Mapletree or Woo Audio for tube headphone amp
Sep 29, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 32
I'm drawn to the PPX SLAMM as well, but my wallet keeps jumping between us!

....it keeps looking at that looooong list of updates and options.
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's lots of things I like about GS-1; like forthcoming modular updates and discrete components and a few other points less obvious and important to the average listener.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm drawn to the PPX SLAMM as well, but my wallet keeps jumping between us!

....it keeps looking at that looooong list of updates and options.
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's lots of things I like about GS-1; like forthcoming modular updates and discrete components and a few other points less obvious and important to the average listener.

Being inately curious about everything audio related I have owned all the amps you mentioned ; plus a few you haven't mentioned.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think the GS-1 is an excellent SS amp and a great value. But, I always have lost interest in the amp BOTH times I bought one. Tube amps are just somehow more satisfying. I love the features and the GS-1 is an excellent preamp .... but the GS-1 could never draw my attetion away from any of the tube amps for headphone listening.

The Ear+ is quite good for the money but with the dolar losing value the Ear+ is not the value it used to be. Moreover, I am sorry to report, as good as the Ear+ can sound with grados, the amp just does not do it for me with my favorite senn 580/600/650's .... or even my 120 ohm senn 595. I know people like the Ear+ with senns, but compared to the other amps I have something is definitely missing with the high impedence senns.

The stock Woo 6 is another amp I find to have many positives; like the appearance and build quality. But, when it comes to sound quality the sound is not as good to me as the others. The Ear+ and my heavily modded/ rebuilt Doge 6210 are definitely better suited for grados. Non-Singlepower amps like the Space Tech lab 6as7g, Sound Quest SQ-84, and again, the modded/ rebuilt Doge 6210 I have are better with the senns. The Woo 6 is competent with a wide range of headphones, but the 6 sounds closed in and hi-fi compared to the other amps with their best matches. If the Woo 6 is to compete with my amp stash I would only be happy if the amp had the full set of upgrades .... which then pushes the amp into competition with pricier and even better sounding amps.

The Singlepower PPX3 SLAM was love at first sound and that has never changed. Outside my other Singlepower amps, nothing I have can get senns going like the SLAM. Moreover, you can change the gain tube with the 6SN7 model for a different flavor and make the amp equally good with Grados .... or even AKG's. I go absolutely crazy with the pure stock PPX3 6SN7 SLAM / MS2 combo with rock and electric blues. I would not worry about options .... the stock SLAM is an amazing amp. In fact, I sold my Ear+ and Woo 6 and bought a second, used, pure stock, PPX3 6SN7 SLAM.
580smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 32
Gotta admit it; Your experience and enthusiasm is very hard to ignore!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quite difficult indeed!
icon10.gif

....yeah; I'm gonna give it another look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Good question. I'm looking at maybe buying WA6(or GS-1) completely stock as it's a budget-buster already. With the thoughts of adding the upgrades maybe a year later. But if it sounds OK in stock form, maybe I can get back to feeding the kids a bit earlier.
tongue.gif

You should try to come down to the meet on October 27 in South Florida. There may be a PPX3 present (Mikhail may be here) and I know a GS-1 will be here since Justin is attending. I am not aware of anyone with a WA6 but maybe we can find someone who will send one down. This way you can make up your own mind and not rely on other opinions that might be biased towards their favorite manufacturer.

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try to come down to the meet on October 27 in South Florida. There may be a PPX3 present (Mikhail may be here) and I know a GS-1 will be here since Justin is attending. I am not aware of anyone with a WA6 but maybe we can find someone who will send one down. This way you can make up your own mind and not rely on other opinions that might be biased towards their favorite manufacturer.

That's an excellent suggestion, Mike, and one I would have taken very seriously just a few years back.

Really!

These days though, as a retired Engineer rather than a working one, there has been a 180 degree shift in outlook.

....plus the unexpected gain of four Grandkids to raise!
blink.gif

Now it's not the fear of the unknown that's important, but the fear of the known.

Just as I would never roadtest a Ferrari if all I could afford was a Ford, I would be terribly nervous listening to a system that's potentially financially out of my reach.

Ignorance sometimes IS bliss!
icon10.gif

It's simple, really. With my age and situation, I understand that my "final" phones are going to be my MS2i and HD600. Nothing better. The trick will be to find an amp, and eventually a better source, that will closely match my musical tastes and aesthetics to the final phones that I already have.

There's a particular perverse freedom in knowing that the wallet has the final veto, and that only the limited number of items within that budget and certain other intangible requirements can be considered.

Yup; in this case, what I don't know can't hurt me!
smily_headphones1.gif

....I do know that I like Justins work, and Mikhails work and Jack and Zhi Dongs work, among others, but Justin and Jack are more within my budget.

My ears are aging and higher frequencies are probably beginning to fade, so a cooler dryer sound is more to my liking. But I grew up with tubes and miss their comforting glow.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't go wrong with any of those suggested. The invite is open if you change your mind.

Thanx! I'd like to; but it really kinda scares me!
tongue.gif

Really!
wink.gif

Rich.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 32
I'm picky about artificially hyped detail, yet I insist on accuracy, tilting towards the non-fatiguing and fluid. I find the stock WA6 with a replaced rectifier, a cheap Sylvania 5V4, has many of the virtues touted for the modified WA6. I can't say it is as good, but I find listening is a joy, and competes with my very expensive speaker system for musical detail and enjoyment. I stay up much too late listening!

You can't go wrong... and you can always upgrade parts later.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by accro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Woo Audio 2?

I will be using two sources so 2 or more inputs are needed. Now i have SR-80 but i'm upgrading to higher end Grados. Any thoughts?

You can asked Jack to make one more pair of inputs for you, with a selector switch at the back. My WA6 was ordered that way, cost around UD$70 (around) more.

F. Lo

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #27 of 32
I'd need two in the FRONT, with a switch in back.
tongue.gif

....I keep swapping between high and low impedance phones, even during the same CD!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

I'd need two in the FRONT, with a switch in back.
tongue.gif

....I keep swapping between high and low impedance phones, even during the same CD!
very_evil_smiley.gif

The WA5 has a selector switch for high-low-k1000-speaker in the FRONT. That should meet your needs
rs1smile.gif

F. Lo

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WA5 has a selector switch for high-low-k1000-speaker in the FRONT. That should meet your needs
rs1smile.gif

F. Lo

....so my Banker suggested I avoid that "$5K trap" idea, (*chuckle*
wink.gif
) and stick with maybe two switches on the back and two standard headphone jacks on the front of some kinda less expensive amp.
icon10.gif

My Banker thinks it's a good idea for HIM though!

....told me to say "Thanx"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back