Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #5,717 of 6,783
If this is about yesterdays game Brazil really shamed the name of soccer in every way yesterday. If this is still about the Mikros 90's they are definitely one of my favorite headphones (and my favorite of what i own now) though my current budget does not really allow me to try for anything newer xD out of curiosity what is the general consensus on these headphones? 

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #5,719 of 6,783
The Mikros 90 [Stock Pair #2, w/Teds UP-OCC silver] really hold their own, even in the "exalted" company of the PM-1 and K812.  

I still think the MLs have the best overall spectral balance, best dynamic attack and best bass extension/presence of the three [albeit on "no-great-shakes" equipment].

The PM-1 and K812 get the edge for micro-detail retrieval.  The K812 are the "airiest", with the biggest soundstage.  The PM-1 are the most lush-sounding.

Listening to The Best of BTO, I preferred (1) Mikros 90, (2) PM-1 and (3) K812.

Really need to get the hybrid Bada PH-12 back up-and-running and mate it with the K812 [hopefully, it will be a good match] before passing final judgment on the AKGs.  The K812 sound fine with even mediocre SS amping, but should sound even better with tubes [as Lors alluded to earlier]. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #5,720 of 6,783

Excellent! Looking forward to the comparison to both the 90's and 1350's :)

Been listening to the yamahas for a couple of days now and they definitely live up to the hype and are worth far more than the $120 i paid for them. In some ways they are quite similar to the mikros 90's in that the clarity and the highs really stand out when you put them on, i'd have to give the edge to the mikros 90 as i do notice a little harshness and sibilance from the mt220's at times, the dt1350's really dont compete here at all with rolled off treble and sounding a bit muffled in comparison.
Mid range is a tough call, but again i think the mikros 90's may have a slight edge as the mt220's are maybe a bit harsher in the upper regions and the dt1350s lacking the clarity. Bass response is much easier to judge, although the mikros 90's have good definition i find they lack the impact i like, where as both the beyers and yamahas have great definition, extension and impact without being overpowering. The yamahas seem to have more of a mid bass hump where as the beyers seem to have better definition and both extend down low. Soundstage is of course a no contest, going from the dt1350's & mikros 90's to the mt220's is like listening to music in your closet versus listening to music in a stadium. It really is quite amazing how open and enveloping the sound is for a closed back can, isolation is pretty much non existent tho which may explain things. Comfort is a no brainer either, neither of the on ears can compare to the yamahas huge pillow like pads.
I really like all 3 to be honest, the mt220's are amazing for movie soundtracks and live recordings, the dt1350s for hip-hop & rnb and the mikros 90's for my portable listening.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #5,721 of 6,783
still kicking myself...u got it for usd120....lol. 
if u have a pair of velor sitting around, try it on the yamaha. :p

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,723 of 6,783
well ..its official ..thanks to a certain member in here i have signed on this crazy cult train !! . and loving it :) 

for my own still rather audiophile newbie point of view . 

1.its not as comfortable as my over the ear . but its no where near the claims i head about clamping power and such . and my head is rather big . 

2.my ears are big too and i was afraid it may not fit them ..but it does a better job of isolating then my over the ear.

3. sound quality is indeed amazing..i think people complaining about bass are just too used for basshead phones . 
listening to a very difficult song on the phones like some music from batman i was not only shocked these "mini" phones could not only articulate every single bass , but i indeed like people described, heard some new stuff. which leads me to. 

4. on the path of finding a phone for me i wanted just one thing which is clarity ..and i am glad these phones dont dissapoint..i did play with the EQ though . to fit it to my liking more ..but its just out of personal taste . 

5.since i plug them ..for now . into the back of my computer ..the cable is just too short . so ..asking for a little help getting a descent 6feet cable .

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5,724 of 6,783
  well ..its official ..thanks to a certain member in here i have signed on this crazy cult train !! . and loving it :) 

for my own still rather audiophile newbie point of view . 

1.its not as comfortable as my over the ear . but its no where near the claims i head about clamping power and such . and my head is rather big . 

2.my ears are big too and i was afraid it may not fit them ..but it does a better job of isolating then my over the ear.

3. sound quality is indeed amazing..i think people complaining about bass are just too used for basshead phones . 
listening to a very difficult song on the phones like some music from batman i was not only shocked these "mini" phones could not only articulate every single bass , but i indeed like people described, heard some new stuff. which leads me to. 

4. on the path of finding a phone for me i wanted just one thing which is clarity ..and i am glad these phones dont dissapoint..i did play with the EQ though . to fit it to my liking more ..but its just out of personal taste . 

5.since i plug them ..for now . into the back of my computer ..the cable is just too short . so ..asking for a little help getting a descent 6feet cable .

Welcome aboard, rinki!
beerchug.gif

It's great to have another new Mikros 90 owner and fellow hype-crafter check in and reinforce the favorable impressions many of us share with you. 

Radio Shack's Auvio is a nice 6 ft. cable for the Mikros 90, but be forewarned the cable can be stiff and microphonic.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #5,726 of 6,783

Psvane CV181-T Mkii....slurpzzzz, it is one class above all the 6NS7s i have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Psvane-CV181-T-Mark-II-Vacuum-Tube-New-Premium-Grade-Treasure-Tube-/251170137281

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #5,727 of 6,783
  Welcome aboard, rinki!
beerchug.gif

It's great to have another new Mikros 90 owner and fellow hype-crafter check in and reinforce the favorable impressions many of us share with you. 

Radio Shack's Auvio is a nice 6 ft. cable for the Mikros 90, but be forewarned the cable can be stiff and microphonic.

thank you  ..what do you mean by microphonic ? 

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #5,730 of 6,783
What a superb set of portables, these Martin Logans!

Just finished John Williams:

. . . sounded incredible with the Mikros 90 [Stock Pair #2], Teds UP-OCC silver cable and the ß22.  The silver cable greatly enlarges the soundstage, adds lots of detail together with natural warmth and weight.  The mellowness/richness of the horns with the silver cable is really special, especially given the way the brass sections are laid out on this disc.  With the [old] RAM-modded DVD-841HD and beta, I preferred the Mikros 90 to both the PM-1 and the K812 this time around.

Ran the DT770/600 Premium with the Bada hybrid.  The Beyers were returned quickly to their box.  The "Premium" line has really emptied me of any prior allegiance I might have had to Beyerdynamic.  I repeat: aside from the DT880 Pro/2003 version, I have lost all interest.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back