Males/Females on Head-fi
Nov 22, 2016 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
Any one have any theory as to why this site is completely dominated by males?

I'm just curious. I think everybody I've ever bought or sold from on the classifieds area has been male, and I cannot even think of ever having a discussion where it turns out I am speaking to a girl on here. The site literally seems entirely dominated by dudes.

It doesn't seem like good audio quality would be something only males care about, as everyone has the ability to enjoy and appreciate music. I get that it's technology and males tend to be more into that in general, but still, it's just weird.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 38
  .... I think everybody I've ever bought or sold from on the classifieds area has been male, 

.... I cannot even think of ever having a discussion where it turns out I am speaking to a girl on here.

1) Why are so many males selling and trading their gear with you? Perhaps they don't like longterm commitment, and are always looking for a newer 'model'? 
rolleyes.gif

2) Women like to speak face-to-face. It can be more intimate and emotionally fulfilling. Maybe males aren't as much inclined, that way?

Of course, I'm saying the above half-jokingly, but there might be a grain or two of truth in those clichéd gender stereotypes, or they probably wouldn't have become such common clichés in the first place.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 38
  Any one have any theory as to why this site is completely dominated by males?

I'm just curious. I think everybody I've ever bought or sold from on the classifieds area has been male, and I cannot even think of ever having a discussion where it turns out I am speaking to a girl on here. The site literally seems entirely dominated by dudes.

It doesn't seem like good audio quality would be something only males care about, as everyone has the ability to enjoy and appreciate music. I get that it's technology and males tend to be more into that in general, but still, it's just weird.

It's just one of those hobbies that tend to lean towards males. No real reason why but just like men are unlikely to partake in a cheer-leading forum, I guess the same idea applies. Same goes for cars. In the car community the inside joke is that you buy a nice car to impress other dudes because chicks don't really know the difference. 

Recently I was on the bus with my GF and she said she brought "headphones" to listen to music. I said oh great lets share them. She pulled out a $5 pair of those colorful Sony ear bud things that actually sounded like the speaker you'd buy in a musical birthday card yet she was completely content with it.

Another time I was with a friend, a female though, at Target and we were in the electronic section and she pointed to a pair of Bose QC headphones and she said "who in their right mind would ever pay $300 or a pair of headphones???" When I explained to her that a decent headphone amp costs more than that she was completely shocked and confused.

Certain hobbies lean towards each sex one way or another. I have no clue why but that's just how it is I guess.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 38
Headphones and audio equipment in general are a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) subject.  Currently, interest in STEM fields is dominated by males. However, as more females choose to focus on STEM in their education, hopefully more will become interested in related hobbies as well.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 38
I can see where you guys come from. I just think music is a universal enjoyment though, gender shouldn't matter.

I would think women could also appreciate really great sound quality, but I guess it's just something us guys get into more.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 38
Music is a universal enjoyment, but I don't think high sound quality is a universal interest or concern. Some people just don't care, as long as they can hear the music. Also, I think every woman I've personally talked about the subject with (My sister, girlfriend, friend's girlfriends and a couple of others) have all preferred earbuds because they're uber-portable, don't look big on the head and don't mess up her hair. When I pointed out that they're basically the worst sounding type of headphone/earphone there is they didn't mind in the face of the ergonomic benefits that they valued so much.

I dunno, but I personally believe that men and women are fundamentally different from one another. I don't believe in all this "we should be equally represented in all fields" crap. This is just one of those areas where our differences manifest. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 38
Hi there!
As we all know, everyone is a male on the internet until proven otherwise. 
tongue.gif
 But anyway as a woman I can tell you my view on the gear topic.
I've actually just begun to find my way in the field of audio gear, which is one reason I'm mainly hanging around in the <100$/Asia threads.
Like my sister I've always been one of the people saying "Huh, 5€ for a Earbud is enough, <20€ if those are damn fine looking Headphones". This only changed when I started to read in some audio forums (Actually the way I get into any kind of topic) and suddenly had the wish to achieve 'a bit more'. However not that much more, but you've got to have an outset somewhere.
Still my priorities are nowhere near 'high-priced' Audiogear and I'd rather buy myself a new expensive graphics card or some nice games instead of costly headphones.

Another thing I had in mind when I read about those 1k IEMs: I can't wear most headphones because when they apply pressure via their headband I instantly get headache. My QPAD is the first one I could wear for more than 2 hours. Earbuds also hurt my ears (What a disaster when there only were Earbuds to buy with my pocket money in the early 2000s
redface.gif
) so I went with IEs which always broke after a few months. I'm still afraid that they'll break after a short while and I wasted a few hundred bucks.

Well, that's my point on this.

P.s. I hope everything I've written is understandable. I tend to go back and forth while proofreading to diminish grammatical errors and sometimes mess the sentences up even more.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 38
Gear forums are normally dominated by males because they're naturally more interested in the things males invented. If you're interested in something is only natural to invent it on the first place and to research, experiment, test and be interested in that stuff. Now it's still positive to have women around to get a different point of view, never been against it, it just doesn't happen too often.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 38
I would say that its possible that women are more interested in the enjoyment factor than the gear factor... It sounds good to them and they are satisfied.... no need to go digging into the rabbit hole looking for the last scintilla of quality.

I mean look at some of the blokes here that they married.... be happy that they are satisfied with us... lol

You know i just joke

D

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 38
Congrats being the only chick on head-fi! That's something to be proud of.

Not the only chick. I find this all slightly offensive. I have been into techie stuff since before more than a few of you were born. Why should it be something to be proud of? It just is what it is.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 38
I know plenty of females on here. Even befriended a few.

As for the reasons Head-Fi is primarily male, there are many...possibly most of which would be tantamount to Googling the differences between men and women...and much of it would be stereotypes...yada yada...

I don't think they're averse to the idea of high fidelity headphones. I mean, who doesn't want better sound? It's just that they tend to have other things they focus on.

Last year I lived with various women (just as roommates) and showed them all my new headphones. When I explained how expensive some of them can get, one of the girls freaked out. lol. But at the same time, she was really interested in learning about the various technologies and how you can get better sound quality. I remember us laughing together at the fact that I was using a transformer box and speaker amp to drive one pair of headphones.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 38
I think it's like this with every specialization: 
You have the ones who want to know everything about it, the ones who just ask a friend for a slight opinion on the topic and the ones who aren't interested.

Edit: And it would seem weird to go boasting about beeing a woman unless it's part of the topic like this thread. Maybe many you talk to and you just don't know it.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 38
I'm also female and have been interested in headphones/amps/dacs for years, I don't post much but I am an avid reader here. There are likely other girls here keeping it lowkey, I mean it's not like gender comes up to often in general convo in places like this. I know this hobby attracts mainly guys but I can't think of why, surely everyone wants their music to sound as good as it can be?! It always surprises me when people male or female who are self professed music fanatics don't care much about making said music sound great... lots of people I know are completely fine with the free earbuds you get with stuff which hurts my soul. I'd rather spend on some news cans than new shoes or whatnot
biggrin.gif

Then again, I can't really talk as I am also very interested in technology and video games which are also male dominated hobbies I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back