Making my own headphones
Apr 5, 2010 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
I have two drivers, spare time, and the urge to buy cheap working ear protectors (like you see workers wearing when using a loud jack hammer).

I'm thinking about putting the drivers in one, connecting it.. I think I can do this, make something interesting. The drivers are 1.5" in size!

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 24
its just not as easy as slapping them inside and hooking things up lol

you would have to custom mold some parts and find a way to stick the drivers and all the proper material in the right spot, which may require you to custom fit another piece of something that is shaped like the inside of the ear cup to hold the driver and housing, then you would need to custom fit the right ear pads, which will be immensely hard to do, you can get a good driver and crap pads and totally ruin the sound,if its not just right it would sound awful

you need to drill holes in just the right spots and weld them into the proper places

its a crazy hard thing to do but if you can do it, let us know and see your results heh

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 24
Well the mounting challenge is already figured out in my situation. Remember those old metal contructor toys? Gonna used one bent into shape to hold the drive in place while connected to the cups via 3 screws to secure it.

I was going to use the original pads on them, since they are designed to block out external noise. All holes for audio cables will even be hot glued into place, preventing sound leaking in.

They will be a closed design.

I'm going to do this tomorrow, gonna pick up the parts while handing my resume into CompUSA.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its just not as easy as slapping them inside and hooking things up lol

you would have to custom mold some parts and find a way to stick the drivers and all the proper material in the right spot, which may require you to custom fit another piece of something that is shaped like the inside of the ear cup to hold the driver and housing, then you would need to custom fit the right ear pads, which will be immensely hard to do, you can get a good driver and crap pads and totally ruin the sound,if its not just right it would sound awful

you need to drill holes in just the right spots and weld them into the proper places

its a crazy hard thing to do but if you can do it, let us know and see your results heh

Actually, you can just slap things inside. All he needs is a simple baffle on the inside of the earpad and glue (or blutak, epoxy, or screws, something to fasten the driver to it). It's actually quite easy; I have a few headphones that I've rebuilt/stuck a driver in. Also, Duggeh has his infamous ortho/phonodomes
biggrin.gif

You may want to consider finding some gromits, drilling a vent hole (or two) somewhere and adding felt/wool damping and lining the back of the cups and drivers with Dynamat.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 24
If you're not aware, there's a fairly active thread about making headphones out of planar speakers in the DIY section. That seems to be mostly for comedic value at this point.

I might suggest against the cheap safety ear muffs as they're really annoying to modify. I had a pair to steal the headband from and the earcups were just really troubling to disassemble. That said, there was a Make post about them not too long ago.

As for cotton balls, use whatever you want. Try toilet paper. Failure is the precursor to progress!

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 24
It's hard to get the ear muffs apart? I thought the pads would come off and expose the inside of the cup. I was going to work from that way.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 24
If I recall, the pads on those are molded in. I could be wrong but I had to toss mine after I played with them a bit. You might have better luck; mine were these Peltor's, so those might be different?

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 24
SUCCESS!

04-06-10_1420.jpg

04-06-10_1421.jpg

With all possible holes plugged up, bass response is kicking well. Right channel has a rattle, will need to see if something is vibrating against the speaker diaphragm.. Sounds like it.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 24
I put in specially made pads into the ear spot that are memory foam that conform to the ear itself. Tames the high end keeping it bassy and mids. I actually like mids now!!

04-06-10_1640.jpg

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 24
I removed the rattle by raising the speaker away from the plastic piece by half a cm. Musta been hitting it.. I let a few people try it out, and they said it's not only comfortable, but sounds good, with tamed treble that isn't ear piercing.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 24
Having soft dampening material inside isn't always necessary. Ultrasones and beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 ohm don't have any at all. My old beyer dt220 have none as well.

But it may be useful for cups that insanely deep. Nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back