL.]
The MLs simply sound more musically "natural, organic and realistic" than either of the ATHs.  And that conclusion was reached using the Pipeline ET-4 cable.  Tonight I bring the Headphone Lounge UPOCC silver and copper cables into the mix.  [Might even daisy-chain the silver and copper cables and--finally--act on Lors' recommendation.]

Enjoying the ATH-W1000X with the (old) EVS-modded/Oppo 970 and beta 22 amp.  The ATHs are, I think, better matched with the beta 22 than the MLs [the Mikros 90 do hold their own with the beta, however].

Really want to a/b with some 6SN7 valves.  But the Fitz-improved/Bada PH-12 is currently out of commission, so no tubes for awhile!  

smile_phones.gif

May 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,420 of 6,782
  These are turning out to be my most preferred headphone atm. DX1000 is a better headphone, but it has issues in the upper end.... SA5000 is perfect but that shizzy treble and lack of bass... I end up listening mostly Mikros. What? The balance is just perfect. I was sceptic of these headphones...and I understand there are different variations but *******. I don't know what juice is my pair on.. But these are so awesome.

EDIT: Pataburd, you definitely need to try DX1000 someday.  If you liked the ATH's, DX1000 is a class above; it is just supreme. But Mikros have given me the mini version of a modified DX1000, that is just awesome. All I could ask in a portable. That is why you should try DX1000 because it is the fullsize mikros :)

Have not tried the JVC line yet.

From recollection, I think I might [have] prefer[ed] the AH-D5000 to the W1000X, though.  The Denon had better bass, cleaner upper mids and better balance overall [if memory serves me adequately].  Admittedly, I miss the Denon D5000 and D7000 at the moment.

The ATHs have an unnatural "reserved" or "reticent" character to their sound.  Like a stone that has gone through a rock tumbler and comes out polished.  The sound is smooth and refined but ultimately lacks the full apportionment of dynamic textures and a true explosive capacity.  

Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman.
Test track: #8: "Into White"
The Mikros 90 [stock pair #2] deliver this selection with excellent balance and sense of personal intimacy.  The tonal and dynamic structures are more credible and involving with the MLs.
The W1000X bring a sense of ease and spaciousness.  The vocals are more liquid, smooth and delicate with the ATHs.
With Teds UPOCC copper cable, the MLs close the gap w/r/t liquidity.

Boy George & Culture Club: At Worst . . . the Best of.
Test tracks: #2: "Time (Clock of the Heart)"
                  #3: "Church of the Poison Mind"
                  #7: "It's a Miracle"
The Mikros 90 get the nod for PRaT.  Vocals, bells/chimes sound more complete/realistic.
The W1000X deliver spacious and airy strings/vocals.

Bottom Line:
With the Mikros 90, I seem to be hearing the music as it was recorded.  Listening is chiefly a synergistic experience.
With the W1000X, I seem to be hearing the music as it is being filtered/colored by the headphones.  Listening is chiefly an analytic experience [notwithstanding the ATHs' signature "sweetness" and "smoothness"].

May 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #5,421 of 6,782
Are Ted's UPOCC copper cables reasonably priced? If so, where is a good place to buy them?

May 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,423 of 6,782
  How does the mikro 90 compare to the phillips fidelio m1 or harmon kardon cl?

M1 and Mikros are both headphones. So are Lada and Lamborghini. At a first listen M1 is a nice warm enjoyable headphone. After listening to Mikros you don't ever want to listen to M1. Trust me, I tried. M1 has a nice build and are more comfortable than Mikros but soundwise those don't compare at all.

May 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5,424 of 6,782
And the Lamborghini is cheaper than the lada:)

=========<==

May 29, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #5,425 of 6,782
Curious when we will see these new "superb" mods from max...

I just realized how sadistic these headphones are. To me, they seem to sound their best/I get the best fit at the same time as my ears are becoming a touch soft from the clamp and it starts to hurt, that is when the sound starts to get really interesting and the bass improves :D

Maybe today..

Hi guys. Looking for replacement cable for mikros. Can anyone confirm that auvios will fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUVIO-3ft-Stereo-Audio-Cable-1-8-3-5mm-Male-to-Male-Gray-4200690-/201040827984?_trksid=p2054897.l5668

I like the braided type. Thanks for any guidance.

Yes

[COLOR=006400]I've been using the Auvio cable since I received my ML 90's. I think with very good sonic results. The cable is very thin and has a tendency to kink but besides that I think they are very good inexpensive cables for the ML's.[/COLOR]

I found this cable to sound better than stock or v-moda long cable.

May 29, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #5,426 of 6,782

M1 and Mikros are both headphones. So are Lada and Lamborghini. At a first listen M1 is a nice warm enjoyable headphone. After listening to Mikros you don't ever want to listen to M1. Trust me, I tried. M1 has a nice build and are more comfortable than Mikros but soundwise those don't compare at all.

I concur...

May 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #5,427 of 6,782
May 29, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #5,428 of 6,782
they are Sennheiser 25 pads and very comfy.

once I'm home I will update

May 29, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5,429 of 6,782
  Are Ted's UPOCC copper cables reasonably priced? If so, where is a good place to buy them?

Given the workmanship and materials, Ted's [Headphone Lounge] UPOCC cable is a jolly good buy AFAIAC, and a worthy complement for the Mikros 90.

I am listening to The Baltimore Consort, Watkins Ale: Music of the English Renaissance, [a Dorian Recording] with the humble Denon 1940CI through the headphone out from the Linn Intek with Ted's UPOCC litz cable and the Mikros 90 [bhazard/Stock Pair #1] sound just Grand!

smile_phones.gif

http://headphonelounge.com/

May 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #5,430 of 6,782

Back from the abyss......just received 2 of these cords today.  IF (and that's a big if) you can get past the color, these cords sound promising!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271366928660?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I haven't been around much for the latest and greatest in cords, but I would like to point these out (if is hasn't been done already) as low cost options for longer cords that sound very good.  So far I have had the cord on for a couple of hours, and it really allows for a solid underpinning in the low frequencies albeit with a slight diminishment of high frequency air, yet retaining most of the speed and detail that I have grown to love.  Ironically enough, even though there seems to be less "air", in direct comparison to the stock cord it seems like I can hear further into the music because everything is so easy to discern without that slight crispness that the stock cord seemed to impart to the onset of transients.  So yes, there may be a tiny perceived slowing of the Mikros speed, but without direct comparison to the stock cord one would be hard pressed to notice any difference.

Will report back when I have more hours on this thing.....promising for a low cost option! 

Oh, and the barrel is an easy fit in the Mikros....room to spare, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back