Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,456 of 6,783

^ Nice. So here is the cable breakdown so far:

V-Moda (most airy/ softer in presentation, stage is lifted but has the least weight, punch, texture)

FiiO MH1 (is less airy than the V-moda and i would say is right in between the stock and V-Moda one, though it is more musical than the stock and V-Moda cable due to the increased bass quantity it is kinda boxy/dry sounding to me)

Stock Logan cable (the most tight, snappy, clean, clear and fastest sounding of them all, hence the overall sound can seem more thin/ lean due to it lacking fullness in the bass, most 3D sounding/ micro details more apparent due to its transparency)

Cheapo Beats (has the most weight/ texture, with a good touch of added warmth and fullness, speed and clarity is still very good but doesn't "appear" as 3D/ clean as the stock cable but they don't muddy up the sound at all though, the most fun, musical and engaging by far)

Where can I get the cheapo beats cable?

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,457 of 6,783
Look for Sf's post a few pages back - he provided plenty of links.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,458 of 6,783
  TroLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoL!!! Houston WE HAVE A WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER............... for as low as $2.40 shipped!!!
eek.gif

Oh yeah this cheapo beats aftermarket cable brings the "beats" to these Logans alright. More full sound, punchier with more weight and warmth as well as texture??? SAY WHOA???

......!!!

Man these are crazy BOMBASTIC sounding, the least funky in presentation by far. More of your conventional audiophile basshead can sound but done soooo right, kinda reminds me of the WS99s. LMAO Best the craps outta' the ES700s in the bass department for sure now. WOW!!! O.O

I DON'T BELIEVE!!! MOMMIE HOLD ME!!!
L3000.gif

Doesn't sound boxy, dry or flat at all. NICE. SO FUN SO DYNAMIC & ENGAGING me likey. With this sound these Logans can even be great for portable use now. LMAO

This one ships form Hong Kong:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-L-Jack-3-5mm-Replacement-Audio-AUX-Cable-Cord-Lead-for-BEATS-STUDIO-SOLO-PRO-/221332814323?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item338876b9f3

This is the one i got but from a different seller for $4.70
mad.gif
,  this one is only for $4 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Red-3-5mm-Audio-Cable-Cord-for-Beats-Pro-Solo-Studio-HD-Headphone-/151213257173?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item23350331d5

The 90 degree plug version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Red-L-Shape-3-5mm-Audio-Cable-Cord-for-Beats-Pro-Solo-Studio-HD-new-/151213264307?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2335034db3

They should all be the same.

Can this one fit as well cuz it looks a bit different and has beats logo it seems.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-Replacement-Headphone-Cable-3-5mm-L-SHAPE-for-Beats-by-Dre-Pro-Solo-Detox-/390715919058?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item5af87bcad2

Found it.  I guess I'll try the 2nd or 3rd since they're in New York.  Not worth saving $1 to get from HK.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,459 of 6,783

Found it.  I guess I'll try the 2nd or 3rd since they're in New York.  Not worth saving $1 to get from HK.

Yup. I just can't do red. I can live with my H200 red cable, but that's it!

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,460 of 6,783
Yeah, I can't wait to get it and my amp. Next week already seems so far away. 

But, seriously, anyone who says these are bass light simply has to blame either their source or the recordings that they're listening to. I decided to listen to the Vicious Delicious album, and I think that it definitely confirms what I said earlier about what these headphones staying true to recordings. On the album, there's a lot of mixing between light and heavy/impactful bass, and the latter hits quite hard. It's just not that crazily overbearing (for lack of a better word; it's late) bass that something that the VSD1S has. And, again, this is with the stock cable and no amp. 

Edit: Honestly, I'm ridiculously eager to hear what these sound like amped, as well as my B3s. And, I'll be most definitely interested in the te-05 if what mochill says about them as compared to the 90s ends up holding true. 

I am still going to blame the headphones.

Sure, a source can help bring the bass output of these beauts, but you forgot the biggest factor of a headphone user.

Our sound preference. And the fit of these headphones in particular, as me and doctor have problems with the fit sometimes.

I enjoy good bass quality and enough bass quantity. I want a bit more bass quantity than my es700s. The martins almost reach the quantity of the es70ps, which to me, is enough. However, it is bass light Imo when the bass levels are a bit less or at the es700s level.

The re700s have more than the es700s in bass quality and quantity for nd to be satisfied. The quality of the martins are also better than es700s.

Cable source is the only thing I care about, I'm not spending money on an amp or dac at the moment.

The martins are still badass, especially in comparison to the rest of my gear.

But to me, the re700s are just as good as the martins in some ways, and quantity of bass Is one factor.

Sfw saved my martins life with that beats cable. I'm ordering it on monday.

Also, I know that the recording depends on the quantity, but again, my preference gets in the way of enjoying the martins to the fullest.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,461 of 6,783
Hmmm?

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,462 of 6,783
Oh, and though me and doctor find the bass lite at times, it's a great headphone thatpeople should definitely buy!

If my post above sounded rude, it wasn't meant to be read that way

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,463 of 6,783
Oh, and though me and doctor find the bass lite at times, it's a great headphone thatpeople should definitely buy!

If my post above sounded rude, it wasn't meant to be read that way

Add me to the bass lite group.  I ordered the beats cable as well!

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,464 of 6,783
  Try listening to Dark Horse by Katy Perry.  Compared to my other headphones, it doesn't reach as low.  Maybe it's missing sub-bass?

I admit that these are on the light side when it comes to sub bass. I can feel it, but it's light; mostly I hear where the sub bass is/should be, if that makes sense. Anyway, I listened to Dark Horse, and I think that the bass may be light in general for the recording. But, yeah, the 90s aren't really reproducing the sub bass like how I hear on the B3s (chest level) or from a subwoofer. I guess the rest of the sound was so good that I glanced over the lack of sub bass. I think if you want to hear how hard the bass can hit--well, as much as it has for me to date-- you should listen to Eat it Raw by Infected Mushroom. 

I am still going to blame the headphones.

Sure, a source can help bring the bass output of these beauts, but you forgot the biggest factor of a headphone user.

Our sound preference. And the fit of these headphones in particular, as me and doctor have problems with the fit sometimes.

I enjoy good bass quality and enough bass quantity. I want a bit more bass quantity than my es700s. The martins almost reach the quantity of the es70ps, which to me, is enough. However, it is bass light Imo when the bass levels are a bit less or at the es700s level.

The re700s have more than the es700s in bass quality and quantity for nd to be satisfied. The quality of the martins are also better than es700s.

Cable source is the only thing I care about, I'm not spending money on an amp or dac at the moment.

The martins are still badass, especially in comparison to the rest of my gear.

But to me, the re700s are just as good as the martins in some ways, and quantity of bass Is one factor.

Sfw saved my martins life with that beats cable. I'm ordering it on monday.

Also, I know that the recording depends on the quantity, but again, my preference gets in the way of enjoying the martins to the fullest.

True, but can you really blame the Martins for being reference, or near reference? But, then again, I don't really know how to reference bass, at least not "woofer" type. i mean, is it simply the ability to detect the change in the bass line and extension while having as much quantity as possible? If so, I think that these would rank pretty high. But, then I wonder what would be considered exaggerated? Also,  I'll have to listen to some songs that have a bass guitar focus to really tell from that perspective. I still think that it has more to do with the recording, because I really don't think the 90s lack that much in bass as compared to my bass heavy IEMs when the track calls for them to really hit. So, judging by what I've read it more or less seems to depend on whether you want more in quantity with the chances of losing out in overall quality, which yeah, is a preference. 

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated as to how these sound amped as well as how I think they sound through the beats cable. Both should be here some time next week. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,465 of 6,783
I admit that these are on the light side when it comes to sub bass. I can feel it, but it's light; mostly I hear where the sub bass is/should be, if that makes sense. Anyway, I listened to Dark Horse, and I think that the bass may be light in general for the recording. But, yeah, the 90s aren't really reproducing the sub bass like how I hear on the B3s (chest level) or from a subwoofer. I guess the rest of the sound was so good that I glanced over the lack of sub bass. I think if you want to hear how hard the bass can hit--well, as much as it has for me to date-- you should listen to Eat it Raw by Infected Mushroom. 

True, but can you really blame the Martins for being reference, or near reference? But, then again, I don't really know how to reference bass, at least not "woofer" type. i mean, is it simply the ability to detect the change in the bass line and extension while having as much quantity as possible? If so, I think that these would rank pretty high. But, then I wonder what would be considered exaggerated? Also,  I'll have to listen to some songs that have a bass guitar focus to really tell from that perspective. I still think that it has more to do with the recording, because I really don't think the 90s lack that much in bass as compared to my bass heavy IEMs when the track calls for them to really hit. So, judging by what I've read it more or less seems to depend on whether you want more in quantity with the chances of losing out in overall quality, which yeah, is a preference. 

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated as to how these sound amped as well as how I think they sound through the beats cable. Both should be here some time next week. 

It's the headphones purpose really. These are reference headphones, I won't blame the headphone for following their word and promise.

I just blame the phone for not coloring them when I want the bass, lol

Let me explain. I love that these headphones for putting out the exact sounds you would here in a studio recording. However, that reference sound is a double edged sword. If you want more bass, you need to eq or get a source that helps the headphone improve in its bass. That's where I was going at. This headphone alone doesn't satisfy me completely, and I'd be stupid for calling it my last headphone, because I'm never going to stop exploring other headphones, even if these are actually as good and better than some )$300

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,466 of 6,783
+1 ... well said.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #1,467 of 6,783
It's the headphones purpose really. These are reference headphones, I won't blame the headphone for following their word and promise.

I just blame the phone for not coloring them when I want the bass, lol

Let me explain. I love that these headphones for putting out the exact sounds you would here in a studio recording. However, that reference sound is a double edged sword. If you want more bass, you need to eq or get a source that helps the headphone improve in its bass. That's where I was going at. This headphone alone doesn't satisfy me completely, and I'd be stupid for calling it my last headphone, because I'm never going to stop exploring other headphones, even if these are actually as good and better than some )$300

I can definitely feel where you're coming from. I'm actually looking at the Mad Dogs or CAL 2 to have as a complement to these for when I want the sub bass that a song like Dark Horse requires. Really, I didn't notice the lack of sub bass until I listened to started from the bottom by Drake (to test it out), because I've been listening to a minimal amount of hip hop here lately. 

Anyway, if I was to rate how I feel the bass from my head downward, I'd say that these directly out of my 920 easily reaches down to at least my neck. Now, that reverberating bass that the two above songs utilize is, admittedly, fairly light, but still present. 

Edit: meant to say reach down to my neck when a song like Eat it Raw calls for it. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,469 of 6,783
My ET-1 cable has shipped. Hopefully I'll get it by mid-week. More snow might slow it :frowning2:

I haven't decided on a new "audiophile player" yet and no longer have my amps so I'm just running the Mikros pretty much naked. Still the simple word to describe them is "right". Everything just sounds right or correct. No flaws or things that seem off. Better stage size out there, better absolute resolution out there, better extension on the ends out there to but for a small, quite portable on-ear I'm not gonna/can't say a bad thing about them unless they break on me or something :) Yeah, they don't work well with some players equipped with speakers but the ET-1 will convert from the 3-pole plug. Can't say anything negative w/o sounding like an audiophile snob esp. for $60
rolleyes.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,470 of 6,783
It's a personal preference thing. And it depends on the music you're listening to. I can be quite happy listening to trance with my AD900X (well, off the the E12 that provides it with some bass). But I always end up listening to trance with my X1's because of how nicely they handle the bass (and provide more bass emphasis).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back