Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,066 of 6,783
  I think that we have different preference or may be judge the same phones on different music genre.

I almost listen to female vocal and acoustic jazz. My main hobby is in two channels system for long time, but due to illness of my wife I have no chance to listen to my system anymore. So, let say that I'm very new to headphone world
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

for example, my current two channels is in below picture

When I listen to standard jazz with my two channels system, I not only hear the low frequency of double bass but I can hear the details on string. For example, Spanish Harlem track that bass will go down to 2x Hz. and many people use this track for justify how good of system's for low frequency response.

But I never hear the double bass from Mikros go deep as it should be, neither from Monk, Coltrane, Bill Evan, Oscar Peterson, or let say all from my CDs collection. And that annoy me since, I think I know how the sound of double bass should be. From Mikros the low frequency quite roll off.

I cannot comment on other music genre, since I not listen to rock, heavy, hip hop, etc. And cannot comment Mikros performance for electrical bass, I do not listen much to judge it from my experience.

I have high appreciate for Mikros, and if you read through this thread you will see all my good comments about Mikros.

But I just share my opinion from my old ears that, the weak point of Mikros is in low frequency area.

I also listen to jazz (about 90% of my music collection is jazz) and I also think I know how double bass should sound.   I'm not comparing Mikros to a two channel system (don't have the room in my house for such a setup)...I have to compare it to actual live performances (from memory, since I don't take my headphones to concerts
smile_phones.gif
).   Again, I think the bass is one of the strengths of the Mikros.   Perhaps the Mikros does not go as low as your two channel system, but it goes low enough for my tastes...and it goes lower than many of the headphones I've tried. 

Besides, you are comparing a $300 headphone to a very good two channel system.   It's like saying that the weakness of a BMW 750 is speed since it is not as nimble as a Porsche Carrera GT.   The 750 is a speed demon compared to my Honda Element (the Element is great for taking my dog to the beach though).
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,067 of 6,783
Dear elvergun,
I do not compare with my two channel. My opinion is about mikros and esw11ltd. Glad to hear that you enjoy mikros with jazz. I love mikros with female vocal so much

Dear, Lorspeaker
I think pad of 11ltd will be too big for mikros. Esw9 may be more fit. I will go to hp shop, will bring mikros with me and try with esw9 pad. If you can wait until end of next week, I will let you know the result

p. s. It is midnight now in Thailand. typing from mobile phone on bed is very difficult. Good night and hope all enjoy your music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
  hey bro, since u have both the esw11Ltd n mikros90....
do u think the AT pads can fit the Mikros?? 
and if so, how does it affect the sound or soundstage?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-technica-ear-pad-HP-ESW11-for-ATH-ESW11LTD-Freeshipping-/271176440766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f23601bbe

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,068 of 6,783
To be fair, you did say "when I listen to my two channel system, I not only hear..." so it does sound like you were comparing :)

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,069 of 6,783
  I do not compare with my two channel. My opinion is about mikros and esw11ltd. Glad to hear that you enjoy mikros with jazz. I love mikros with female vocal so much

Hmm.  That  just means that the AT does bass better than the ML (for your tastes), not that the Mikro's weak point is in the bass (and you are still comparing a $100-300 model to one that costs $700-1000) .

Well, I'm glad we had this little exchange...since now I now have the ESW11 on my list of must try headphones.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,070 of 6,783
goodnite n sleep tight...ok the esw9pads should fit then. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,073 of 6,783
Everyone go buy the fostex te-05 now!!!! I demand you:smiling_imp::sunglasses:

Why in this thread? Do they sound like the Mikros 90 or something?

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,076 of 6,783
Update: This has already past. Did anyone buy them?
Newegg will have these for $68 today at 1:00PM pacific time but it requires a rebate to get it down to that price from $88. It's one of their shell shocker deals that will run from 1:00PM to 2:59 PST.

I paid $130 in the initial discount of these headphones and found it to be a great deal. then it went to $99 and then less. I really don't need another set but if they were this price without the rebate, I'd consider it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,077 of 6,783
Feb 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,078 of 6,783
You guys are making my decision hard. I have some money to jump on the bandwagon with but I have to decide between this and a double helix cable for my HE-6 for a different sound sig and for use as a backup.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,079 of 6,783
Newegg is having Shellshock from 1pm PST to 3pm PST. This is the best deal so far. Get them while it last.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?nm_mc=EMC-SD022014&cm_mmc=EMC-SD022014-_-SD020914-_-item-_-26-532-001&et_cid=5146&et_rid=148886

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,080 of 6,783
  I use ATH-ESW-11LTD and Mikros 90 during working hour, and ATH-W1000 in my bed room.

I test 11LTD and 90 back and forth using X3 DAP. Conclusions from my old ears are
  • I like sound stage of Mikros
  • I can hear more details in high frequency from Mikros (this really annoy me too much, why on earth that 90$ phone blow my 700$ phone away)
  • Mikros has a better tonal balance for my taste but some time I also want more fun feeling that I can get from 11LTD
  • Female vocal seem to be more pleasure on Mikros. 11LTD also do good job, but high note from female vocal on 11LTD make me not so comfortable
  • Only week point on Mikros is bass. Don't get me wrong, I'm 51 and not bass head. I listen to vocal, jazz and some classical. When I talk about bass, I mean double bass from standard jazz or bass from contemporary jazz such as four play, Grover Washington, etc

I will try Mikros with some better player such as AK120 or HM901. If it make Mikros better in low frequency area, I will buy another one as spare.

^ OH SCHIIT!!! HANGS WITH THOSE GODLY ATH ESW-11LTDs HYPED!!!
deadhorse.gif

Great impressions meng, i might be able to hear a modded ATH that supposedly sound close to theose ESW-11LTDs in the near future. Can't wait!!!
popcorn.gif

those woods are beautiful :)

The bass on my Mikros has more body when i plugged in an Ultrasone extention cable that i had in my drawer...
so i reckon a suitable cable change would solve that. 

ooo....i taken a peek at that site...too complex for me, blush. i 'll be content with wats original. 
( trying to upgrads hisoundaudio firmware had driven me nuts...hehe)

=========================

^ Let us see that GODLY cable!!!

Pisssssssh peons.
rolleyes.gif

Cake meng.

About the bass...I don't think this is a weakness of the Mikros.  It seems you would prefer a little more bass (or perhaps a different presentation).   IMO, the bass produced by the Mikros is one of its strengths.

The Mikros 90's bass is more like the bass of the T1, H800 and T5p (cans I currently own), than the bass of the HD650, the Ultrasone HFI-780 and the Momentum (can's I owned and sold).   

I could say that one of weak points of the HD650 is the bass (all mid-bass  and not sub-bass), but some people are in love with the HD650 and the bass it produces, so I would rather just say that I did not like the 650's bass.

^ Not a "weakness" per se BUT the bass is not enough in quantity for people that really likes their bass BIG and FULL. The bass quantity and quality of these Logans is not the "conventional" type as you have hinted at ie: that of the HD650s, even the Philips Fidelio X1s but it is more mid bass centric than sub bass that is for sure. These got amazing clean fast punchy bass but just doesn't have that voluptuous/ fullness that most bass centric cans have.

You know even a semi-bass head such as myself i am pretty damn happy with the bass presentation/ quality of these Logans, but i was thinking last night when i was listening to them that if these Logans had that clean/ full/ and transparent qualities of the ATH WS99s, this lil' can would be truly unstoppable. Just imagine if these have more extension/ fullness/ texture in their sub bass also some added volume in their mid bass as well, MY GOD!!! G.G GAME OVA' ENDGAME FO' SHO!!!
basshead.gif

There might be some crazy modder in the near future that can mod them to achieve this cuz they hype train is taking off on these so there is hope due to the growing fan base.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks! I don't think I will. I hadn't paid much attention to Mikros thread after the first few weeks then picked it up again in the last week or so. Turns out they seem to be much better than the first impressions and now they are cheaper to boot. $90 still seemed worth it but if you get to match the cheapest price too all the better.

Are you sure these are your signature mister troll sir? Think the Mikros is lush enough for you?
smile.gif

Anyhow since I doubt I'll carve up my Cardas since I use it on the HM9 and plenty of Aux-in use, I'll probably grab another separate cable for the Mikros and not switch out that much. Straight plug, non-mic that will fit. Anybody have a Nuforce Transient that can shed some light on the plug size and the SQ/ possible signature influence?

^ Yeah i probably wouldn't be THAT impressed with them if i had quick audition of them esp. in a noisy environment cuz all their nuances/ micro details might have lost. But in quiet night time setting lordy lord!!! That was when i realized how glorious these sounded and i am sure their lack of fullness in bass end was why they failed to impress many when they had briefly auditioned them.

Too Lushhh...............???

Pulled the trigger 
Let's see how these stack up my HE-500's

^ GREAT another victim!!!
devil_face.gif

Everyone go buy the fostex te-05 now!!!! I demand you:smiling_imp::sunglasses:

Meh you don't even have those TE-05 Frosties meng, dunno whatcha' be talkin' 'bout.
happy_face1.gif

Newegg will have these for $68 today at 1:00PM pacific time but it requires a rebate to get it down to that price from $88. It's one of their shell shocker deals that will run from 1:00PM and 2:59.

I paid $130 in the initial discount of these headphones and found it to be a great deal. then it went to $99 and then less. I really don't need another set but if they were this price without the rebate, I'd consider it.

^ Yeppp same here, would LOVE to get another set of these new for that low price since the set i got was used, but that goodness was abused. Best $63 i have spent on audio PERIOD!!!
Those Beyer DT-250s for $30 comes close @ 2nd. 
ksc75smile.gif

You guys are making my decision hard. I have some money to jump on the bandwagon with but I have to decide between this and a double helix cable for my HE-6 for a different sound sig and for use as a backup.

^ C'mon meng a cable??? LMAO

Like i be saying cable guys meng you just can't trust them. Too much snake oil with that 'ish. haha

Plus you need to save up for dem cables you be rollin' on these Logans.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back