Marantz HD-DAC1
Mar 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #272 of 1,283
  I have had my DAC1 for a few months now. I am on my second unit aswell. The first one I got was one someone had returned to Amazon. Amazon made them mistake of sending it to me as new. With the first one I had the click you hear from the DAC switching on when it has a source could actually be heard through the headphones. Where as my current one you can not. I am so far lucky enough not to get any hum like some of you. I am currently using DT880 600Ohm with the DAC1. Looking to upgrade my headphones now. Any recommendations that would match well with the DAC1?

Hi, I have a question. You guys say the clicking sound is gone when you switch on when it has a source. Is this just through the headphones or when the DAC is connected to the speakers do you not hear anymore clicks. I had just finally accepted that the clicking sound from the relay was inevitable with this DAC. However, if you guys got click free units now then maybe Marantz corrected something in the later units as I got mine in November 2014. Anyway, just trying to see if it is worthwhile for me to send mine in. THANKS!

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #274 of 1,283

Okay then, send them an email and they will get right on that for you....

Have them put in a couple of decent analog inputs while they're at it.  
smile_phones.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #275 of 1,283

Hi, I have a question. You guys say the clicking sound is gone when you switch on when it has a source. Is this just through the headphones or when the DAC is connected to the speakers do you not hear anymore clicks. I had just finally accepted that the clicking sound from the relay was inevitable with this DAC. However, if you guys got click free units now then maybe Marantz corrected something in the later units as I got mine in November 2014. Anyway, just trying to see if it is worthwhile for me to send mine in. THANKS!

Brand new unit and it clicks every time it is locking onto a different bit rate.  Normal stuff, that means it is decoding "bit perfect" like a Schiit Audio DAC does.  Not audible through the headphones at all, just the unit itself has a relay click.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #276 of 1,283
I have the Marantz 5009 and have a 5.1 setup right now, BUT,
I have a headphone amp and dac by Schiit Audio that I like using and I want to use it with marantz but there's no optical audio out,
So my question is,
What by marantz could I get to be able to get that optical audio out to use it with my Schiit?

Right now I have my Schiit Audio connected to my xboxone and it works but I'm wanting to listen to the radio and that from my marantz so, what could I get for it to work?
Thanks!

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #277 of 1,283
I have the Marantz 5009 and have a 5.1 setup right now, BUT,
I have a headphone amp and dac by Schiit Audio that I like using and I want to use it with marantz but there's no optical audio out,
So my question is,
What by marantz could I get to be able to get that optical audio out to use it with my Schiit?

Right now I have my Schiit Audio connected to my xboxone and it works but I'm wanting to listen to the radio and that from my marantz so, what could I get for it to work?
Thanks!

What are the digital outs of the Marantz and what are the digital ins of the Schiit dac ?
Apart from going digital from the Marantz, you could check whether you can go analogue (rca) from the Marantz to the Schiit amp

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #278 of 1,283
My first unit I could hear the DAC clicking through the headphones. My current unit still does click but I can not hear it via the headphones. It is also overall more quite. Just to let you know you can also load a program/webpage that interacts with an audio device and it will stay locked in. I just have a webpage open that uses HTML 5 to access audio API and as long as that is webpage is open my device never unlocks it stays at 192k.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #279 of 1,283

ok, well the only input is really just the optical audio, but the marinate only has an input for optical audio. 
i can't really get longer rca cables because then that effects the sound.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #282 of 1,283
Ok, there suppose to go together tho,
Right now I have it connected to my xboxone and the audio works and I did have the second video out from marantz working but the audio wasn't working so I switched it back,
It kinda sounds dumb by price that I prefer my $200 Schiit to use with my earbuds then the Marantz but, I tested them and the Schiit sounds better for "earbuds/headphones".
Tape out analog to the Schiit amp, that's about it really. I'd treat them as 2 seperate things if it was me though.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #283 of 1,283
Ok, there suppose to go together tho,
Right now I have it connected to my xboxone and the audio works and I did have the second video out from marantz working but the audio wasn't working so I switched it back,
It kinda sounds dumb by price that I prefer my $200 Schiit to use with my earbuds then the Marantz but, I tested them and the Schiit sounds better for "earbuds/headphones".

It just makes no sense, the only thing you want to do is listen to FM radio? 

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #285 of 1,283
The problem is that all of those sources are usually hooked up HDMI through your Marantz and are being processed by it's D/A converters, so if you go out of the analog tape out and only hook the Schiit amp up you'd be okay as long as you only listen to "Stereo" mode on the Marantz when using headphones. 

If you want to use the Schiit DAC also you are screwed because the SR5009 has no digital out that isn't an HDMI

So....Whoever sold you this combo didn't so a very good job at system design for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back