Make your own custom IEM's
Aug 29, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 17
Hmm I wouldn't do a few things the way he did it but it seems like a cool idea. It would suck if the earbud thing solidified in the stalk of the IEM and didn't come out...

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 17
How to make your own custom iems:

1. Use a hot glue gun to squirt hot glue into ear.
2. Quickly insert iem of choice into ear while still hot. Try not to pass out from the pain.
3. ???????
4. Profit.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 17
     Quote:
How to make your own custom iems:

1. Use a hot glue gun to squirt hot glue into ear.
2. Quickly insert iem of choice into ear while still hot. Try not to pass out from the pain.
3. ???????
4. Profit.

Lol...im not into the DIY headphone and probably never will be! Although I would like to experiment someday...

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 17
I did this not too long ago, and they certainly are comfy, but the material that is used doesn't have anywhere near as good isolation as the rubber fittings do, in turn, making them sound horrible

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I did this not too long ago, and they certainly are comfy, but the material that is used doesn't have anywhere near as good isolation as the rubber fittings do, in turn, making them sound horrible

Did you do it like the video?
I think I am gonna stick them around my IEM first
then put them into my ears.
Would that be a good idea?

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

Yeah, I did almost exactly like the video. I wouldn't stick it around your IEMs first because it wont fit as well in your ear, defeating the purpose of the whole thing. Surprisingly, no blue goopy stiff got into the IEM tube/canal thing.

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 17
You guys can try http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Mold-Silicone-Molding-Casting/dp/B003CHMZXI instead.
Its rubbery, making it more comfortable and 1/2 a pound can make you many many pairs.
The downside is that it is more difficult to make the channel because the material is rubbery and is difficult to drill. You have to improvise a bit according to your IEM to get it right. At least you can afford to make repeated mistakes since half a pound makes a lot.

Idea from http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=11275
You can check out that guy's other attempts at making custom tips

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I wouldn't do this. I've ruined an IEM driver (seized it up) by trying to do exactly this. I'm guessing that it's from moisture in the silicone that evaporates and makes it's way into the IEM as it cures. And not to mention that the IEM will tend to float toward the edge of your ear and not stay in the middle of the molding material while the whole mess is in your ear.

@lazybum: Thanks for the link to the silicone molding material. I've been looking for a larger package of silicone molding material like that.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
I wouldn't do this. I've ruined an IEM driver (seized it up) by trying to do exactly this. I'm guessing that it's from moisture in the silicone that evaporates and makes it's way into the IEM as it cures. And not to mention that the IEM will tend to float toward the edge of your ear and not stay in the middle of the molding material while the whole mess is in your ear.

@lazybum: Thanks for the link to the silicone molding material. I've been looking for a larger package of silicone molding material like that.

So, you think I should do as the video suggest?
I can't cancel my order now.../___\

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
So, you think I should do as the video suggest?
I can't cancel my order now.../___\

You could try it, but I would seal off the sound tube on the IEM with something so that moisture couldn't get into it and ruin the driver. You could try using teflon tape like TopPop did in his custom sleeve creation. And that would prevent the silicone from sticking to the IEM. Silicone likes to stick in corners and small crevices on IEMs.

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
You could try it, but I would seal off the sound tube on the IEM with something so that moisture couldn't get into it and ruin the driver. You could try using teflon tape like TopPop did in his custom sleeve creation. And that would prevent the silicone from sticking to the IEM. Silicone likes to stick in corners and small crevices on IEMs.

Thanks man, that one looks a lot more complicated.

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #15 of 17
You can try getting a pair of unused tips and insert them on the iem inverted and pull back the flange. So you get an extended stem. Then you can fill up the stem with blutack or something.
You'll have to keep the tips on when using your custom tips though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back