major Windows Vista flaws
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 88
In the initial Days..Vista does lot of HDD thrashing...later on it relaxes.

because it defragments data as u use it in realtime so it performs better with time.

oh and checkout Windows 7 beta btw..its freely available

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm first wondering how you got a dual core CPU @ 3GHz as neither Intel or AMD currently support such high frequencies in mobile processors.

Well, I have one that's years old. I have a Pentium 4 Mobile that runs at 3.0 GHz. Enable hyperthreading and Windows tells me I have a dual core 3.0 even though it's one 3.0 GHz processor split in half. 'Course, I doubt it's for sale any more...

Intel Specs

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 88
I've had no real issues with Vista since it was released on my home-built computer. I reinstalled vista and upgraded to SP1 when I upgraded major components in my computer (basically it was all new). I also wiped the Thinkpad I bought this fall clean and installed Vista myself... I never trust OEM preloads.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 88
Just got Amd core+2 it is for my wife. The best thing I did was have Vista wiped and XP Pro put on. There are a few driver issues but all and all after ccleaner ran it's fast and smooth. I use a mac.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have one that's years old. I have a Pentium 4 Mobile that runs at 3.0 GHz. Enable hyperthreading and Windows tells me I have a dual core 3.0 even though it's one 3.0 GHz processor split in half. 'Course, I doubt it's for sale any more...

Intel Specs

But it's not dual core. That just has to do with threads, not cores. Two totally different things.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #21 of 88
I help someone choose a labtop, in the end they wanted the HP with vista instead of my recommended Acer with XP. It's their money, but I must say holy hell the hp with preisntalled vista is the slowest thing I ever experienced, it took two hours to even uninstall craps and set things up, it seem as if the hdd was running at only 1000rpm.

I was hoping labtop would get cheaper so I can afford one, but I was wrong, that's not the trend of company profitsm it seem like the business model is put alot of power and crap into it and keep the price high.

I am installing windows 7 beta though, I'm pretty optimistic about that. I think once windows 7 come out vista will just be forgotten. It would make more sense to go from xp directly to windows 7, skip vista.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this relevant?

My thoughts exactly. I love OS X but I love Vista just as much. They're good at different things IMO.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 88
Solution: Go to a folder with music on it, and set it the way you want; views, folder options, columns viewable, icon size, etc. then hit alt, go into folder options, and then the second tab, hit "apply to all folders" which will apply your current view settings to all music folders.

As for UAC (not uam), disabling it is a big security risk, and will also break programs; use Disable annoying Vista UAC popups with TweakUAC (FREE) in quiet mode as well.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it's not dual core. That just has to do with threads, not cores. Two totally different things.

I think you missed the point of my post. The hyperthreading makes one processor appear to be two processors. The split Pentium 4M appears exactly the same from the interface, task manager has graphs for two CPUs, device manager shows two 3 GHz processors installed, etc. The apparent processors installed are the same.

Admittedly, the technology underneath is markedly different but that is not obvious to the casual observer.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 88
I think Vista sucks as much as the person using it wants it to. Much as OSX is as good as the person using it wants it to be..

It's all rather silly an pointless sniping and making digs at the competition.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 88
Quote:

I think Vista sucks as much as the person using it wants it to. Much as OSX is as good as the person using it wants it to be..

It's all rather silly an pointless sniping and making digs at the competition.

Quite correct. It's like headphones. The user's enjoyment of them is purely subjective. With headphones it doesn't matter what other people's opinions are when they're on your head. With OS's it doesn't matter when it's your hands on the keyboard/mouse. Can't say that any of them I've tried haven't made me mad enough that I needed to vent at some point in their use.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 88
Sorry about the "UAM"/UAC confusion. User Account Control and User Account Management sound/mean pretty much the same thing to me. Plus I work in the UAM department at work so I guess that acronym just stuck more in my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

I know that UAC is pretty easy to disable, but my point is why have it to begin with? It doesn't make you safer, and bothers even n00bs and the computer illiterate. Trust me, I know this from experience-- I have worked at several major telecomm companies doing tech support / customer service, and ALL of our callers hated UAC. All of them.

"Are you sure you want to go to the Control Panel? OK. Wait, now that you confirmed that you want to do this, Windows still needs your permission to continue." It's a ridiculous illusion of security that just wastes mouse clicks and sanity.

Interesting the bit above about how disabling UAC completely will cause issues. Go figure
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing you should do when buying a new computer is getting rid of the bloatware (or if possible, do a clean re-install of the OS).

Unfortunately, since it's my GF's PC I can't do that. She wants to keep what's on there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then update to the latest service pack/drivers/etc.

Done. I should double-check on the video card drivers, though. Thanks for reminding me
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's one thing everybody should know, it's that they should not form strong opinions of any OS based off of pre-built/pre-loaded computers.

My opinions were formed long before this specific experience my friend. I need to find my "Why vista?" thread on another PC forum. I will post the link here once i've located it. In that thread, there was a pretty good discussion about the Pros&Cons of Vista, and you may be interested to know that feedback from a handful of MS MVP's was that they hated Vista and won't touch it.

EDIT: Ah! Here we go. Thank goodness for Gmail's search function
smily_headphones1.gif
Why Vista? I have changed some of my opinions in this thread since then, and I admit now that some of them are/were n00b-ish (the Search function from the Start bar is indeed bad@ss), but i still think it's a pretty good thread on the pros and cons of Vista from those that have been there/done that, and trying to get real answers instead of just "Vista FTW" or "Vista FTL".

Quote:

I think Vista sucks as much as the person using it wants it to. Much as OSX is as good as the person using it wants it to be.. It's all rather silly an pointless sniping and making digs at the competition.

Not sure how this is relevant... I have had myriad issues with clean installs and not-clean installs of Vista on various systems, a literal laundry list of issues. I am not an anti-fanboy but have built my opinions based on experiences, both positive and negative. I suppose I had some apprehension based on what i'd heard about it during Beta stages, etc., etc., but once I started using it, that is what really began to form my opinions of this OS. Amongst other things about the functionality and design of the OS itself, is that the majority of my programs i've tried to use on Vista systems don't work (at ALL, even with Comptability Mode in various settings), and the ridiculous jump in required hardware. Weigh the increased hardware requirements (i.e. more money spent on your new system) versus the gained functionality, and sticking with XP just makes sense to me financially.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #28 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's your core temp running 2 prime95? and what's your VID?

i googled prime95, hmm i may give it a go

core 0 and 1 are both at 59 when idle

VID? whats that?

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 88
This is probably because of my lack of sleep for past few days, but I really feel indifferent about this Vista bashing right now.

Vista is just another OS. Many people aren't forced to use the darn thing; either you like it, see if it'll grow on you, or you dislike it for whatever reason. I've started from Windows 98, to XP, to Vista, and I've dabbled in Windows 7. Obviously, Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, but by many standards, Vista is a standard OS. Heck, from what I recall, Apple had some troubling bugs/glitches with its latest update to Leopard, but they were patched up, and all was fine. Vista had some flaws, and people blew it out of proportion, even trying to say they still exist after they've been patched (~SP1). Vista is unfairly being picked on (did you guys see the Mojave Experiment? Horrible prejudices...), and it does no good to join the Vista bashwagon when there is obvious proof that people who know what they are doing with it have no problems with it.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i googled prime95, hmm i may give it a go

core 0 and 1 are both at 59 when idle

VID? whats that?

You never have overclocked before, have you?
tongue.gif

BTW, those temps are kind of worrisome. Check into blowing out the dust of your comp, or buy an aftermarket cooler and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back