Mark Knopfler - kill to get crimson
Sep 26, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NiceCans,
Nicely put, and very true!

x2 or x3 or whatever the count is. I feel this sort of thing myself and suspect that wealth and fame would make it even more difficult for someone to retain that youthful energy and focus that drove their earlier work. It's not necessarily a loss of creativity, but perhaps that sense of hunger is replaced by a more thoughtful, reflective presence which can also be a good thing.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #18 of 31
Shangri-la is getting close to masterpiece territory for me. I can't say enough about that one. I think if someone is an artist in the true sense of the word they stay valid and hungry. Paul Simon fits in this category as well.

The typical pop band gets so much of its musical drive from some kind of sexual energy and an audience's response to it --- it's difficult for that not to dim fairly quickly.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilogy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's getting older and it can be heard from this album. More ballads and waltzes. There's not that much guitar work in this one. I feel being middle aged while listening to this. Still it's not bad one from Mark. Just needs more time...

I wouldn't attribute that to age. MK has never liked being pigeon holed. His Dire Straits music stayed true to the bands flavor, but his solo work was always a place for him to play with other genres. I personally love everything he's done, and his "Neck And Neck" album with Chet Atkins remains one of my favorites.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #22 of 31
I have to say after many more listens I do indeed like this album, and it is better then my previous opinion of OK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 31
It's a fine album, excellent sound quality (this after listening to Springsteens latest...)and a great performance. I'd recommend it as long as the listener doesn't expect Dire Straits.

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 31
I have listened to the album a couple of times and I like it more and more. The sound feels new/fresh and in the same way classic Knopfler.

The sound quality is good, but some tracks a bit to compressed.

The DVD was a bit of a disappointment, just 18 minutes. I don't regret buying the DVD version anyway.

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't attribute that to age. MK has never liked being pigeon holed. His Dire Straits music stayed true to the bands flavor, but his solo work was always a place for him to play with other genres. I personally love everything he's done, and his "Neck And Neck" album with Chet Atkins remains one of my favorites.

ok now i got to cd shopping i don't have that one.

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #26 of 31
I've been enjoying this one A LOT. At first I thought there weren't really any standout tracks on it, but that it was more solid overall than Roadrunning (which had 4 standouts and quite a bit of....uh, filler IMO).

But as I listened to it more, I was sufficiently blown away by the depth of songs like Heart Full Of Holes, and In The Sky. I feel Knopfler is one of those rare guys that evolved from hotshot guitarist to a really accomplished songwriter -- always low key and unpretentious, but even moreso lately. Like there's nothing to prove, y'know? He has the chops, but he almost never shows off. The guitar work is very understated. Ymmv.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 31
sorry to dig up an old thread, but you all might like to know MK is touring this summer. I just got my Red Rocks Tickets ordered this morning
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #28 of 31
Cool! I really like Mark Knopfler's solo and Dire Straits music. Kill to Get Crimson is a terrific album of his.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #29 of 31
Nice album, "We can get wild" is lovely. But, IMO his voice sounds much better on the album "All The Roadrunning" with Emmylou Harris. Some nice songs there too.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #30 of 31
I like this album very much, too. Of course you have to like the style: very quiet, acoustic, subtle. For me it's very fascinating, and it shines on my Sennheiser HD-595.

I still think that "Shangri-La" is a touch better, especially in SACD, but you really can't go wrong with Mark!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back