Marantz HD-DAC1
Jan 13, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #121 of 1,283
  There is the SA8005 - seems to share a similar DAC section to the HD-DAC1 (USB / coax / optical input incl. DSD capability). The headamp section is the "HDAM SA2" - whereas in the SA-11S3 it is the "HDAM". Not sure what the headamp in the HD-DAC1 is though

Anyone though has experience with SA8005 headphone out vs. HD-DAC1?

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #122 of 1,283
  There is the SA8005 - seems to share a similar DAC section to the HD-DAC1 (USB / coax / optical input incl. DSD capability). The headamp section is the "HDAM SA2" - whereas in the SA-11S3 it is the "HDAM". Not sure what the headamp in the HD-DAC1 is though

Thanks 
smile.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #123 of 1,283

Thanks 
smile.gif

It's slightly off topic, but here is quite interesting summary comapring irDAC with SA8005 DAC section: http://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/HANDS-ONREVIEW:MARANTZPM8005ANDSA8005.html

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #125 of 1,283
Anyone though has experience with SA8005 headphone out vs. HD-DAC1?

I have the SA8005, the headphone out is a bit weak for headphones like HE500/560, but drives Hd600 and T1 pretty well. But it's no where near a dedicated headphone amp like G109P. I only use it for speakers though.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #126 of 1,283
I have the SA8005, the headphone out is a bit weak for headphones like HE500/560, but drives Hd600 and T1 pretty well. But it's no where near a dedicated headphone amp like G109P. I only use it for speakers though.

That I can imagine, since LP G109P is an dedicated HP amp with more the 400EUR price range. Interesting if HD-DAC1 is indeed better on HP out than flagship SA8005.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #127 of 1,283
  That I can imagine, since LP G109P is an dedicated HP amp with more the 400EUR price range. Interesting if HD-DAC1 is indeed better on HP out than flagship SA8005.

I have no experience with the SA8005, and my models are older, but I own the SA15S1 and PM15S1.
The SA15S1 headamp sounds horrible and i need to crank the volume up a lot even for fairly sensitive headphones (Ultrasone Ed8).
The PM15S1 sounds much better, but the HD-DAC1 is a worthy upgrade. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #128 of 1,283

I have no experience with the SA8005, and my models are older, but I own the SA15S1 and PM15S1.
The SA15S1 headamp sounds horrible and i need to crank the volume up a lot even for fairly sensitive headphones (Ultrasone Ed8).
The PM15S1 sounds much better, but the HD-DAC1 is a worthy upgrade. 

Thanks a lot for suggestion. I have CD5004/PM6004 and on CD indeed useless, but on PM works with my Grado, but sound is condensed, narrowed soundstage and not too much air between the instruments. My separate DAC amp is much better. I am thinking about possible very good DAC and headphone amp on one unit, so Marantz may be worth auditioning.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #129 of 1,283
  Hey guys, I just picked this DAC up and am currently burning it in. However, the Marantz "clicking" noise is driving me crazy. I noticed others were also complaining about the clicking noise. Every time I start or stop anything with the DAC then there is a loud clicking noise. Is this an inherent trait of the Marantz DAC and there is nothing that can be done about it. I tried adjusting various setting in JRiver but to no avail. Besides the annoying click, I'm definitely enjoying the sound of this DAC.  So far it seems more musical than my previous Sabre 9016 based DAC. Thanks.

When I had the DAC-1 it did the same thing. It's the DAC unlocking with no signal. The tipping point for me was it unlocking between tracks, which is especially apparent with Tidal Streaming that does not have gapless playback yet. So I ended up returning it though I liked the sound and feature set very much.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #130 of 1,283

When I had the DAC-1 it did the same thing. It's the DAC unlocking with no signal. The tipping point for me was it unlocking between tracks, which is especially apparent with Tidal Streaming that does not have gapless playback yet. So I ended up returning it though I liked the sound and feature set very much.

It looks like you traded to the Oppo HA-1?  I've only read one head to head between the two; would you mind comparing them?  Sound, feature set, build quality, overall enjoyment, etc. I assume then that the HA-1 doesn't unlock and click like the DAC1?

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #131 of 1,283
Pity the SA=11S3 is not as good headphone out as the Dac 1 - I was hoping to pick up a very good 'all in one player head amp' for my father, who is computer illiterate. Any other suggestions?

Wait a minute - someone saying that SA-11S3 has lower quality headphone out than HD-DAC1? Really? If so, kind of pity for Marantz! Any other SACD all-in-one Marantz player to compare with HD-DAC1 or the latter one seems to be the best?

I was not suggesting the headphone output on the SA-11S3 is bad. It is in fact the best integrated one on a CD player that I have heard. However, it can't compete with the better dedicated headphone amps.

The voltage amplification section (VAS) in the SA-11S3, SA8005 and HD-DAC1 I would expect to be very similar, albeit that they may be implemented around different versions of Marantz' HDAM discrete opamp series.

Where the difference lies is that in the HD-DAC1 a generously dimensioned zero global feedback current dumping section is employed, and that the matching of the amp to the headphone impedance & sensitivity has to be specifically set by the user by selecting the amount of feedback utilized in the voltage amp section.

In the SA-11S3 I suspect (and all other audio components not primarily designed as a headphone amp I have ever come across) the matching to the headphone impedance is done automatically by means on an approx. 120 Ohm resistor in the output to the headphones. This has an immediate audible impact on the sound character of the headphones as the impedance curve of headphones (just like regular speakers) is far from flat. In my experience most headphones benefit from being driven from a low output impedance like the HD-DAC1. The bass performance becomes markedly tighter and more controlled. There are exceptions however. Allegedly (although I am happy to be corrected as I cannot remember for the life of me where I read this) the Beyerdynamic T1 is designed to be driven from a finite output impedance. Driving that one from a low output impedance can make it sound too thin (i.e. it loses some warmth). Beyerdynamic's A1 headphone amp released at the time to be paired with its flagship T1 headphones has an output impedance of 100 Ohms. (their recent A2 headphone amp has a selectable output impedance of 0 Ohm or 100 Ohm). Ideally all headphone amps should come with a selectable output impedance!

So I would personally say the SA-11S3 would be a great 'all in one player head amp'. It might struggle to drive higher impedance headphones though (depending on how loud your father likes or needs to play it).

Edited: previously referred to Beyerdynamic A20 instead of A1

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #132 of 1,283

Don't you mean the SA-11S3? The SA8005 is a more recent model but certainly not Marantz' flagship model. And yes, the HD-DAC1 is indeed better than the SA-11S3 on HP out.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #134 of 1,283
thank you 2leftears - he is pretty deaf these days! Just looking around for something that is simple and he can enjoy without fuss. 

Not sure an SA-11S3 would be the first option to spring to my mind then. It is very good and very good value for money, but still not exactly a budget player. And don't even think about putting it on a bookshelf. It is huge and weighs a whopping 16.5kg...

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #135 of 1,283
Thanks - I have to save up some money first anyway, for it and a pair of cans for him, so perhaps the SA 8005 may be more suitable.

Good thing he is in the USA, I can order USA models. Bad thing is I have to pay for it with the Aus $ ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back