Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #646 of 970
This is the Mark Levinson's response measured at the blocked ear canal entrance for more than a dozen actual humans (not directly comparable to measurements made at the eardrum on ear simulators past a few hundred Hz !), in a mode where the ANC feedback system is turned off (presumably wired, but the same will happen with any mode where the ANC system isn't in operation) :

Source : https://danishsoundcluster.dk/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Olive_DSD_2022.pdf

Below 200Hz very few if not none of the individuals experienced a bass response similar to what the ML5909 produces on a hammerhead style ear simulator in such modes :

And there's going to be a lot of variation across individuals.

The ML5909 was designed to provide a constant response across modes and between BT and wired, but that isn't really possible with such an approach.

When ANC is turned on the feedback mechanism is turned on as well, this should help in reducing variations across individuals and in providing a response on real humans that is closer to what the response looks like on ear simulators : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1087051
Yes, the sound is not the same comparing ANC, transparency, and passive modes when the 5909 is powered on. They do have significant bass reduction when powered off and passive. The fact that they are so good in non powered passive mode means they could be a contender for someone who wanted an ANC/BT headphone in addition to a really good wired headphone.

Unlike every other ANC headphone I’ve tried, they sound very good to excellent powered off passive. The Sony WH-1000XM series is unlistenable without the active DSP. Same with Bose. Focal Bathys won’t work without battery power. Same with the AirPod Max.

I’m not saying they sound better than the Focal Stellia. I’m saying that for my usage with the Mojo 2, I can’t find them to be inferior to the Stellia. The fact I can switch on the ANC when needed is a huge bonus.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #647 of 970
There are two passive modes, one with headphones powered on, where ANC and transparency are available, but DAC is off. The other fully powered off, no ANC/Transparency options. The former does consume battery, while the latter does not.
I've just noticed what you're talking about, and there's some un-intuitive behavior going on here. The manual says that the 5909 powers off when plugged into an analog source... they definitely don't. They disconnect from BT, but there's still a low hiss of powered static and you can change the ANC mode.

You have to actually power them fully OFF and then plug them in analog for proper passive, no power use.

If you do plug them in while BT is on, or if you power them ON while connected analog, they stay/turn on. The power light goes out, but you can still change ANC modes.

The annoying part if that to actually fully power them OFF, you have disconnect them, power ON for BT, and then power OFF again. Otherwise, they sit there, active, without any indicator lights, unresponsive to button presses, waiting for you to plug them in again. If you don't disconnect/ON/OFF, and just reconnect the analog cable, the ANC mode button becomes responsive again.

I could see any of this causing perceived battery issues.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #648 of 970
Yes, the sound is not the same comparing ANC, transparency, and passive modes when the 5909 is powered on. They do have significant bass reduction when powered off and passive. The fact that they are so good in non powered passive mode means they could be a contender for someone who wanted an ANC/BT headphone in addition to a really good wired headphone.

Unlike every other ANC headphone I’ve tried, they sound very good to excellent powered off passive. The Sony WH-1000XM series is unlistenable without the active DSP. Same with Bose. Focal Bathys won’t work without battery power. Same with the AirPod Max.

I’m not saying they sound better than the Focal Stellia. I’m saying that for my usage with the Mojo 2, I can’t find them to be inferior to the Stellia. The fact I can switch on the ANC when needed is a huge bonus.
That has been my experience as well. To remedy the bass drop in fully passive mode, the iFi Gold Bar analog bass boost is very nice and subtle. (On Android, there are many EQ options, but on an iPhone the easiest approach that works across sources is a dongle that gives you a bass boost option.)

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #649 of 970
That has been my experience as well. To remedy the bass drop in fully passive mode, the iFi Gold Bar analog bass boost is very nice and subtle. (On Android, there are many EQ options, but on an iPhone the easiest approach that works across sources is a dongle that gives you a bass boost option.)
The Mojo2, with its lossless EQ, is also a great match for the 5909.

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #651 of 970
I’m having difficulty connecting my 5909 with Mark Levinson app. It won’t connect to my iPhone 13. I have been able to connect once awhile but it’s not easy. App shows headphones and then spinning wheel that says connecting but times out. Any tips how to connect to app.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #652 of 970
I’m having difficulty connecting my 5909 with Mark Levinson app. It won’t connect to my iPhone 13. I have been able to connect once awhile but it’s not easy. App shows headphones and then spinning wheel that says connecting but times out. Any tips how to connect to app.
App connection is finicky. I usually have to disconnect the headphones , reconnect, then open the app again.

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #653 of 970
On my iPhone 13 Pro, there is no issue. On my Pixel 6a, that happens, and I force quite the and try again, which usually solves the issue.

Once, I had the issue on the iPhone, and I reset them and redid the proper pairing, involving the app, not just BT in settings.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #654 of 970
I just figured out something about the ML 5909 and the glitchy app connection. The app connection seems to use another form of BT connection (BLE?), not the same as for audio. Today, I had multi-point going between an iMac in AAC and Pixel 6a in LDAC 990bps. I went into the app on the Pixel to change settings, and it would not connect. Out of curiosity, I launched the app on my iPhone 13 Pro, and it worked perfectly and could make changes from the iPhone while connected and playing music on the Pixel, and the iMac. So that was three BT simultaneous connections, in LDAC, AAC, and BLE. I turned BT off on my iPhone, and immediately after that the app worked on the Pixel.

The upshot is that the app can only be used on one device at a time. Once a device captures the BLE (or whatever it is) to connect to the app on first use, it will not work with another device until you turn off BT on the previous device.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #655 of 970
I just figured out something about the ML 5909 and the glitchy app connection. The app connection seems to use another form of BT connection (BLE?), not the same as for audio. Today, I had multi-point going between an iMac in AAC and Pixel 6a in LDAC 990bps. I went into the app on the Pixel to change settings, and it would not connect. Out of curiosity, I launched the app on my iPhone 13 Pro, and it worked perfectly and could make changes from the iPhone while connected and playing music on the Pixel, and the iMac. So that was three BT simultaneous connections, in LDAC, AAC, and BLE. I turned BT off on my iPhone, and immediately after that the app worked on the Pixel.

The upshot is that the app can only be used on one device at a time. Once a device captures the BLE (or whatever it is) to connect to the app on first use, it will not work with another device until you turn off BT on the previous device.
This is interesting because I have No problem connecting the Mark Levinson to my hibby which runs Android 9 on the Mark Levinson app, but I do with my more modern phones that run current Android

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #656 of 970
I'm thinking of getting one of these as it covers many use cases for me. Do you know if Mark Levinson will offer battery changes and stuff in the future? I'm also wondering how it will sound when I'm at my desk with an ifi diablo for example?

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #657 of 970
I'm thinking of getting one of these as it covers many use cases for me. Do you know if Mark Levinson will offer battery changes and stuff in the future? I'm also wondering how it will sound when I'm at my desk with an ifi diablo for example?

No battery change. But realistically it'll be a decade before this is a real issue given Li battery capacity attrition rates

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #658 of 970
I would think the if Diablo would rock them. The Mojo 2 is more than good enough for me.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #659 of 970
This is interesting because I have No problem connecting the Mark Levinson to my hibby which runs Android 9 on the Mark Levinson app, but I do with my more modern phones that run current Android
Thank You for your responses. The Mark Levinson app is glitchy. I'm thoroughly enjoying My 5909. The app not so much. I removed app from my iPhone 13 and then reloaded it and it finally connected. I think the comment about multipoint connections is right on. When i paired 5909 there is simultaneous BLE connection along with 5909 connection showing in my phone's bluetooth settings. It confused me initially but now I understand it.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #660 of 970
Looks like a new firmware update came out: 1.5.08 Anyone noticed any changes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back