Marantz NA7004 - Why isn't it popular?
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

digicosmos

100+ Head-Fier
A few days ago I got this on sale for $399.  What's Hi-Fi gave it 5 stars but the reviews on Amazon and other forums are terrible.  However, the sound from this huge black box is just amazing.  I've compared its built-in headphone amp with my Schiit Valhalla and Marantz is even a tad better.  Works great with both K701 and HD600.  At $399 I think it's hard to beat.  I am wondering why there isn't a lot of people talking about it.  So far, I see that most of the negative comments are about its inadequacy as a network player, but for me, it works great as a USB DAC with a built-in amplifier.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 19
So you got it for half off? I see MSRP is $799. Maybe a lot of people are scared off by the poor reviews. Also, it doesn't seem to support DSD and at this price point I guess a lot of people are looking for that feature. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
So you got it for half off? I see MSRP is $799. Maybe a lot of people are scared off by the poor reviews. Also, it doesn't seem to support DSD and at this price point I guess a lot of people are looking for that feature. 

OIC.  Thanks.  Yes, now it's $399 everywhere.  I wouldn't have got it if it were $799.  It seems that USB input doesn't support 192/24 but most of my music is regular CD format so that doesn't bother me

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 19
Many of the complaints were due to early problems with software that have since been cleared up with recent firmware upgrades. 

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-players/latest-firmware-update-for-marantz-na7004

The gapless playback issue was HUGE, especially with anyone who listens to a lot of classical music.

Still not sure about 24/192 playback from USB, but that's not a problem if you have a USB to S/PDIF converter.

No WiFi but that's easily fixed with an WiFi to ethernet wireless access point type box, which is cheap.

If you favor the Marantz house sound, at the current $399 price point it might just be a winner.

I'm planning on getting it just for our home/office system which is mostly headphone listening.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 19
I have had one of these since release and the new firmware has really turned it around.  Every issue i had with it has now been resolved and its solid as a rock.

The only downside being my record collection is now collecting dust.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Hi I have had the Marantz na7004 for just over a year now and have used it exclusively with headphones as a bed side rig. Mostly ripping cd's and streaming lossless via airplay controlled by ipad or laptop using home sharing (the Marantz NA7004 is reported to support up to 192kHz/24-bit audio over Airplay but not via usb).  I also use the internet radio function a fair bit which has been fun with lots of stations to listen to.  Its been easy to ethernet the wireless, I use a powerline adapter.

Its been a really convenient set up and enjoyable experience so far. I had the HD650's prior to the Marantz which I used to plug into my hifi separates system various receivers with cd player as source and dac . The sound quality out of the Marantz combined with the HD650 was quiet an eye opener and certainly gave me my first wow factor with headphones hearing for the first time all those subtle extra details and little nuances which suddenly become revealed in familiar tracks. It has a particularly nice way about it with female vocals and acoustic tracks with the 650's adding what I would call atmosphere, texture and intimacy = emotion  to some of my favourite songs that I know well and can reference from having experienced them live in small intimate venues on several occasions. I wasn't expecting to be in goosebump territory.

I noticed it is reported to share the same dac configuration as the £2500 MarantzKI Pearl sacd player which was breathed on by Ken Ishiwata who is probably one of the most influential people in the high-end audio industry.

"The KI Pearls where extra special KI Signature units. Developed to celebrate Ken’s 30 years with Marantz in 2009, they celebrate a sublime love of music and express human emotion in all its richness."

There are many stella reviews, this was one of the main drivers for my purchase .  I took a gamble as I could not believe Ken Ishiwata would put his name to anything at such a level without it being rather good and hoped the sound signature would transfer with the same components to the NA7004. The Marantz sound will not suit everyone but I like it combined with the HD650's for the type of music I listen to.  The headphone volume is a small dial next to the headphone out jack I find quarter volume just right and anywhere near half volume is starting to get painful.

I also have a pair of beyerdynamic t1's which have a very noticeable difference in sound to them, I think the two phones both sound great out of the Marantz and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I feel the T1's could do with a bit more control or oomph than the inbuilt amp has to offer but kind of really expected that and also with the T1's I occasionally get a little more sibilience than I would like but only on the odd track, something which never happens with the HD 650's.  On the other hand the T1's can really leave the sens standing with different genres of music its prat is just fantastic and its bass for me is just right (I find the senns a bit bass heavy and muddy on occasions).  Again a lot has to do with personal tastes.

I really like listening to both cans a lot out of the Marantz, each can sound superb depending on genera's of music.  I am also itching to try the Marantz dac paired with a OTL tube amp but have yet to decide if its going to be a Woo 2, Icon HP8 Mk11 or perhaps even having a go at a diy bottle head crack!

On the whole and for what its worth I think the Marantz na7004 with the heavily reduced price is worthy of some serious consideration for anyone looking for a headphone rig or even as a dac.

Edit I have just done a little ab testing of the 650 and T1 re sibilance and the sibilience is noticeable with the HD650 as well but not so pronounced.  The track I am listening to is by Cara Dillon, "The winding river roe"  it is an interesting track imo as its a combination of a C or High C close mic female solo vocal with Uillean pipes providing a deep thick droning bass which is reverberating in the background.

"

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 19
I have mine at 799 and have never been heavier. Being my first DAC, I threw most of my listening time to it for the past two years.  I had it head to head compared to other DACs at much higher price but it did not disappoint us at all.
My current need requires a DSD decoding and I am searching for any solution for it.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 19
thank u

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 19
Just picked one up this past week for half the MSRP. Thus far sounds a little thin via the ipod and computer. I feel it will get better. Have yet to figure away to hook up the internet into the unit which is on another floor of the the house. This wireless type hook up mentioned earlier is new to me. The NA 7004 is a steal at this price. Get it while you can. The PM8004 integrated amp really sings. Could not pass up the deal of the NA7004 worth a try.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 19
Well I have been having a sort out in the olds attic and along with my old records I found my old MS 15 Mordaunt Short bookself speakers and Marantz PM151 amp these were my very first amp and speakers and they had not seen the light of day for some 20 years. High on a whim of nostalgia I thought I would connect them up via the NA7004 not actually expecting much and was gob smacked.  I really cant remember these speakers ever sounding so good, considering that these speakers now go for next to nothing on fleebay. I was well chuffed with the result. And its kind of neat listening to tracks over them via airplay.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 19

I also have a pair of beyerdynamic t1's which have a very noticeable difference in sound to them, I think the two phones both sound great out of the Marantz and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I feel the T1's could do with a bit more control or oomph than the inbuilt amp has to offer but kind of really expected that and also with the T1's I occasionally get a little more sibilience than I would like but only on the odd track, something which never happens with the HD 650's.  On the other hand the T1's can really leave the sens standing with different genres of music its prat is just fantastic and its bass for me is just right (I find the senns a bit bass heavy and muddy on occasions).  Again a lot has to do with personal tastes.

Edit I have just done a little ab testing of the 650 and T1 re sibilance and the sibilience is noticeable with the HD650 as well but not so pronounced.  The track I am listening to is by Cara Dillon, "The winding river roe"  it is an interesting track imo as its a combination of a C or High C close mic female solo vocal with Uillean pipes providing a deep thick droning bass which is reverberating in the background.

Following up to T1 re sibilance

After seeing Cara Dillon singing live only 20 feet away this week the T1's give the more accurate reproduction the sibilience is as is and in her voice at certain pitches and distances from the microphone. Actually I am very impressed with the level of sound reproduction offered by the T1's out of the headphone amp on the NA7004 I find them very neutral and life like for this type of acoustic oriented music.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 19
  I have mine at 799 and have never been heavier. Being my first DAC, I threw most of my listening time to it for the past two years.  I had it head to head compared to other DACs at much higher price but it did not disappoint us at all.
My current need requires a DSD decoding and I am searching for any solution for it.

Get a Loki from Schiit and pair it with your Marantz, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back