Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,967 of 6,783
The mod opens up the sound.
Deeper mids.
Solves pre-burn congestion.
Have mine in drawer 4 3days now burning at high volume.
Will be doing lords updated mod for better basss control. .

Really, that's what I have the biggest issue with so far. I will see if it simply gets better with more playing time... and then if I need to do the mod. Exciting nonetheless.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,968 of 6,783
  Pataburd!:

Donald Chump is gonna hafta pry these Mikros 90 out of my rigor mortised fingers, Trunksy!
Take this job, Mister Chump, and do with it as Johnny Paycheck recommends.
Just don't take away my BILLION DOLLAR Babies!!!

*Leaves the building wearing only the Mikros 90 and a pair of argyle socks--er, and a fig leaf.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,969 of 6,783
The mod is v easy...10mins. Or 30mins if u dropped the screws onto the sofa.
And easily reversible...just tape up that little hole under the driver.

Dampen the subterranean chamber as much as u need to match your setup...
What's shown on pic is excellent for a Sansa clip...
If u have an iPad, u need to dampen more...add more blue tac.
Or double up the felt..not sure if there is enuf height to stack up.

Generally I find cotton n sponge to diffuse the sound.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,970 of 6,783
The mod is v easy...10mins. Or 30mins if u dropped the screws onto the sofa.
And easily reversible...just tape up that little hole under the driver.

Dampen the subterranean chamber as much as u need to match your setup...
What's shown on pic is excellent for a Sansa clip...
If u have an iPad, u need to dampen more...add more blue tac.
Or double up the felt..not sure if there is enuf height to stack up.

Generally I find cotton n sponge to diffuse the sound.

Lors,
How many hours were on your pair before you modded?
Might burn mine in for at least 50 hours before doing the mod so the burn-in effects don't bleed into the modding effects.  That way, my post-mod "optimization"/tweaking will be minimized.
There's nothing like post-mod bleedin' burn-in effects to mess up the game, I'll tell ya.  
wink.gif

I'm keeping one of these on my modding bench--to control heart burn-in:

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,971 of 6,783
Should hv clocked up betw 50-100.. It's been working since it touched down.

Ahard tight bass is definitely achievable for anyone who makes a few attempts...
Taking into account your dap, pads, cables, tubes..:p

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,974 of 6,783
Plugged my stock cable into the ultrasone extension cable n into the iPad, set with EQ in off position..
Better bass control, generally a bigger soundstage with the mod..on most songs I get a good forward presentation.

Ideally I get another Mikros n just tune it to the iPad for road duties...
And keep this mikroshypedbass for home duties.
Let me wait for the amazon ice to thaw.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,976 of 6,783
U have the makings of a Mikros Hypist...u bought pads b4 the cans arrive?
biggrin.gif

Let's pray the pads fit, n the rest of the carcass goes to a proper recycling feed.

^ Hypist right below, gets cable in before his Logans. haha  v

Woo hoo - look what I got!

All I'm missing are the damned headphones LOL!

^ LMAO guess that extra for the black beats cable was worth it since they came in so quick. haha : P

Where did you order that cable from, waynes world buddy?

+

The Beats knock-offs that sfwalcer introduced are on Amazon as:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B8S4JI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

99 cents with $3.99 shipping.

Mine are due in this week.

[The bass--on the stock Mikros--from the Crosby, Stills and Nash remaster is pretty BIG and AMPLE as-is.  Can't imagine where the MikrosHypedBass mod will take these tracks!]

^ Oh the cables front, i wouldn't pay more than $5 for that beats cable tbh, cuz these Logans are TRULY reference level and are crazy receptive to cable changes/ sources: DACs/ AMPs etc.

These Logans ARE NOT BASS LITE, if they are you need to check your sources. Connected to my lappy using the FiiO E17 DAC and amped with the Schiit Vali these Logans come out to play. The sound is FULL, with great bass QUANTITY as well as quality even with the stock cable. That's right folks the same stock cable which made them sound kinda thin/lean via my ipods/ venturecraft  portable amp shines like crazy with a warmer DAC/source such as the FiiO E17/ Vali as i have spazzed about before.

The stock cable sound most transparent and "magical" to me cuz it has that amazing sound that i fell in love with, but it is now more full with the source changes. The FiiO cable sounded 2nd best, and is very similar to the stock cable but adds a bit more flavor/ texture/ air while still sounding transparent. 

The cheapo beats cable makes these Logans sound the most conventional/ generic, ie; loses some of that "Logan Magic" in transparency but still sound damn good due to it's more bold/ fuller sound. Texture is not as good as the FiiO cable after burn in, cuz the initial fullness/ weight it had is now toned down.

What surprised me the most is that the V-mode cable was my least favorite. It was just kinda meh on all accounts, cuz their sound was kinda lukewarm without my dynamics nor boldness. It sounded pretty good via my Audinst MX1 DAC/ Vali amp but it just wasn't as engaging as all the other cables. Even the el cheapo beats cable bests them from almost all my sources. 

For folks that want more fullness/ boldness from these Logans STAY AWAY FROM THE V-MODA CABLE!!!

The mod opens up the sound.
Deeper mids.
Solves pre-burn congestion.
Have mine in drawer 4 3days now burning at high volume.
Will be doing lords updated mod for better basss control. .

^ Hey maxx if you can mod the bass of these Logans to have the same bold, full, yet transparent sound of the ATH WS99 even with the stock cable then these Logans are truly UNSTOPABLE!!!

Can't wait for ya'll to finalize these mods, BUT my Logans with the FiiO E17 DAC/ Vali AMP hits hard, full, tight, deep already without messing out their amazing mids/ treble with stock everything so..... LETS JUST SAY I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THEM!!! 
L3000.gif

Forgot to say the material quality of the cups and headband is very high ...
Mostly high polished metal & leather !
smily_headphones1.gif

^ yeppp these are classy lookin' fo' sho. And that soft leather headband MY GAWD SOOOOO nice/ comfy. T_T

I won't have my ET-1 cable till tomorrow :frowning2: but there are open box ones on ebay now for $7 -$10 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=Pipeline%20ET-1&clk_rvr_id=590376209538

Impressions tomorrow on the fit and build at least. The ET-1 is directional and individually stranded like the ET-4. hopefully sounds near as good and plugs right in.
http://pipelineet.com/et-1/

^ Sweet let us know how that cable sound, hope they fit!!!
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,977 of 6,783
Feb 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,978 of 6,783
Dammm....just plugged stock cable into iPad without EQ, hit hotel California...
The sound is crazy good. I am assuming this song is a reference for most folks.

I did enjoy the stock Mikros without mod...there was good bass.

But unplugging that little hole just opens up this can from a small bookshelf speaker to a full blown floor stander.
Most telling is that big big sound scape. Easy depth portrayal..more effortless.

It's like a cross between a denon d7000 bass with a T1 clarity.

As far as cable goes...it's a trial n error tweaking until u hit your personal sweetspot IMHO.
The v moda cable works on my home set up better than the stock cable.
But failed with my Sansa n iPad. :p

----------------------------------------------------

I just discovered what's been screwing my iPad...
When I listened to the songs that had been loaded into my iPad 's internal memory..the sound production is more bassy.
But when I turn on the home sharing mode n stream music from my MacBook base library..
The sound is crazy good.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,979 of 6,783

These Logans ARE NOT BASS LITE, if they are you need to check your sources. Connected to my lappy using the FiiO E17 DAC and amped with the Schiit Vali these Logans come out to play. The sound is FULL, with great bass QUANTITY as well as quality even with the stock cable. That's right folks the same stock cable which made them sound kinda thin/lean via my ipods/ venturecraft  portable amp shines like crazy with a warmer DAC/source such as the FiiO E17/ Vali as i have spazzed about before.

The stock cable sound most transparent and "magical" to me cuz it has that amazing sound that i fell in love with, but it is now more full with the source changes. The FiiO cable sounded 2nd best, and is very similar to the stock cable but adds a bit more flavor/ texture/ air while still sounding transparent. 

The cheapo beats cable makes these Logans sound the most conventional/ generic, ie; loses some of that "Logan Magic" in transparency but still sound damn good due to it's more bold/ fuller sound. Texture is not as good as the FiiO cable after burn in, cuz the initial fullness/ weight it had is now toned down.

So what you are saying is that I got sucked into your pre-mature beats cable hype. Punk! That's ok though, I'm liking this cable with my X1's. I haven't ab'ed them against the ZU cable, but that ZU cable is so damned thick and inflexible that I might just keep using the beats lol.

^ Hey maxx if you can mod the bass of these Logans to have the same bold, full, yet transparent sound of the ATH WS99 even with the stock cable then these Logans are truly UNSTOPABLE!!!

Yup, that would make the 90's truly epic in my books.

So @Maxx134, Sf isn't requesting, he's demanding!  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back