Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,381 of 6,783
  After a night of burning, I'm still finding upper mids a bit harsh and unbalanced compared to the lows.  I would prefer either more lows to compensate or less upper mids.  Will keep burning to 200 hrs as pataburd suggests.

Better keep one of these handy because the Mikros 90 get pretty hot!!!

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,382 of 6,783
  FiiO RC MH1 is $35, almost 1/2 the price of the headphone.  Does it make that much difference?

Pipeline ET-4 can be had for $19.99 on sale, which I think is definitely worth it.  Plus it is very compatible with the Mikros 90 "house sound" [IMHO] and seems to reinforce the ML's strengths.  I have always liked solid core construction.  The wires in the ET-4 are solid core and individually sheathed, I believe.

*EDIT:
Pipeline ET-4 selling for $8.99 on Amazon right now!!
http://www.amazon.com/PipeLine-PLET4B10-Premium-3-5mm-Stereo/dp/B008AS0OGY

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,383 of 6,783
  ^ Pad over pad that's how you roll. Nuff said.
cool.gif

How does this affect the sound? 

Because, for me, the stock pads are pretty comfortable. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust them and then I was able to listen to them for about 7 hours straight last night with no problems. The top of my ear started to hurt pretty bad after that though. 

Anyway, these definitely sound pretty awesome. And, in comparison to my other IEMs, they seem to stay true to the recordings. So, I can see why some people are saying they're bass light. For instance some of my hip hop sounds somewhat bass light in comparison to, say, the bass from from Better in Time or Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis (16 hrs total burn in) sounds-- really solid impact/power and seems to reach pretty deep. Honestly, to my ears, drums sound amazing on this headphone. It's not bass head level, but the quality is amazing. Female vocals also sound pretty amazing as well. I was also paying close attention to the strings after reading pataburd's post, and I have to say that I can definitely hear the strumming of the strings, and it sound very nice. 

Right now, I'm definitely considering buying a second pair. And, I'm eagerly awaiting my 2Stepdance because I do think that these will benefit from the extra power. Also, I'm wanting it to get hear so I can more accurately compare my Havi B3 (closest IEM I have in terms of quality) to it, because they are harder to drive then these, and I don't think I'm getting the best out of them right now. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,384 of 6,783

How does this affect the sound? 

Because, for me, the stock pads are pretty comfortable. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust them and then I was able to listen to them for about 7 hours straight last night with no problems. The top of my ear started to hurt pretty bad after that though. 

Anyway, these definitely sound pretty awesome. And, in comparison to my other IEMs, they seem to stay true to the recordings. So, I can see why some people are saying they're bass light. For instance some of my hip hop sounds somewhat bass light in comparison to, say, the bass from from Better in Time or Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis (16 hrs total burn in) sounds-- really solid impact/power and seems to reach pretty deep. Honestly, to my ears, drums sound amazing on this headphone. It's not bass head level, but the quality is amazing. Female vocals also sound pretty amazing as well. I was also paying close attention to the strings after reading pataburd's post, and I have to say that I can definitely hear the strumming of the strings, and it sound very nice. 

Right now, I'm definitely considering buying a second pair. And, I'm eagerly awaiting my 2Stepdance because I do think that these will benefit from the extra power. Also, I'm wanting it to get hear so I can more accurately compare my Havi B3 (closest IEM I have in terms of quality) to it, because they are harder to drive then these, and I don't think I'm getting the best out of them right now. 

I like the stock pads, too.  And I like that contact between my cheekbone and the edge of the ear cup.  It might enhance the airiness and 3-dimensionality of the sound, as well as reinforce the bass resonance.  After a few months the pads give in a bit. too.  

Yes.  The Mikros 90 are a very special set of headphones!!  They will benefit--and so will your ears--from more juice.  The Mikros 90's only limitations are in the upstream gear [IMHO].  I am battling the impulse to get the Burson Soloist at the moment.

Anyway, GLAD to hear from another SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

Welcome to the Mikros 90 madhouse thread!!  Keep us posted!!

beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,385 of 6,783
Hey Mikros 90 Guys, stateside.  Give me/PM me your shipping addresses and I will have the ET-4 shipped to you direct.  First FIVE responders only!!!  

Supplies are limited.  Offer good only as long as supplies last!!!

BEWARE: you may have to whittle down the input plug barrel of the ET-4 to fit the MLs access hole [which is spec-ed out for a 6.5 mm/0.25 input plug barrel].  So if you are not up to the machining, kindly decline the offer.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,386 of 6,783
  Pipeline ET-4 can be had for $19.99 on sale, which I think is definitely worth it.  Plus it is very compatible with the Mikros 90 "house sound" [IMHO] and seems to reinforce the ML's strengths.  I have always liked solid core construction.  The wires in the ET-4 are solid core and individually sheathed, I believe.

*EDIT:

Can't trust a company that uses Papyrus font on a commercial product. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,388 of 6,783
Groovin' on some '90s Chinese pop tunes* with the Logans, the KMF amp and the . . . [gulp/blush] . . . FiiO RC MH1--which at the moment is not approved by a 2/3 majority vote from the Mikros 90 Board of Trustees (the honorable sfwalcer presiding).  Have to apply for a provisional license before the boys come after me in the wee hours.

*Can't read any of the titles or understand any of the words, but sure am enjoying the songs!!  LOL!

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,390 of 6,783
  I like the stock pads, too.  And I like that contact between my cheekbone and the edge of the ear cup.  It might enhance the airiness and 3-dimensionality of the sound, as well as reinforce the bass resonance.  After a few months the pads give in a bit. too.  

Yes.  The Mikros 90 are a very special set of headphones!!  They will benefit--and so will your ears--from more juice.  The Mikros 90's only limitations are in the upstream gear [IMHO].  I am battling the impulse to get the Burson Soloist at the moment.

Anyway, GLAD to hear from another SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

Welcome to the Mikros 90 madhouse thread!!  Keep us posted!!

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Yeah, I really like the way they feel too. I actually sent an email to ML not too long ago asking if they would sell replacement parts. But I'm really thinking about just buying a second Mikros 90. 

Will definitely keep everyone updated as well.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,391 of 6,783
  Hey Mikros 90 Guys, stateside.  Give me/PM me your shipping addresses and I will have the ET-4 shipped to you direct.  First FIVE responders only!!!  

Supplies are limited.  Offer good only as long as supplies last!!!

BEWARE: you may have to whittle down the input plug barrel of the ET-4 to fit the MLs access hole [which is spec-ed out for a 6.5 mm/0.25 input plug barrel].  So if you are not up to the machining, kindly decline the offer.

I'll pm you the address if a fiio cable is being shipped instead. 
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,392 of 6,783
  Packin' it in for the night.  Leaving the office--and internet access--because it is snowing heavily at the moment.
I'll check my PMs in the morning, Deo volente.
First Five get the Pipeline   : )

there's gonna be another cold snap...? i am holding back making internet orders..until the thawing starts. question is when..:p

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-cbrea1b15go00-jpg-20140212,0,2371762.photo
these clouds moving acoss the continent ..geezz

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,393 of 6,783

*EDIT:

You lads south of the 49th have access to deals that those of us north of the 49th can only dream about.  Best I can do is $30 shipped off the 'bay.  And Amazon dropped the Mikros down to $79 today.....sigh.  May fork over the $30 though....

Dang....wish I was stateside!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back