Marantz HD-DAC1
Jan 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #152 of 1,283
  Put them on a decent power strip/line conditioner with a power switch? Not ideal, but maybe some help?

Yes, as a last resort, I might have to do that.  Still somewhat inconvenient.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #153 of 1,283
Ummm ...buy something else?  It is what it is I am afraid. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #154 of 1,283
I thought the Marantz was slightly more musical vs the more analytical nature of the OPPO. Marantz's house sound Dna is there (which I think is very good). they both sound amazing and I was lucky enough to have both at the same time to compare. It came down to the unlocking issue and the OPPO's analog inputs.

Interestingly enough I thought the single-ended jack on the Marantz did a much better job than the ha-1 with my he-400's.

I just got the Marantz today so I have not had much time with it but my observations on the sound so far are pretty much the same as yours. I have the Oppo too and I think the sound is fantastic but more analytical. The Marantz is very smooth and musical. I'm really glad that I get to keep them both because choosing one over the other would be very difficult. I like the features on the Oppo, balanced, analog inputs, and excellent display but I think I like the sound of the Marantz a bit better. I'm surprised how well the Marantz drives my HD800s. I use a balanced cable for the Oppo and I think the Marantz drives them as good if not better. I'm very impressed but I need to do a lot more listening and comparing.
The appearance and build quality of both are exceptional. They look very different from one another but both look great in their own way.
I'm not experiencing the unlocking problem but I'm using Jriver for playback and I use a smooth cross fade from song to song for playlists and the "gapless on sequential album tracks" setting. I never unlock even when changing sample rate between tracks.
If I had to choose one I would have to choose the Oppo because I need the analog input for my Turntable and I need the balanced out for my Amp. I really like the sound of both and I'm glad that I don't have to choose one over the other. I have a feeling that I'll develop preferences and listen to different types of music on each. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #155 of 1,283
Can I ask if you hear the locking or clicking noise when you startup JRiver. I usually don't hear the locking relay noise unless I start or exit a program such as JRiver or another media player. Once the program is running then its usually ok till the relay disengages due to something I'm doing on my pc when working. Just trying to determine if my unit has something really wrong or just the way Marantz does things. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #156 of 1,283
Can I ask if you hear the locking or clicking noise when you startup JRiver. I usually don't hear the locking relay noise unless I start or exit a program such as JRiver or another media player. Once the program is running then its usually ok till the relay disengages due to something I'm doing on my pc when working. Just trying to determine if my unit has something really wrong or just the way Marantz does things. Thanks.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with your unit. I hear the relay every time I start and stop playback when I am in JRiver. It does not lock and click until I start playing a song then it clicks and unlocks again if I press stop. The click is very faint and comes from the unit I do not hear anything through my headphones or speakers.
If I play a game it locks as soon as the game starts and then unlocks when I exit the game.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #158 of 1,283
Have any other models been announced by Marantz to match the DAC1? A speaker amp perhaps? Or a proper pre amp?

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #159 of 1,283
Have any other models been announced by Marantz to match the DAC1? A speaker amp perhaps? Or a proper pre amp?

I have heard people speculate Marantz might release a power-amp to match the HD-DAC1. But that is just what they are, speculations. No sources for his were ever mentioned.

I wouldn't count on it personally.

You could always use the power-direct-in on the PM-11S3, PM-14S1 or PM-15S2 if you insist on using a Marantz amp (which is no bad choice). Slap a couple of planks of wood to the sides and you're done as far as matching looks are concerned...

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #161 of 1,283
  Are the Knobs metal? Is the resistance when turning the knobs fluid and hi-quality feel?

The knobs are metal.

The volume control has the standard feel and resistance of an ALPS blue motorised pot (because it is one).  Therefore slightly less fluid than a non-motorised one as you are also turning a friction-controlled clutch when manually adjusting the volume.

The source selection knob has a high quality fluid feel, but the indents could be a little more positive, i.e. its is hard to "feel" the indents properly.  However, in practice I think it is easier to use the remote control to select the input, as there are dedicated selection buttons for each input.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #162 of 1,283
  The knobs are metal.

The volume control has the standard feel and resistance of an ALPS blue motorised pot (because it is one).  Therefore slightly less fluid than a non-motorised one as you are also turning a friction-controlled clutch when manually adjusting the volume.

The source selection knob has a high quality fluid feel, but the indents could be a little more positive, i.e. its is hard to "feel" the indents properly.  However, in practice I think it is easier to use the remote control to select the input, as there are dedicated selection buttons for each input.

Thanks 2leftears.  Good to know the feel quality is there also. 

On a different note, Will the HD-DAC1 be sonically better than what's coming out (Cirrus CS4382A DAC)  of my older Oppo BDP-93?

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #163 of 1,283
So to those that have listened to the HD800s via the HD-DAC1, does it do the headphones justice (relative to other deducates headphone amps)?

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #164 of 1,283
  Are the Knobs metal? Is the resistance when turning the knobs fluid and hi-quality feel?

I give the knobfeel a 7 out of 10. Not the smoothest or biggest but very satisfying still.  (In comparison a classic Pioneer gets a 9, a Woo gets an 8.5, and the new Teacs, a 3).

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #165 of 1,283
Hi, I'm interesting in HD-DAC1, but I found it only has 3.5mm line input. I own a turntable that I like to connect my phono amplifier with RCA line output to HD-DAC1 amplifier stage, so I like to know whether the rca to 3.5mm cable distorts the quality or not?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back