Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,911 of 6,783
  Lors,
What is the difference if you center the felt versus placing it at the bottom?
I was going to try putting a circular piece of felt in the center of the leather immediately below the driver, but this post saves me the grief.
[This looks like the Gentleman-meets-Basshead hybrid Mod.]

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,912 of 6,783
  elvergun,
GO TO YOUR ROOM!
And leave your Mikros 90 DT1350 with sfwalcer at the door.

[But then again, he didn't do his BASSSSSSSMODSSSSSSS, either.  SIGH!]

Man does not live by bread alone....

If I have to go to my room...can I take my M90s with me?  Please?

Seriously though, have you guys heard the DT1350?   In the 1350 thread, many users keep asking if there is a full-sized version of the little Beyer.   I haven't found anything close to the Beyer yet...the closest to the DT1350 I've heard is the T5p.  

The problem with the DT1350 is that the soundstage is really narrow -- imagine listening to your favorite band in a long, constricted room.  

I favor the sound signature of the DT1350...but I also prefer to listen to the Mikros 90 (which is more comfortable).   This is why I use the M90 at work – for long listening sessions (a day in the office) the Mikros is the better headphone.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,913 of 6,783
T5p,..no bass.. ( heard balanced T5p for a few days.. lotsa bass.)
1350 has more bass than t5p.
sold every one of them. :p

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2,914 of 6,783
  T5p,..no bass.. ( heard balanced T5p for a few days.. lotsa bass.)
Wrong.  T5p has plenty of bass.  Perhaps the balanced T5p has more bass.
Your statement reminds me of the claims that the Mikros is bass light.

1350 has more bass than t5p.
Correct

sold every one of them. :p
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,915 of 6,783
Hey guys,

I am a Head-Fi reader for many years, but only now am "logging in" -- for the FIRST TIME. I love this thread and have been following it since early on. In addition, I have recently decided to add a pair of ML Mikros 90 to my headphone collection. Looking forward to give 'em a try, hopefully by the end of this coming week. 

I am looking for a reasonably priced after-market cable to replace the stock version. So far I have read that the Pipeline ET-4/ET-1 will not be able to fit in unless modded (or if you're lucky enough to get the 1/4 OD). I have also read about the Auvio cable which unfortunately is listed as "out of the stock" online at the moment (on Radio Shack). 

Would love to hear some other recommendations.

What do you say about the Media Bridge cable? http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/

I also have a Monster iCable 800 cable and a bunch of others, but not so sure they can be easily hooked inside the ML cans.  

Thanks 

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2,916 of 6,783

when u center the felt, the first order direct low freq waves are flatwalled
causing massive sonic impact to be felt directly by the ear.
The sense of space n depth is traded off..for weight n power.
( like a car slamming into a wall...:p )

when u lower the felt, below the direct listening line,
the low freq are focused by the felt,  after bouncing off tangent afew times
givng a natural sense of floor weight further away,
and spaciousness of the stockMikros is retained.
( like a car ricocheting in 3D crashing..)

The chiral-transmitancy-absorbency coefficent of the select choice of felt / leather / blue tac are plastic-synergistic,
so anyone can safely plaster away, and get reasonably congruent results.

That makes sense.
I foamed directly beneath the hole and may blue-tak the edges before I take out the foam altogether.  There is no sense of "brittleness", the bass sounds warm and full [but lacks thwack], and I am getting a nice enlarged sense of space, but there is a little too much bass "overhang"/boom on some tracks. 
What about arranging 4 smaller pieces of felt in a "cross" pattern: at the top/bottom & right/left near cup edges?  Might try that later.
Have to start slicing and dicing that deerskin jacket!

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #2,917 of 6,783
  Hey guys,

I am a Head-Fi reader for many years, but only now am "logging in" -- for the FIRST TIME. I love this thread and have been following it since early on. In addition, I have recently decided to add a pair of ML Mikros 90 to my headphone collection. Looking forward to give 'em a try, hopefully by the end of this coming week. 

I am looking for a reasonably priced after-market cable to replace the stock version. So far I have read that the Pipeline ET-4/ET-1 will not be able to fit in unless modded (or if you're lucky enough to get the 1/4 OD). I have also read about the Auvio cable which unfortunately is listed as "out of the stock" online at the moment (on Radio Shack). 

What do you say about the Media Bridge cable? http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/

I also have a Monster iCable 800 cable and a bunch of others, but not so sure they can be easily hooked inside the ML cans.  

Thanks 

Welcome to the Mikros 90 Madhouse/Social HYPE Experiment!

These are the ones I recall:
Mikros 90 Stock--respectable sound.  might be a little edgy in the HF and not the most coherent in the LF
Beats knock-off (4ft/$0.99)--smallish soundstage, some midbass boost, a little thin and/or lacking detail in the MR and HF
FiiO RC MH1 (4ft/$30.99)--soft and slow, nice sense of space w/some midbass boost
VModa(xft/$xx.xx)--can't comment, but heard less-than-stellar reviews for this cable
Auvio (3ft/$14.99 or 6ft/$2.97/clearance)--fast, fun, snappy
ET-4 (4ft/$19.99-$24.99 Radio Shack or 10ft/$8.97 Amazon)--detailed, balanced and clear

Readers/Users:
(1)  If you know of any other cables, please supplement the above list.  [We need to catalogue/update results on a single linked page.] Supplement this post: Post #2926  for all further cable inquiries.
(2)   If you know of an adapter  (1/8" male to 1/8" female) that will engage the M90 and allow for a fatter input barrel, please post that here, as well.

At this point, probably the best after-market cable to try--unless you are willing to spend appreciably more money on a custom cable--would be the ET-4.  You may have to file/dremel the input plug barrel to get it to fit [or PM PredatorZ for assistance].

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,918 of 6,783
I am seriously considering the Pipeline ET-4. It's fairly cheap for what it does.

Thanks so much! 

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,919 of 6,783

What do you think about the possibility of using the Vmoda cable that has a mic built in? The one that MLE reviewed and said good things about--is that the one listed above?

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,920 of 6,783
  Hey guys,

Thanks 

pataburd has already responded to you, but here is my $0.02.  The stock cable is the baseline for me.  I looked for an alternative because it seemed like a pretty simple, inexpensive way to teak the sound and have some fun with the 90's.  It is always good to have a spare cable on hand.  Also, I do not need the 3 button controller as I use this with iPod/Amp.

I tried the Auvio (purchased in store at Radio Shack for $14.99).  The plug body is <0.250" and fits the ML's nicely.  It is only 3 ft length, and for me it is not too practical for portable use.  I take my portable rig (incl. ML 90's) on twice daily dog walks.  I also note a lot of cable noise from the Auvio...microphoincs?   The sound is a very good with this cable, though...maybe a little better than the stock as it seems to reduce some harshness that occur in the HF on some tracks.

I have a DIY cable made from a 3.5 to 3.5 mm extension cable with an ideally sized male (Mikros) end...I cut it to 4 ft and replaced the female end with a RS gold plated male plug.  This cable is definitely a step down from the stock cable.  I am pretty sure that this cable was of dubious quality to begin with.

I have a Pipeline ET-4 and ET-1 also from RS but have not modded the ends of either yet to fit the ML's.

I have a Media Bridge (excellent quality) and Monster 800...neither will fit without mod.  The Media bridge may be tough to mod since the plug bodies are metal.  The Monster is a candidate for grinding / filing / sanding mod.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,922 of 6,783
  If the call is that close between the dt1350 and the Mikros, IMHO the $100 more in cost for the 1350 says what a bargain the Mikros is.........

IKR... especially when the dt1350 is supposed to be such a bargain at its own price.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2,923 of 6,783
(2)   If you know of an adapter  (1/8" male to 1/8" female) that will engage the M90 and allow for a fatter input barrel, please post that here, as well.

I though about this yesterday when I was modding an old cable and butchering a perfectly good Neutrik plug.  I have several male to femal adapters on order from Amazon...will update after I have them in hand.  I gotta say though, that based on the price I am not sure they are of sufficient quality to avoid being the weak link in the chain.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,924 of 6,783
  If the call is that close between the dt1350 and the Mikros, IMHO the $100 more in cost for the 1350 says what a bargain the Mikros is.........

If I could buy both, I would buy both...duh.

If I could buy only one (lets say some weird law was passed mandating that  people could only own one headphone), I would get the Mikros 90. 

I would chose the M90 not because of the price but for its comfort and the wide soundstage --  I can only use the DT1350 for an hour or so before my ears start to complain.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #2,925 of 6,783
  Welcome to the Mikros 90 Madhouse/Social HYPE Experiment!

These are the ones I recall:
Mikros 90 Stock--respectable sound.  might be a little edgy in the HF and not the most coherent in the LF
Beats knock-off (4ft/$0.99)--smallish soundstage, some midbass boost, a little thin and/or lacking detail in the MR and HF
FiiO RC MH1 (4ft/$30.99)--soft and slow, nice sense of space w/some midbass boost
VModa(xft/$xx.xx)--can't comment, but heard less-than-stellar reviews for this cable
Auvio (3ft/$14.99 or 6ft/$2.97/clearance)--fast, fun, snappy
ET-4 (4ft/$19.99-$24.99 Radio Shack or 10ft/$8.97 Amazon)--detailed, balanced and clear

Readers/Users:
(1)  If you know of any other cables, please supplement the above list.  [We need to catalogue/update results on a single linked page.] Supplement this post: Post #2926  for all further cable inquiries.

At this point, probably the best after-market cable to try--unless you are willing to spend appreciably more money on a custom cable--would be the ET-4.  You may have to file/dremel the input plug barrel to get it to fit [or PM PredatorZ for assistance].

I recently picked up one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-AUDIOQUEST-MINI-3-MINI-TO-MINI-5M/dp/B002YIJRNW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=150MQGV3HFP3FRY5FJ1T
 Its nice. I can plug my Micros into my Magni in my Big Rig and can sit across the room in my chair or sofa and relax. It sounds really nice, although I have not compared it anything else except the stock. So far (still breaking in) it has a nice detailed sound and very strong bass. I had to whittle down the barrel so it would fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back