Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #887 of 970
I fixed the issue with a Laptop, but I am still figuring out how to connect directly to an iPhone, is it possible via Lightning to USB-C cable or do I need a DAC? Technically the 5909 has an integrated dac, shouldn't that work?

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #888 of 970
I fixed the issue with a Laptop, but I am still figuring out how to connect directly to an iPhone, is it possible via Lightning to USB-C cable or do I need a DAC? Technically the 5909 has an integrated dac, shouldn't that work?
It could work, but you’re probably going to experience the “this accessory requires too much power” popup—that’s what I get on my iPhone + ddHifi TC28i adapter….

I wish ML would update their app to allow either turning the charging off temporarily, or only enable charging when it reaches a set level (20% for example). Oh, and also being able to limit the charge to, say 80%, would be a great battery health feature!

A scenario that does work for me: I connect my ML5909 USB-C to an Hiby R2-II DAP, using it as digital transport—so the 5909 internal DAC & Amp are used. I either play the R2 local files (from a 512Gb sd) using my iPhone as “remote” (HibyLink), or I cast my iPhone audio to the R2 through AirPlay (losseless!). The latter requires having the R2 and iPhone on the same WiFi or to tether the R2 to my iPhone hotspot. I can also use the R2 DLNA renderer to cast from my laptop, but it’s easier to just plug the USB cable. All of this works great! …except for one detail: as soon as I plug the 5909 onto the USB-C port of the R2, the 5909 is charging itself from the R2. The R2-II DAP can provide enough juice for the ML5909, but after a few hours, it eventually dies… and my ML5909 proudly claims it is still at 100% charge !!! What a stupid power management scenario…

I understand the ML5909 was designed for BT or wired connection, but I don’t get why ML missed what is for me a very obvious use case: connect the 5909 to a low-power digital transport, whether it’s a phone, a DAP, or whatever. All what is needed is an option in the app to manage/disable the automatic charging. My cheap Qudelix 5K has this….
Come on Mark Levinson!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #889 of 970
I recently ordered a 5909 used on Ebay. From the photos, the headband looks to be in good shape. Just in case, how prevalent is the separating issue, and how do you use adhesive to resolve it? No transfer of warranty with a used 5909. Thanks

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #890 of 970
I recently ordered a 5909 used on Ebay. From the photos, the headband looks to be in good shape. Just in case, how prevalent is the separating issue, and how do you use adhesive to resolve it? No transfer of warranty with a used 5909. Thanks
I bought mine in Jul 2022 (also on eBay) and it is fine… I wonder if these issues were related to a specific batch of HP ???

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #891 of 970
I've had mine since September 2022 and use them daily with no issue. They still look new. And there is no leather fade or even a single scratch or mark anywhere.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #892 of 970
My "leather" headband separated along the seam, so the red stitching clearly is decorative. I used Scotch branded no-run super glue to hold the two sides of the headband in place and haven't had any issues since.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #893 of 970
i had a very early run 5909 (as an employee purchase) that had the headband problem. they replaced it no questions asked immediately and i have not had any problems since.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #894 of 970
I'm a new owner of the ML 5909s. Bought them last Friday after an audition, on a 30 day money back trial period (great dealer) and on a good deal. I'm still burning them in, but I'm impressed so far.

I'm coming from B&W PX8s, which have been my commuter headphones for over 11 months and the Bathys. So far, I think the MLs are a step up in sound quality via BT over both these headphones and seem to combine this with the comfort and ANC performance of the PX8s.

Most of my music listening is now done during my commute (which is now almost daily), so sound quality is of even greater importance than in the past. I considered the T&A Solitaire, but a quick on head experience suggested that the earcup size would be a problem for me (alongside, being honest, the asking price). I also looked at the Dali IO-12s, but felt they looked too big for a commuter headphone, and, from the threads here, it seems that the ANC is pretty poor.

I'm also delighted that the MLs support LDAC. This opens up a bigger choice of source DAPs and phones.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #895 of 970
Two questions:

(I) Are the left and right indicators coloured like the 5909 logo on the headband (grey) or not? On my pair the latter - they are engraved but not coloured.

(II) I notice a low, but audible clicking/cracking sound when inserting the supplied USB-C cables into the headphone. It's no big issue, but slightly disconcerting on such an expensive pair of headphones. Anyone else have this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #896 of 970
(I) Are the left and right indicators coloured like the 5909 logo on the headband (grey) or not? On my pair the latter - they are engraved but not coloured.
Same here. Perhaps that thin contour cannot be treated as "coloured" :)
20240112_094028.jpg

(II) I notice a low, but audible clicking/cracking sound when inserting the supplied USB-C cables into the headphone. It's no big issue, but slightly disconcerting on such an expensive pair of headphones. Anyone else have this?
Sorry, do you mean sound of insertion alone or from headphone dynamics? If the latter, then please clarify whether they are powered on or off prior to insertion.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #900 of 970
By USB-C cable, you mean the USB-C to USB-C cable, not the audio USB-C to 3.5mm cable? I have not noticed any clicking sound, but I realize that whenever I mess with the cables, 5909 is off my head. Will do some tests...
That there are some clicking/cracking sounds is understandable: the 5909 switches input / internal DAC-Amp depending on what you connect, but I agree it should stay at the barely noticeable level. The only exception would be if the clicking/cracking sound is actually coming from the source: for example, there is nothing 5909 can do about an external DAC-Amp generating clicks/cracks when you connect the 3.5mm cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back