Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #856 of 970
It seems to me you may have a defective unit. The 5909 I've tried (two pairs) had little clamping force, were comfortable, and made a good seal. There isn't too much leakage. As to the sound, I think you will like them better if you use the bass boost in the Mark Levinson app, and if you also turn on ANC you have yet more bass.

To me, these don't sound anemic at all. They are a bit on the bright side for some, but the clarity and detail are amazing. Did you try them wired?
Thanks for your feedback!

I came across a strange version of a product from another country, but the packaging was completely sealed (polyethylene with a barcode label).
I forgot to mention that the sound leaked out when I connected it to a PC via a USB cable (at a fairly high volume). When listening via Bluetooth, the maximum possible volume was lower, which may be the reason why it was not audible from outside, idk...

By the way, when connected via USB, the sound quality became noticeably better, many times over. But shouldn’t I listen like that all the time? I expected to use the headphones mainly for walking outside. I did 2 tests from two different phones, incl. Sony, which had good sound earlier.

But the connection via the audio jack was not at all pleasing; the sound sounded generally dull, much worse than even initially via Bluetooth. Perhaps I need a good source for that, but I haven’t figured it out yet because I didn’t intend to listen through an audio cable.

I'll try to do more tests this weekend. Thank you again for your feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #857 of 970
I came across a strange version of a product from another country, but the packaging was completely sealed (polyethylene with a barcode label).
What is strange about it? Does it connect to the Mark Levinson app etc?

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #858 of 970
What is strange about it? Does it connect to the Mark Levinson app etc?
It seems as if there is no official dealer in our country and therefore there are issues with the warranty. Not too much of a question, but this means that the local supplies may not be entirely legal.. I don’t know, I’m not sure.

As for connections, on my new phone the application connects to the headset, but on my old Sony phone it does not (even when there is no active bluetooth connection from the first phone). However, the sound from Sony phone is louder and better. The headset firmware was updated immediately when turned on for the first time.

I don’t understand, am I really so capricious that even this headset can sound boring? If we look at a lower class level, Sennheiser Momentum 4 seemed to me a complete failure in their series, but older versions like PXC 550 (I and II) had ideal characteristics in terms of volume and expressiveness of the scene (albeit narrow at the same time) just for my opinion... even having the old 4.0 Bluetooth type and microUSB :sweat_smile:, while the 5909 sounds like layers of pancakes, even when connected to PC via USB cable. Do I still need to burn it? I've been listening for about 6 hours now.

This is just my only opinion, please don't scold me.
Either I'm crazy and perceive music inadequately, or this copy is a defect, or... it's just not the sound "delivery" that I actually need.

Perhaps you can advise what is the best thing for me to test on? Some test collections.. Or online tracks with good quality.

Thank you.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #859 of 970
Hi folks! When fully charged, my pair quickly drops to 87% (something like 100..99..98....87 in just a minute of playing) and goes as normal afterwards. I was worried about sudden battery degradation, but total playing time was close to expected at around 30-31 hrs (or ~26hrs at 10% left) using LDAC. Initially it worked as normal. Anyone experience similar battery reporting issue?

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #860 of 970
Hi folks! When fully charged, my pair quickly drops to 87% (something like 100..99..98....87 in just a minute of playing) and goes as normal afterwards. I was worried about sudden battery degradation, but total playing time was close to expected at around 30-31 hrs (or ~26hrs at 10% left) using LDAC. Initially it worked as normal. Anyone experience similar battery reporting issue?
Mine does something like this too. When charged to 100%, as soon as I turn them on I can literally watch it drop down to (in my case) 88 or 89% in maybe 30 seconds or a minute. Like you, I noted that battery life is still as advertised. I figured this was just weird reporting behavior in the software.

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #861 of 970
Just got mine today. I am pretty happy with these so far after eq them a bit

Attachments

• P_20231204_205246.jpg
    P_20231204_205246.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #864 of 970
Do you experience some crackling sounds when wearing the 5909 ANC or Ambient Aware mode on when you move you jaw or turn your head?
There should definitely be no crackling sound.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #869 of 970
Also, I wonder when they gonna fix the battery drain problem 100 to 89 in like few seconds or it just a bug that need to be fix as well
It doesn't look like an actual battery drain because there's no noticeable degradation in total playtime. Likely the real issue is battery controller not well configured to treat natural over-time change of accu voltage properly. Would be great to have it fixed with firmware update. But it's about a year already when last firmware version was released...

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #870 of 970
Sorry to say, but I had to return mine.
The volume level was an insufficient for me. And too many high frequencies (“sibilants”) hurt the brain. In addition I didn’t get any wow effect (although I expected it), although I tested it on different sources and different recordings, which I definitely liked before.
Perhaps I will return to them again, but first I want to listen to Focals Bathys, and also perhaps wait for Dali IO-12.

Guys, thanks to everyone who helped me figure out my questions. After listening to many new models, I still haven’t found anything for myself. Perhaps I have a “special” preference for some "tuned" sound.. but I just can’t formulate in words what actually I want, hehe..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back