Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #1,441 of 6,783
APB for PredatorZ!!!!!!!

A few folks have expressed interest in the Pipeline ET-4, but need the input plug barrel reduction mod.  Would you be able to mod a few if I send them direct to you?  Then you can forward them to the respective parties.  I am out of town most of the time and away from the tools.

Will reimburse you for the forwarding fees.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,442 of 6,783
Had an enjoyable listen with the Mikros 90 cabled with the FiiO RC MH1 last night.  Up until midnight again!!!

That added tincture of midbass presence seems to have settled down and sounds better integrated with the rest of the bass response, providing appreciable depth and articulation [atop the added midbass presence].  I did swap my driver tube to the Raytheon 6SN7GTB (tall bottle/gray plates), so that may have had something to do with it as well.  Absolute treble and bass extension still go to the ET-4, though.

Steve Miller Band's "Threshold" came across with nice push and added drive.  Subtle, but "there".

Hiroshima, from their Go album: Barbara Long's vocals on "Even Then" and "Why Can't I Love You" were simply delicious and incredibly transparent.  Background vocals were emerging from a HUGE soundstage that was not only large but naturally proportioned and laid out in organic 3-D space--believable.  

Different cable + different driver tube = "Different" Mikros 90.  MAN, THESE HEADPHONES ARE INCREDIBLE!!!!

Best Audiophile purchase I have ever made--I'm with mochill on this one.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,443 of 6,783
Don't really want to get into this debate here but I'll just leave this here...

Ain't no harm in trying though! (especially if they are that cheap)

I am no graph reader...but can u attempt a simplified explanation wats going on with the jumping spikes at the end..?
The pads were not sealing properly on the dummy?

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,445 of 6,783

Beagle are the Paradigm H15 even close to these hyped up Mikros? Saw them around same price as well, similar sort of pad style and form factor, sort of.

And the ADL , something about those keeps brining me back to stare at the listings

Thanks for all your Mikros90 impressions everyone.

Not the same sound. Think of the H15 as a P5 with a bit more top end.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,449 of 6,783
I just ordered the 5 Pipeline ET-4s for you lucky winners.

If the Predator is still up for it, I will send the cables to him for the plug barrel mod.  I will pay forwarding shipment fees.

Or I will try to find time to mod them and ship them out to the recipients.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,452 of 6,783
  We are talking about the HD650, no?  At least that is how the spectral graph is labeled.

Actually, he is just talking about the effect of cables (I didn't realize it until you pointed out that the graph is for the HD650's, so thanks for pointing that out).

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,453 of 6,783

^ LoL they should all be the same, just judge them base on their looks and not the written mumble jumble/ claims of the sellers cuz i am sure they are all made in the same factory somewhere in China that makes bootlegs. haha
I would just go for the lowest price one tbh, so i ordered a "L" jack one from that HK seller for $2, let the wait begin!!!
popcorn.gif

Well, I couldn`t find any cheap black ones with an L jack, so I ended up getting this one:

I would also prefer an L jack though. Found this one, but I don't have a clue if it's the same thing (although it looks pretty similar):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Black-L-Jack-Cord-Cable-Wire-Beats-By-Dre-Solo-HD-Studio-Pro-1-2m-/251427199710?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a8a3a9ade
Replacement Black L Jack Cord Cable Wire Beats By Dre Solo/HD/Studio/Pro - 1.2m

With shipping, $14 - far cry from $2! And I have no idea if it`s any good. All in all, a very spaz-taneous purchase! At least it`s from the U.S., so it shouldn`t take more than a couple of weeks.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,454 of 6,783

^ Nope not that i have noticed, just mo' clean, full, weightier, better textured bass all around is alls. Like i said it makes these Logans sound more like the conventional audiophile basshead cans, yet all the original traits that makes these Logans great are still there.

Which cable was this?

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,455 of 6,783

Yeah, I can't wait to get it and my amp. Next week already seems so far away. 

But, seriously, anyone who says these are bass light simply has to blame either their source or the recordings that they're listening to. I decided to listen to the Vicious Delicious album, and I think that it definitely confirms what I said earlier about what these headphones staying true to recordings. On the album, there's a lot of mixing between light and heavy/impactful bass, and the latter hits quite hard. It's just not that crazily overbearing (for lack of a better word; it's late) bass that something that the VSD1S has. And, again, this is with the stock cable and no amp. 

Edit: Honestly, I'm ridiculously eager to hear what these sound like amped, as well as my B3s. And, I'll be most definitely interested in the te-05 if what mochill says about them as compared to the 90s ends up holding true. 

Try listening to Dark Horse by Katy Perry.  Compared to my other headphones, it doesn't reach as low.  Maybe it's missing sub-bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back