Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,266 of 6,783
Teds Headphone Lounge UPOCC ("105 strand") copper cable is in-house!

Still breaking it in, but I really like how it sounds so far.  In absolute terms, not as open, finely detailed and nuanced as the UPOCC silver.  What I like, however, is the copper's increased tonal density and bolder tonal contrasts, especially its more rounded, sculpted, weightier and well-driven bass lines.

Definitely the best copper cable I have used so far with the Mikros 90: detailed, coherent, 3-dimensional and tonally succulent. 

Mikros 90 with copper cable upgrade = something a lot more engaging than the DT990/600.  
smile_phones.gif

May 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5,267 of 6,783
Another plug for the Teds/Headphone Lounge copper cable: expansive, weighty and unconstrained.  
Working really well with the MikrosHypedBass mod.
These Mikros 90 are still "somethin'"!!!
My fourth or fifth time through The Guess Who Collection. 

May 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #5,268 of 6,783
  So general consesus indicates that the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC and C&C BH amp work well with the Mikros, but would they be powerful enough to use on other headphones such as the RE-400 and Grado SR225is?
(This is basically the last thing I'm trying to work out before making my decision.)

I run my Nickerfied T50RP's off of the BH amp no problem. I suspect there wouldn't be a problem with the HE-400's, but you should do a "HE-400" search through the thread just to be safe:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/3150

May 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #5,269 of 6,783
First time I put on the mikros in reverse, isolation was superb...
But after an hour I realised both ears were numbbbbed:)

What hole? :)

I find when wearing them in the normal position, the way they tend to want to rotate forward sometimes causes my left ear canal to become closed a bit, resulting in swearing and adjustments etc. But in reverse, not only is the isolation superb, but for me it kinda forces open my ear canals which results in "insta-sweet-spot" and great sound. And yes, very numbed ears after a while!

May 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #5,270 of 6,783
I didn't experience my first pair rotating, but lately the left cup jus felt like looking around the place when it is on duty..:)

May 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,271 of 6,783
Another plug for the Teds/Headphone Lounge copper cable: expansive, weighty and unconstrained.  
Working really well with the MikrosHypedBass mod.
These Mikros 90 are still "somethin'"!!!
My fourth or fifth time through The Guess Who Collection. 

Another plug? U meant an adaptor?
I settled for the ultrasound extentioncable if I feel like having more body:)

Hey pata...do u hv a doublesidedsocket where u can link the silver to the copper?
This will blow your mind man?!:)

May 15, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #5,272 of 6,783
  u need to fulfill your calling as a pathfinder....not a backtrekker...
go get something NEW, n report back :p

Onkyo ES-FC300
$150 (watch for sales on Amazon for this model and HF300).
[ES-HF300 is same HP with "better" cable and $30 higher price tag.]
Almost "over ear" size cups...larger than most "on ear."  Not too large...still portable.
Very good comfort.
Fold flat..but no hard case.
Solid build quality.
Isolation is fair (not suitable for use in air).
Good review from Innerfidelity.
Replaceable cables (MMCX connectors), flat tangle free...no microphonics.
Sound is very nice.
  1. Treble, clarity and instrument separation close, but not quite to Mikros standards
  2. Bass and mids comparable.
  3. Sound stage may be a bit larger.
Overall, I would say these are a keeper.

May 16, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #5,273 of 6,783
So I made my mind up on these, however there is a slight problem. Does anyone know a site that ships these to NZ? Amazon doesn't, the one I could find from an NZ site costs $65 more and has an unreliable product warning and the Sonic Electronix site are out of stock. Anyone aware of other alternatives?

May 16, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #5,274 of 6,783

Onkyo ES-FC300
Almost "over ear" size cups...larger than most "on ear."  Not too large...still portable.
Very good comfort.
Solid build quality.
Sound is very nice.
  1. Treble, clarity and instrument separation close, but not quite to Mikros standards

the mikros have much better highs. more clear and natural, while extending more. the onkyo have similar clarity and what i would call real bass... extended, powerful, and clean. comfort is much better too.
the mikors bass mod gives it weight/warmth, but it felt more like midbass to me.

May 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #5,275 of 6,783
when i opened the hole n modded it...the soundsweep i heard went down to 5hz...
the other pair which i didnt open the hole, but still modded it, it went down to 10hz. 
It was just IPAD...stockcable..to ModdedMikros.

The IPAD is GREAT !!! LONG LIVE THE IPAD  !!! :p

May 16, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,276 of 6,783

Onkyo ES-FC300
Very good comfort.
Solid build quality.
Sound is very nice.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718540/onkyo-es-hf300-grado-sr80i   up for grabsss

May 16, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #5,277 of 6,783
I feel like the bass has gone down in levels on my pair with burn-in or pads softening or maybe clamp loosening... it is of course all just more incentive to mod once I reach those 200s.  But I'd say that the bass is not slightly too low for my taste. 

Playing around with sinegen has revealed linearity until 200Hz, 100Hz is about 75% of 200 in volume, 50Hz is about 50% of 100Hz in volume and 35 is halved again and lower than that can barely be considered audible - my previous test where 25hz were clear now has it much lower volume on 25hz. Also that test is not nearly as accurate as sinegen, and I believe the 25hz there is much closer to 35 actually.

However on a more positive note, the highs are absolutely wonderful, and I can't find any music that sounds sibilant. Mids have opened up somewhat but I'm still expecting more from the mids.

All in all, this is a very beautiful representation of music that appeals very well to me despite a slight lack in bass (let's say currently). I love to listen to violins, guitars and saxophones in these phones.

May 16, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #5,278 of 6,783
I found the fc300 had a pretty good soundstage, and good base, with nice treble, but the Mikros would expose the flaws of the midrange and treble detail. Be weary of the FC300. For a lot of people the left channel starts to go out, including me. Dont treat the like headphones with detachable cables because the tiny connectors they have are fragile.

I haven't used anything but my Mikros QC3 modded for like a month.
Onkyo ES-FC300
Very good comfort.
Solid build quality.
Sound is very nice.
  • Treble, clarity and instrument separation close, but not quite to Mikros standards
  • Bass and mids comparable.
  • Sound stage may be a bit larger.

May 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #5,279 of 6,783
I found the fc300 had a pretty good soundstage, and good base, with nice treble, but the Mikros would expose the flaws of the midrange and treble detail. Be weary of the FC300. For a lot of people the left channel starts to go out, including me. Dont treat the like headphones with detachable cables because the tiny connectors they have are fragile.

I haven't used anything but my Mikros QC3 modded for like a month.

I got the QC3 pads with the mikros, I haven't tried them yet, but I will as soon as I start experimenting with mods :D until then these suckers need to buuurnnn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back