Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,861 of 6,783

Let me suggest this mod...

biggrin.gif

^ But...................... but.... how can i have fun if you cut it. T_T
... dat 10 foot rope swag.
cool.gif

Bad idea...

Get away from this thread while you still have your sanity...

...weird stuff happens here...

^ Weird??? Don't know whatcha' talkin' 'bout.....

You had the "vision" to try!
Or else I would not have even bought them..
no one would have known!
Haha

^ Dat Logans "vision". :)

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,863 of 6,783
Sooooo? Initial impressions:

- Look smaller in person than I thought they would be (that's okay)
- Tight clamping indeed, but not feeling uncomfortable. I just expanded both ends some and it feels fine
- Where's the missing bass? I was afraid  (and expecting) that I would hardly hear any bass, but I hear plenty (rechecking my basshead card). 
- Yes, positioning on your ears the right way is a must! Very finicky 
- Wide soundstage for a close can
- Sound is not as full sounding as I expected yet, but I believe it will open up.

So, not impressed or unimpressed yet. I need more listening and burn in. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,864 of 6,783

- Tight clamping indeed, but not feeling uncomfortable. I just expanded both ends some and it feels fine
- Where's the missing bass? I was afraid  (and expecting) that I would hardly hear any bass, but I hear plenty (rechecking my basshead card). 
- Sound is not as full sounding as I expected yet, but I believe it will open up.

You shouldn't be.  Tons, if not most of us, weren't.

What do you mean they have plenty of bass, but aren't full sounding?

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,865 of 6,783

Pretty much my opinion right now....although I must say that the sound is somewhat thin, tinny and "toy-ish" - plus very crispy sounding right now...and constipated....basically zero decay on notes.  Having said that, they came in here off the UPS truck that they have been sitting in for hours, and were very cool to the touch when unboxed.  I'm assuming they will loosen up and lose the tinny toy sound.  The paradox with the tinny sound is that the bass seems fine out of the box.  Maybe it is just the shape of my head/ears that is causing this.  They do show a ton of promise because of their speed, however.  
biggrin.gif

I do believe in drivers loosening up, or "break-in".  When I bought my K172HD's, they were so awful sounding I thought that I had wasted the $99 I had spent on them - especially compared to my M4U-2's.  Put them on the headphone jack of my Audio-GD NFB-11.32 and let them run from my Pure I-20 with iPod on shuffle for a week or so at a moderate volume, and they were transformed.  Hoping for similar results with these.  Will check in after more time (about 15 minutes on them so far).  Patience will be required.....

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,866 of 6,783
  You shouldn't be.  Tons, if not most of us, weren't.

What do you mean they have plenty of bass, but aren't full sounding?

Not full sounding is referring to the whole sound spectrum. Plenty of bass means I hear bass! I'm not straining to hear bass as I expected I would be. I don't mean basshead levels, of course, but I hear bass. And it's enough bass suffice. Now, will it taper down some from this level would be a concern of mine. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,867 of 6,783
  Pretty much my opinion right now....although I must say that the sound is somewhat thin, tinny and "toy-ish" - plus very crispy sounding right now...and constipated....basically zero decay on notes.  Having said that, they came in here off the UPS truck that they have been sitting in for hours, and were very cool to the touch when unboxed.  I'm assuming they will loosen up and lose the tinny toy sound.  The paradox with the tinny sound is that the bass seems fine out of the box.  Maybe it is just the shape of my head/ears that is causing this.  They do show a ton of promise because of their speed, however.  
biggrin.gif

I do believe in drivers loosening up, or "break-in".  When I bought my K172HD's, they were so awful sounding I thought that I had wasted the $99 I had spent on them - especially compared to my M4U-2's.  Put them on the headphone jack of my Audio-GD NFB-11.32 and let them run from my Pure I-20 with iPod on shuffle for a week or so at a moderate volume, and they were transformed.  Hoping for similar results with these.  Will check in after more time (about 15 minutes on them so far).  Patience will be required.....

Thank you! Exactly how I'm hearing them out of the box. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,869 of 6,783

I have them with my iPhone 4s on shuffle right now, and just going to finish working while listening to these at a reasonable (but not too high) volume for the next couple of hours and then go back my K172HD's for my frame of reference. I seem to be less bothered by those objectionable artifacts as time passes, so that's definitely a good sign.  Still going to give them plenty of time before I conclude anything....and I still have to get them on the home rig too.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,870 of 6,783
Anyone getting pretty bothered by the clamp force these things have? It hurts so much but sounds so good.

Stretch the headband - gently -until you get a good fit.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,871 of 6,783
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

although I must say that the sound is somewhat thin, tinny and "toy-ish" - plus very crispy sounding right now...and constipated....basically zero decay on notes.

Give them 50 hours (pataburd recommends 200 hours).  

The Burn-In Fairies come while you are not looking to sprinkle laxative...err...dust on your Mikros 90s.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,872 of 6,783

Give them 50 hours (pataburd recommends 200 hours).  

The Burn-In Fairies come while you are not looking to sprinkle laxative...err...dust on your Mikros 90s.

No laxatives (Haribo sugarless gummies maybe - see HERE)....and I'll give these hundreds of hours.
popcorn.gif
  They aren't going anywhere...when I buy something at this price, it stays until it dies.....so they will rack up the hours.  
atsmile.gif
  Got 2 sets too....

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,873 of 6,783
Interesting....these things are so very sensitive to placement on the head.  I just rotated them slightly - basically rotating the rear of the earpiece more towards the ear, and it made a very noticeable difference in the sound for the better.  Much less crispy/tinny.  More liquid sounding now....and more impactful on the eardrum.

The experimentation with placement continues....but much better now!

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,874 of 6,783

No laxatives (Haribo sugarless gummies maybe - see HERE)....and I'll give these hundreds of hours.
popcorn.gif
  They aren't going anywhere...when I buy something at this price, it stays until it dies.....so they will rack up the hours.  
atsmile.gif
  Got 2 sets too....

Haha...welcome to the hoarder...err...I mean, the Mikros 90 club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back