Making friends when low-self esteem and anxiety troubles?
Jul 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 37
ill give you my take

how about an excercise bike or something, to do stuff outside would be better, but i understand doing it in public may be humiliating

i have/had the opposite, skinny chap, but cause I wanted to change ive put so much effort into it and it has made me feel better,

now, even better, ive got myself the most amazing lass as of yesterday and for the first time in years i feel great! she deserves better than me so i need to be the best i can for her!

been there

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #17 of 37
Be careful that you do not end up being her "enabler."

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by iszatso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful that you do not end up being her "enabler."

Co-dependency can sneak up on you guys and this situation seems ripe for it, be careful. I applaud your efforts in trying to get her(?) to get out and about. I would suggest some professional help, therapy can do good things. Sometimes a prescription can help too. It is worth looking into, I know it helped me with a messy divorce; nothing will drain a person of self worth like being dumped after 14 years! BTW that was 14 years ago.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #19 of 37
From what I see where I live, obese people are common and they still can make friends. Ideally, people should maintain a reasonable weight but being large is not the end of social life. I see obese people hanging out in malls, restaurants, movie theaters all the time. I think she can easily make friends if she participates more by getting out there.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #20 of 37
I can understand that even excercising can bring out anxieties. Going to a gym with a bunch of really fit people and struggling on a machine...

Eating right would be very important. But I suggest taking up a hobby or joining a club. This is how you get yourself out there and this is how you start becoming passionate about something. Friends and acquaintances start forming after that.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

I can understand that even excercising can bring out anxieties. Going to a gym with a bunch of really fit people and struggling on a machine...

That's not a good reason. You can work out at home, I've shed many pounds by dieting and doing bodyweight exercises. Hell if you have your own place, you can build your gym.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not a good reason. You can work out at home, I've shed many pounds by dieting and doing bodyweight exercises. Hell if you have your own place, you can build your gym.

Um. but Kirosia, can you see that exercising can bring out anxieties? Of course it is not an excuse...but am I not stating the truth when it comes to gyms? Of course you can exercise at home.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #23 of 37
Yes, but you stated as if you can only exercise by going to a gym, which is untrue. Many people are deterred from working out because they don't realize it can be done in the privacy of one's own home.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but you stated as if you can only exercise by going to a gym, which is untrue. Many people are deterred from working out because they don't realize it can be done in the privacy of one's own home.

I guess how it was expressed didn't come out how I intended.

I said, "even exercising can bring out anxieties". Not to say that it does 100% of the time, but that it can.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said, "even exercising can bring out anxieties". Not to say that it does 100% of the time, but that it can.

But then you reference going to a gym, without mentioning any alternatives. Regardless of intent, this may give people a negative impression about exercise.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 37
thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

No, just kidding.
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 37
If I'm depressed, I often exercise and it makes me feel so much better. Exercise may not be a cure all, but it definitely can't hurt.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being fat , or indeed healty has no relevence if you're happy or depressed. You can be fat, happy and outgoing and healthy but depressed.

This isnt about depression, this is about being overly introvert and lacking confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back