Making my first serious headphones purchase - advice please!
Sep 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

segal

New Head-Fier
So having grown tired of having to continuously replace sub standard earphones, as the title states I'm looking to purchase my first serious pair of headphones. I have researched online extensively, this site in particular, and while I'm a lot more clued up than before I think I need some direct advice to help me decide on a pair.

Some info:

- Budget isn't really an issue, prepared to pay for top quality, say £200 or under ($325?)
- Preferably closed 
- Portable and comfortable for use outside the house
- Good for electronic music, mainly house, though I do listen to most genres

Also bear in mind they'd mainly be used in conjunction with my iPhone, particularly when out and about.

In researching as expected I've seen some common pairs suggested, mainly the Ultrasone HFI 580s and Beyer DT770s, while as far as I know the Audio Technica ATH-M50s and Sennheiser HD 25s have good reputations. Are the ones I'm looking for amongst these, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Your help would be much appreciated. :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 7
I used HD 25 for a few years, about five years ago, the only thing I'd say against them is they tended to pinch my ears a little bit on extending listening sessions.  Perhaps the newer versions of the HD 25 is more comfortable?

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 7
I am in the EXACT same situation as you. 

I was going to go for the 25's because of the superb isolation people say they have which is kinda important for me when youre on a noisy bus.. but they are at the very very very very end of my budget..

I might pick up the ATH-M50(S) as Amazon US has for them £90~ atm

I am going to try hopefully a load of headphones in the shop 'shasonic' in London. I'll give you my thoughts when i try what they have on offer out.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I am in the EXACT same situation as you. 

I was going to go for the 25's because of the superb isolation people say they have which is kinda important for me when youre on a noisy bus.. but they are at the very very very very end of my budget..

I might pick up the ATH-M50(S) as Amazon US has for them £90~ atm

I am going to try hopefully a load of headphones in the shop 'shasonic' in London. I'll give you my thoughts when i try what they have on offer out.

Yeah, isolations important for me too as I'll be using them while travelling on trains and buses.

That's a very reasonable price, and I'd love to hear what you think, that'd be great.

Anyone have any suggestions on the headphones stated in my op, or any others?

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Bowers & Wilkins P5. Highly recommended. I use them almost every day on the bus. Isolates very good, barely leaks sound. Great bass, and they fit perfectly ( I haven't had a problem with them ever sliding off one way or the other). You can have them on for extended listening without hurting your ears. Lightweight, but very solid construction. $200-300. Worth every cent.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Given your budget and preference for closed there's two headphones: Denon AH-D2000 and Ultrasone Pro 900. Since you want it driven off IPhone, then the D2000 will be a better match since it's more efficient. You can find used D2000s in the sale forums here at head-fi in the $200 range usually. Pro 900 is also great and works without an amp, but you won't get as much out of them as you will from a Denon from a Iphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back