Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,371 of 6,783
Honestly, I don't know if these are for me at all. They have a lot of clamp from what I've read, and that could be problematic especially if I wear thick framed designer style glasses. I've also read that they don't have much bass....and I'd like at least portable headphones to have about equal bass quantity as the HE-500 that I own.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,372 of 6,783
Meh, more for us
devil_face.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,373 of 6,783
  Honestly, I don't know if these are for me at all. They have a lot of clamp from what I've read, and that could be problematic especially if I wear thick framed designer style glasses. I've also read that they don't have much bass....and I'd like at least portable headphones to have about equal bass quantity as the HE-500 that I own.

I just got mine. They do clamp a bit, but I suspect that the anti-clamping shoebox mod might help with that. I'm not sure if I could wear them for hours and hours, but it's ok if it turns out that I can't (I never expected to be able to anyway).

They don't get in the way of my glasses, so that's no longer a concern for me. In stock form, they have more bass than I was expecting (quite adequate imo). But I am looking forward to the bass mods which apparently takes the bass to another level (not sure how it would compare to the HE-500's though).

Anyway, like hateful said, more for us lol.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,374 of 6,783

I just got mine. They do clamp a bit, but I suspect that the anti-clamping shoebox mod might help with that. I'm not sure if I could wear them for hours and hours, but it's ok if it turns out that I can't (I never expected to be able to anyway).

They don't get in the way of my glasses, so that's no longer a concern for me. In stock form, they have more bass than I was expecting (quite adequate imo). But I am looking forward to the bass mods which apparently takes the bass to another level (not sure how it would compare to the HE-500's though).

Anyway, like hateful said, more for us lol.

+1 
Much bassier than I was expecting after all the comments about lack bass, not crappy bass but yeah definitely bassier...
 Oh yeah just got mines in like 10 minutes ago... and you can take off the earpads without destroying them. Lol seems like I missed that point :p now I don't have to go searching for pads immediately.

I think first reduce clamp and burn in for a while; then I'll consider DIYing a cable.

Oh and if there are any DIYers on this thread did anybody find a 3.5mm connector that will fit on the headphone side? the stock connector seems pretty thin. Also need to decide between standard OFC copper I use for everything, SPC, or OCC copper.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2,375 of 6,783
  It's too bad the mediabridge cable won't work.  Very high ratings on Amazon.

The only other highly rated cable is the InCarCables.  Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.amazon.com/InCarCables-Stereo-AUX-IN-Smartphone-Players/dp/B005IN09GO

I have the InCarCable...doesn't fit the Mikros OTB.  Haven't tried to mod it. Went for the Auveo.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,377 of 6,783
You see, these people are crazy. Bass light, that's just crazy. Of course compared to the WS99 or M100 they're bass light
The is annoying though.

Tbh, before I got them, I thought that you were probably a "bass lite" guy due to how you kept saying that they had ample bass. I'm glad I never voiced that lol!

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,378 of 6,783
  Meh, more for us
devil_face.gif

^ + 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!

+1 
Much bassier than I was expecting after all the comments about lack bass, not crappy bass but yeah definitely bassier...
 Oh yeah just got mines in like 10 minutes ago... and you can take off the earpads without destroying them. Lol seems like I missed that point :p now I don't have to go searching for pads immediately.

I think first reduce clamp and burn in for a while; then I'll consider DIYing a cable.

Oh and if there are any DIYers on this thread did anybody find a 3.5mm connector that will fit on the headphone side? the stock connector seems pretty thin. Also need to decide between standard OFC copper I use for everything, SPC, or OCC copper.

+
You see, these people are crazy. Bass light, that's just crazy. Of course compared to the WS99 or M100 they're bass light
The is annoying though.

+

Tbh, before I got them, I thought that you were probably a "bass lite" guy due to how you kept saying that they had ample bass. I'm glad I never voiced that lol!

^
BASS SISSYS!!! Shut yo' mouths!!! : P

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,379 of 6,783
How bout someone with the HE-500 posts a comment and opinion. As anyone else's perception on bass is obsolete.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,381 of 6,783
I'll compare the 90s to the Live soon, considered the best at their price range, we'll see...

Live is not bad.....Enjoyable can.

But sheer refinement, in every dept sonically .....no contest, my hearing.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,382 of 6,783
Found a use for my P5's.

If u open up the pads....n use alcohol or some snake oil on the connector...
U should get a clearer sound. I own this p5 twice...
It's gets better when amped.
I had a Hifiman roocoo studio v ..enjoyed it...mellow vocals...thuDddding bass...not thumping.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #2,383 of 6,783
If u open up the pads....n use alcohol or some snake oil on the connector...
U should get a clearer sound. I own this p5 twice...
It's gets better when amped.
I had a Hifiman roocoo studio v ..enjoyed it...mellow vocals...thuDddding bass...not thumping.

I will never give up on the P5's, and will try the snake oil.  Still liking the 90's...36+ hours burn in and they sound great, overnight on the P5 box really did loosen them up just enough.  Second set arriving tomorrow will try your bass mod on set #2...but don't want too much more...just a wee little bit.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #2,384 of 6,783

I could easily wear the Mikros for 3hoursmstraight....I have done 6-9 hours , my ear tendons have stiffen or deaden ..my grammar suzz :p

Last thing to worry about is the bass. And absolutely no worries if u are a cave diver.

Specs...the frame sits on top of the cups...in between the spooks n your head. Lotsa space there.

This is the worst "cheap" can to walk away from....IMHO.

Mikros has a clean refined sound...like finely shifted flour...v absorbing once u get sucked into the way it presents the music...
Once u get sucked into the hype.

:D

Now listening to Joyce cooling - green impala.....the bass punched so tight..firm..textured..huge..no boominess..

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2,385 of 6,783
I could easily wear the Mikros for 3hoursmstraight....I have done 6-9 hours , my ear tendons have stiffen or deaden ..my grammar suzz
tongue.gif

Last thing to worry about is the bass. And absolutely no worries if u are a cave diver.

Specs...the frame sits on top of the cups...in between the spooks n your head. Lotsa space there.

This is the worst "cheap" can to walk away from....IMHO.

Mikros has a clean refined sound...like finely shifted flour...v absorbing once u get sucked into the way it presents the music...
Once u get sucked into the hype.

biggrin.gif

IDK what to believe...

I started to consider IEMs -- steelseries flux. Also considering the stratoKOSSter DIY headphone. Too many options, too little information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back