Markl Lettter in the May 2003 Sterophile
Apr 17, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #61 of 85
Sent in my letter...:

Hello, out there in Stereophile Land...

About two or three years ago, I discovered hi-fi. I was perhaps fourteen or fifteen at the time, so I could hardly afford the incredible, and extremely expensive, gear that is so prevalent in your pages. (case in point- the dCS equipment of the April issue) Yet in searching the web for information on an obscure pair of headphones left by my lade grandfather, I came across a forum called Head-Fi.

HEAD-fi? But all Hi-Fi had to do with speakers! Headphones were cheap, flimsy little things that came with Walkmans and portable CD players, fit only for crushing under ones' feet on the way to the local audio dealer. Or so I thought...

A few months later, a package arrived in the mail, containing a pair of Etymotic ER-4S headphones, highly recommended by my newfound friends on Head-Fi. I'd built an amp for them, a simple one from cheap parts I got at Radioshack and a tutorial on Head-Fi's sister site, HeadWize. Like the average fourteen-year old, of course, I was far too impatient to set up the amp - I just plugged the headphones into my father's McIntosh integrated amplifier.

And sat down. Hard.

I'd heard good sound before; a pair of Martin Logans and a Krell amp in a local shop. But I never thought - I never believed - I never DREAMED it was possible to even come close to that on the savings (augmented by a little prodding of the parental units) of one my age. These Etymotics, while lacking the soundstage of the Martin Logans, had everything else in spades; they even edged out the Logans in the bass department. The sheer intimacy, the detail! Needless to say, I still have them, in addition to a slowly growing collection of decidely hi-fi pieces - and I'm looking forward to the day I can start thinking of Stereophile in the terms of a buying guide, as opposed to a glossy piece of desire.

My name is Eric S, and I'm a headphone geek.

(yeah, the forum I found was HeadWize, not Head-Fi, but hey.)

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #63 of 85
Nice! I think I will write one tomorrow as well. They can really broaden their readership if they focus more on headphones, as a lot more people can afford headphones than can afford true Hi-Fi gear.

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #64 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
This is true and in addition the product has to be available at a certain number of dealerships in the US. I think this has been bypassed on occasion though, like in the case of Musical Fidelity which was only available through, I believe it was, Audio Advisor.

IIRC, it has to be available from at least 5 US dealerships in order to meet one of the review criteria.

I, too, enjoyed the letter--thanks, mark. Silly me--I've had this issue sitting beside the bed still unopened for several days. Add me to the list of folks who is also disappointed that there was no reply on behalf of the folks at Stereophile.

Apr 20, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #65 of 85
Congratulations, markl. Finally!

That said, I would like to update my guess as to a new record of views to ...uh... next weekend. Say, Friday. Somewhere around 5pm EST.

Apr 20, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #66 of 85
Late mail this month, mine just arrived. I think JA was a wuss not to publish a short response under the letter.
mad.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #67 of 85
Just got back from Florida this morning and I found my stereophile. I'll be sure to write a letter to them as well as soon as I finish writing this engrish paper.

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #68 of 85
Finally saw this month's issue at Barnes & Nobles. Letter seemed to come across very well, good job.

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #69 of 85
I'm looking foward to seeing it in print.

Unfortunatley the May 2003 Stereophile doesn't hit these shores for a few weeks yet. We only just got the edition with the new Jaguar in it.

Ah well.....

May 2, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #70 of 85
I just want to say thank you Markl for great and long letter about our community here at Head-fi.

I do hope they see us as in right light and start writting about headphone "toys" more and more.

Im proud that i can be a part of this community.

yours

Miziq

May 3, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #74 of 85
markl- I've been meaning to pass along my thanks and congratulations ever since I read the letter in the issue of Stereophile that I got a couple weeks ago. It's exceptionally well written! Good job, and thanks for doing that, you are a valuable asset to this community here at HeadFi and the headphone community as a whole. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back