Marantz HD-DAC1
Jan 12, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,036 of 1,280
Returning to this thread to vouch for the following chain
Amazon HD > iPhone 6S > HD-DAC1 USB B (on the back) > Low Gain > Shure SRH 940 (with 1540 pads).

I have had all this gear (apart from the pads) for years but never quite connected it like this before (somehow I used to prefer the front iDevice input!).

I have other good DACs, amps and cans but this is pretty much the best combination I have heard. The HD800s should also sound great.

Best
James

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #1,037 of 1,280
Returning to this thread to vouch for the following chain
Amazon HD > iPhone 6S > HD-DAC1 USB B (on the back) > Low Gain > Shure SRH 940 (with 1540 pads).

I have had all this gear (apart from the pads) for years but never quite connected it like this before (somehow I used to prefer the front iDevice input!).

I have other good DACs, amps and cans but this is pretty much the best combination I have heard. The HD800s should also sound great.

Best
James
I totally agree with you. The front panel usb input for Apple devices or thumb drive is not as good as the back usb input. I use a Samsung S7 edge or S10+ with an Audioquest Jitterbug and Carbon usb cable running UAPP audio app upsampled to 176 khz off my ripped CD wav file into the HD-DAC1 and its so much better. Takes it to another level.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,040 of 1,280
I haven't noticed any quality differences between front and back USB ports 🤷‍♂️
Have you installed the Marantz asio drivers? If you're streaming into the rear without them it will sound pretty poor.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,041 of 1,280
I was using the front port with an ipod, it seems to congest things just a bit. I really didn't notice until it was brought up. It wouldn't stop me from using it by any means. Still better than my Dragonfly Red.

I purchased a Liquid Carbon X to compare against, as mentioned previously, and I have to admit, they sound VERY close. I could not pass a blind test. The LCX has a little bit more warmth and weight to it in the lowest frequencies. In bass heavy music, r&b, rap, metal, it's a little easier to distinguish which one I'm listening to. The sub bass is more in quantity and is always the give away.
Listening to "God is Good" by OM , "Adorn" by Miguel, I prefer the LCX.

Listening to some Jazz, vocal music, pop, I have a hard time remembering which one I'm plugged into. The Marantz has a smoother treble presentation by such a small amount that I have a hard time describing this. Is it rolled off? Is there a technical word for it? It is a much smaller difference than the one in the bass, which is already pretty small. The soundstage is just a tad better with the Marantz.
Listening to "We Were Raised Under Grey Skies" by JP Cooper, "Sunset in the Blue" by Melody Gardot, I prefer the Marantz.

On certain songs, some genres even, the differences are indistinguishable. As you can see from the pic below, volume matched, both units on high gain, the dials are nearly in the same position.

To me, this speaks to the quality of the Marantz headphone amp! The Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon sold for $599 originally. I'm falling more and more in love with this unit!

image0 (3).jpeg

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,042 of 1,280
I haven't noticed any quality differences between front and back USB ports 🤷‍♂️
I’ve owned this unit for over 5 years and it took a ‘new’ combination last week to hear the difference. It is significant in all aspects. No going back. CCK & charger now required!

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,043 of 1,280
I got more orchestral detail in complex passages and improved imaging when I switched from the HD-DAC1 to a Drop THX-789 + Topping D50s. I still think the HD-DAC1 was a bargain even at its original MSRP.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,044 of 1,280
I got more orchestral detail in complex passages and improved imaging when I switched from the HD-DAC1 to a Drop THX-789 + Topping D50s. I still think the HD-DAC1 was a bargain even at its original MSRP.
I have had the HD-DAC1 for a couple of years now. I've been using it mostly as a DAC in my stereo listening room and have been extremely happy with it. In the last week I bought some new headphones and have now realized just how good of a headphone amp it is also. Just wondering if any of you guys that have this can suggest something that will sound about is good when I'm out and about. Either a DAP or a DAC/headphone amp that is small and light enough to carry in a fanny pack. I already have the Chord mojo and it has served me well but I'm looking for something that's a significant step up. So far I'm leaning towards a HiBy R6 2020 if I go DAP and an iFi idsd signature if I go with a separate DAC/amp. Anyone have any experience with either of these and how they would compare with the HD-DAC1 for sound quality? Or maybe suggest something else? Thanks in advance

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,046 of 1,280
HI all , does anyone have a suggestion on how to hook up a Shiit LOKI eq to the Marantz? im a little confused on how i would go about setting this up seeing the LOKI only has
analog in and out.

DSF1632-1.jpg
The only way I see possible is if you use just the DAC of the marantz and run the analog output from it into the analog input of this. Then you would have to run the analog output of the Loki into a different headphone amp that has an analog input. If I'm wrong that would make me full of Schiit. If I'm right, and you don't wish to buy another amplifier, I think you're up Schiit's creek. Also note there is a C in the name of the company. Curious how this works out it seems like a cool device. Good luck

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #1,047 of 1,280
The only way I see possible is if you use just the DAC of the marantz and run the analog output from it into the analog input of this. Then you would have to run the analog output of the Loki into a different headphone amp that has an analog input. If I'm wrong that would make me full of Schiit. If I'm right, and you don't wish to buy another amplifier, I think you're up Schiit's creek. Also note there is a C in the name of the company. Curious how this works out it seems like a cool device. Good luck

Just contacted SCHIIT!( got it right this time.:) ) Just like you said , they basically told me that i need a paddle to go with my canoe..

Since this is an intergrated amp design , i would need an external source.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,048 of 1,280
Just contacted SCHIIT!( got it right this time.:) ) Just like you said , they basically told me that i need a paddle to go with my canoe..

Since this is an intergrated amp design , i would need an external source.
Don't despair too bad. Depending on what you are using as a source there are several EQ apps that people seem to like. If you already have the Loki it's still a bummer though

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,049 of 1,280
Well if you find a portable with the SQ of the Marantz, do tell! I use a dragonfly red but it's not as good, also different sound sig, a little brighter and closed in.

I also plan to move my Marantz downstairs to use in a stereo system, I'm just hoping to find a DAC that has a warmer and wide sound stage as the Marantz does. Makes it hard to pull the trigger on a new unit knowing I might be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,050 of 1,280
Well if you find a portable with the SQ of the Marantz, do tell! I use a dragonfly red but it's not as good, also different sound sig, a little brighter and closed in.

I also plan to move my Marantz downstairs to use in a stereo system, I'm just hoping to find a DAC that has a warmer and wide sound stage as the Marantz does. Makes it hard to pull the trigger on a new unit knowing I might be dissapointed.
I move it between upstairs and downstairs a few times a week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back