Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #843 of 970
Another question (now that I have finally been able to pair the 5909 to my two phones after finally being able to install the updated App, without going the APK route):

There is a just an ever so slight lag / perceived lip sync difference with videos on YouTube. It's something I can accept, but would love solutions and suggestions to address / fix this? I have a Premium YT account and I can adjust the video speed (though its coarse). Thank you!

The lip sync / lag isn't a 'perceived' issue with my Sony WHXM4s or the B&W PX8s.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #844 of 970
Well, the No.5909 took the crown of being the worst built headset I've ever head, with the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless being close second.

I don't know what ML has used for that piece of pleather in the headband but mine came completely loose after about a year, tried to reglue it yesterday and to my shock, every time I put my finger on the material, it got completly oily, the whole piece was leaking oil quite severely and it's something like sillicone oil.
Washed it in IPA - zero difference, the moment you squeezed the material, your hands would get oily. This is also the reason why the original glue let go, there were no marks of torn glue, it just came clean off of the material. The glue in the earpads is also starting to let go all around.
No warranty as they see the headband / earpads as things that simply get 'used'.
Never dropped, never kept them in the sun.

Found the replacement parts in China, almost €70 for all the 3 parts, hope everything will fit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #846 of 970
Well, the No.5909 took the crown of being the worst built headset I've ever head, with the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless being close second.

I don't know what ML has used for that piece of pleather in the headband but mine came completely loose after about a year, tried to reglue it yesterday and to my shock, every time I put my finger on the material, it got completly oily, the whole piece was leaking oil quite severely and it's something like sillicone oil.
Washed it in IPA - zero difference, the moment you squeezed the material, your hands would get oily. This is also the reason why the original glue let go, there were no marks of torn glue, it just came clean off of the material. The glue in the earpads is also starting to let go all around.
No warranty as they see the headband / earpads as things that simply get 'used'.
Never dropped, never kept them in the sun.

Found the replacement parts in China, almost €70 for all the 3 parts, hope everything will fit.

Post the links to these spare parts.

A few people here saying the headband comes unglued. Mine seems tight and firmly attached.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #851 of 970
So I got the parts from China, haven't installed them yet but they look decent enough, will try to make some photos with the old parts next to it.
The headband has a few minor dents though.

One difference - the decorative stiching on the headband cushion is black, not red.

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #852 of 970
Disregard my previous post, the parts from china are garbage, headband foam had 2 snapped off screw holes in the frame.
Earpads are like completely wrong, too small and lack any clips to attach them.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #854 of 970
Guys,
I don’t know, or maybe I have hearing problems, or I’m just used to listening low-level product that I’ve been used to for many years (and it was a Sennheiser PXC 550 I, there were almost tops for its time, following Momentum 3, no many bluetooth models were available at that time).

I listened to streams like YouTube Music mostly using PXC 550 with my old Sony smartphone. I understand that the quality of tracks on streaming services is a very questionable issue, but sometimes I caught the wow effect and danced on the go from how spacious and clear the sound seemed! Sony provided better sound at that moment, I tested Xiaomi and other phones with AptX, difference with Sony was very noticeable)

The old headset broke, so I spent a long time choosing and recently received my new 5909. Expecting something better or just special, I was disappointed; the sound playing via LDAC looks flat and boring, although bright (there are a lot of highs, perhaps some forum members wrote about this here earlier). There is no actual volume in the vocalist's voices; it is flat, like a pancake layer somewhere in the middle between the instruments.

The headset itself was not so light and put pressure on my ears. In addition, it turned out that the sound sometimes comes outside, perhaps due to a loose seal to the ear; my co-workers heard my music loudly (whatt?). After trying to press it tightly to my ears, it seemed to correct the situation with outward permeability, but I began to feel a pulsation in my temples due to the strong pressure. Aww..

I'm upset and don't know what to do. Should I give them more chances, maybe to get it "warming up" using white noise for hours? Initially, I looked towards Focal Bathys, but they were not available in our country at that moment, now they are. Focal's owners say that the Focal headband is even more tight and puts pressure on the crown of the head.. hm..

Having tested 5909 on separate lossless tracks, I noticed it played more pleasantly, but without the wow effect. I tried to make tricks using the Poweramp equalizer.. But the result was without any particular advantages. No volume and flat sound, although bright and playful a bit.

If I understand correctly, the ML 5909 plays unadorned and it is important to use the correct sound source, right? Therefore, it is probably unsuitable for services like YouTube Music or Spotify. Right? Some say that there are three main types of "music scene" what is shown in the 3 models like Bathys, 5909 and perhaps B&W PX 8. The problem is that I couldn't listen to any of the other two, so I bought 5909 at random..

What do you think? Any opinion would be helpful. Thank you.

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #855 of 970
It seems to me you may have a defective unit. The 5909 I've tried (two pairs) had little clamping force, were comfortable, and made a good seal. There isn't too much leakage. As to the sound, I think you will like them better if you use the bass boost in the Mark Levinson app, and if you also turn on ANC you have yet more bass.

To me, these don't sound anemic at all. They are a bit on the bright side for some, but the clarity and detail are amazing. Did you try them wired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back