Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #3,571 of 6,783
Ok..it's clearer now the issue..it's about how to control the VOLUME inside each cup..independently.

Nim said toying with the hole, the way he has done didn't help..it just colored the sound...
Ditto putting stuff into the cup, thus far.

Whereas Wayne seemed to managed snuffing his left cup thru some paper streamer or something..
Where is Wayne..he needs to present his thesis/ solution to us for scrutiny.

I m curious too, incase the next new can I opened up is unbalanced..:p

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,572 of 6,783
There was this instance, where I packed a wall of BlueTac of say about 2mm around the hole...
And on the other side of the cup base, I fixed the hard felt right opposite in the centre.

The double constriction sort of make the can sound small, tinny....
Same effect when I modded a Big Pad onto the driver externally..
The sound also went small n tinny.

Not sure if such info would spark a solution for u.

--------
Or do u have to resort to soldering or attaching resistors to the wires..
I am electrically clueless..untrained..uneducated.

-------

Or buy an amp with LEFT RIGHT volume balance control,,,lolz

:rolleyes:

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #3,573 of 6,783
The leather-ring mod being brighter...
Is allowing me to listen at a lower volume in a cafe...
Placido Domingo is sounding v clear with 3D depth details coming thru my iPad.
(normally I kinda max out, almost..my volume. )

-------------

Scheeets...just heard a Sony mdr1.... Almost unlistenable., totally destroyed.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #3,574 of 6,783
Quote hatefulsandwiches
Me, I'm leaving mine alone until I've made sure the sound is fully settled I might eventually try some modding since I still find them a bit congested and rather shouty-sounding in the upper mids, but I'm not massively bothered by it. I got these for a third of their retail price. They look good, they're portable and they're closed so I can use them when working. I'm not going to get caught up in little things.

I still prefer how the MS1s sound, but the MLs serve a different purpose for me and I'm happy with the purchase in the context of that purpose.[/quote]

--------------------------

I had a MsPro..one of the v few cans tat captivated, transfixed me when listening to classicals then.

Cant wait for u to start collecting cheetah skin, elephant hide, Bambi tail for modding...
Think u gonna like the sound u will hear.. If u find the sound is congested n shouty still.
Placido is serenading under a windy moonlight nite now...in some unknown language to some unknown ladies.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #3,575 of 6,783
Quote hatefulsandwiches
Me, I'm leaving mine alone until I've made sure the sound is fully settled I might eventually try some modding since I still find them a bit congested and rather shouty-sounding in the upper mids, but I'm not massively bothered by it. I got these for a third of their retail price. They look good, they're portable and they're closed so I can use them when working. I'm not going to get caught up in little things.

I still prefer how the MS1s sound, but the MLs serve a different purpose for me and I'm happy with the purchase in the context of that purpose.

I had a MsPro..one of the v few cans tat captivated, transfixed me when listening to classicals then.

Cant wait for u to start collecting cheetah skin, elephant hide, Bambi tail for modding...
Think u gonna like the sound u will hear.. If u find the sound is congested n shouty still.
Placido is serenading under a windy moonlight nite now...in some unknown language to some unknown ladies.[/quote]

MSPro was an amazing headphone, super underrated

Anyways, 
Thinking of selling my modded pair + just getting a new original stock headphone, bass had pretty decent quantity in stock iirc
Modding is too variable + difficult!
Meh

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #3,576 of 6,783
Try duplicating my mod exaactly..see how it sounds...since u wanna sell.:D

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #3,577 of 6,783
Ok..it's clearer now the issue..it's about how to control the VOLUME inside each cup..independently.

Nim said toying with the hole, the way he has done didn't help..it just colored the sound...
Ditto putting stuff into the cup, thus far.

Whereas Wayne seemed to managed snuffing his left cup thru some paper streamer or something..
Where is Wayne..he needs to present his thesis/ solution to us for scrutiny.

I m curious too, incase the next new can I opened up is unbalanced..
tongue.gif

Lors,
The chamber volumes are different between the L and R cups, due to the extra circuitry and angled "bump-out" in the left cup.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,578 of 6,783
U pointg out the physical vol ..wat about sound volume..
U hearing soundvol diff too?

If we can shape the cup physicalvolume with blue tac..would tat balance out the sonicvolumediff as such??

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #3,579 of 6,783
Try duplicating my mod exaactly..see how it sounds...since u wanna sell.
biggrin.gif

Lors,
Got back inside the BASS-modded pair and removed the Tacky that was covering/sealing the headband tube ports. Also Dynamatted the back of the (plastic) driver casing.   Mids are nicely opened up and BASS is not so thick.  BASS impact/concussion is still a little strong for my ears--BOY, do these things move air when the Hole is opened!

Instead of using an elongated piece of rectangular felt at the bottom of each cup, I used a 3/8" semi-circular piece with the straight edge aligned toward the center (rounded edge pointed outward).  Wanted to ask: what was the effect of elongating that felt piece?  Did it attenuate some of the BASS slam?  

I am thinking about putting some very porous acoustic material directly over the Hole to retard some of the airflow and attenuate the BASS just a tad.  That way I can move up to higher volumes without the BASS pressure being so domineering.

My foam/chamois/Dynamat mod sounds very open.  Bass slam is down/manageable w/bass pitch still excellent, soundstage is very relaxed, mids are more open and full, treble is very transparent.  This mod, with the Auvio cable and the KMF amp sounds just right to me.  

But when I want bona fide BASSHEAD slamm with R&R tracks, and really want to plumb the depths of the DEEP, I reach for the LorsMikros(BASS) on my home rig. 

smile_phones.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3,580 of 6,783
  Putting the open cell foam over both holes fixed the BASS imbalance almost perfectly but the vocals and only the vocals are much geared toward the left channel.

This mod is stupid... too many problems with it

What specific "mod" are you talking about?  The LorsMikros Mod, the Wayne-variation of the Lors, or the enhanced space/mids mod that I just posted?
Just putting foam over the Holes and doing nothing else falls into none of the categories listed above.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #3,583 of 6,783

UPDATE:
A word on the "LorsMikros"....it is an "improvement" over the MikrosHearThruBass :
via a circle of thin foam added under the driverhousing without covering the hole.
i hear a fuller/more forward Mids...less reverb/less ehnancement on the bass...
overall a more balanced kind of sound, more akin to a large can presentation...u get an overall BIGGER sound.
( so i took out the word BASS when naming it...lolz )

Lors,
So you did succumb to the foam!  It is essential to opening up those mids.  
happy_face1.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3,584 of 6,783
If anyone sends a mikros to Spain for 65$ I'll get them.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #3,585 of 6,783

They were already burned in for around 50hrs I'd say

More like 200+, as I have been reiterating ad nauseum.
My last stock pair are at about 50-60 hours and the midrange/lower treble is going through an awful "scratchy" mode.  The mids will open up and balance out after this phase.
This is through my fully broken in UPOCC silver cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back