Mark Knopfler
Apr 8, 2016 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
if anything i discovered thru head-fi journey besides some amazing gears, is mark knopfler, i dont know how come i did not like his music before and all of a sudden I can not stop listening to his music

i think he will be replace my all time fav band depeche mode so i might change my avatar pic

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 8
  if anything i discovered thru head-fi journey besides some amazing gears, is mark knopfler, i dont know how come i did not like his music before and all of a sudden I can not stop listening to his music

i think he will be replace my all time fav band depeche mode so i might change my avatar pic

He is great, and his mixes always bring his vocals nicely front and center.  Great lyrics and guitar.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 8
  He is great, and his mixes always bring his vocals nicely front and center.  Great lyrics and guitar.

please do not laugh at me are there any irish or galeic inflences in his music, as i am trying know what genre it is, as its not only guitar, there is a signature to his music, and if yes are there other bands like his music style with male vocals

i love the feeling it gives so dreamy

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 8
  please do not laugh at me are there any irish or galeic inflences in his music, as i am trying know what genre it is, as its not only guitar, there is a signature to his music, and if yes are there other bands like his music style with male vocals

I believe he was born in Scotland and grew up in England, so the Irish might contest that he carries their influence!   To me it's kind of difficult to put his solo albums into a specific genre, though his work with Dire Straits would probably be considered pop/rock.  His style of guitar play is very unique, particularly in his more rock songs.  I'm kind of at a loss to come up with other band/singers with his style of music.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 8
@hykhleif and @fiascogarcia I've split your discussion from the AK380 thread to its own thread. 
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I've been a fan for years.  After picking up an acoustic guitar and finding my style, I find it really pleasing that he picks with his fingers--sounds different and IMO a lot more versatile in the tone and delivery than someone who relies solely on a guitar pick--from subtle to bold.

He seems pretty picky about production as well.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brothers in Arms was the first album produced in DDD?

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 8
  I've been a fan for years.  After picking up an acoustic guitar and finding my style, I find it really pleasing that he picks with his fingers--sounds different and IMO a lot more versatile in the tone and delivery than someone who relies solely on a guitar pick--from subtle to bold.

He seems pretty picky about production as well.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brothers in Arms was the first album produced in DDD?

From wiki: "Brothers in Arms was one of the first albums to be recorded on a Sony 24-track digital tape machine."

With concurrent recording sessions all over the world, it would probably be hard to pin down the actual first album. Some sites listed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Visitors_(ABBA_album) as the first DDD album to release on CD. There had probably been some earlier in the 70s recorded digitally but CDs weren't out yet.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 8

You MUST listen to two film soundtrack recordings he made back in the 1980's - Local Hero and Cal; definitely Irish/Galeic vibe there! Indeed, Cal is about a guy gotten caught up in the whole IRA thing; I believe Helen Mirren's in the film. Local Hero is a quirky comedy by Bill Forsyth, and Mark Knopfler's music captures the spirit -it's a must listen! The digital copies I have, Vertigo 811 038-2 and 822 769-2, are 'true' HDCD discs and sounds terrific, especially when played with proper decoding.  

FYI the Going Home theme from Local Hero was used to close out Dire Straits concerts not long after the soundtrack came out (it's true - I went to one back in the day!), and I think a prominent UK soccer/football team uses the Local Hero theme to bring the players out to the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back