major static
Dec 19, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 23
Sorry, you need to use the headphone jack out of your PC (your PC has a headphone output right?) - then into your amp on the back where the DAC normally goes in.
No need to apologize. Like I said, I’m not tech savvy even on the basics. I “truly” appreciate the time your spending helping me out. Very cool. Same with nordkapp.
The HP output on the PC tower is only 3.5 mm. Even with my ignorance this doesn’t seem to be the norm. I didn’t know there was an RCA cable with a 3.5 mm end.
I basically get what you’re saying, it’s just the RCA cable issue. I guess I can get an adapter for the RCA but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose since I introduced that adapter into the chain?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #17 of 23
I'm betting it's an overheating problem with the PC. Like I said I had the same problem, all sorts of screeching and static till I got ride of the heat and improved the ventilation around the PC. Your pc is likely drawing in the heat from the DVR.
That also makes sense. My issue is there’s no way for me to reposition all my gear where the DVR isn’t sitting on top of the tower. Yes, I have a tower instead of a desktop.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 23
No need to apologize. Like I said, I’m not tech savvy even on the basics. I “truly” appreciate the time your spending helping me out. Very cool. Same with nordkapp.
The HP output on the PC tower is only 3.5 mm. Even with my ignorance this doesn’t seem to be the norm. I didn’t know there was an RCA cable with a 3.5 mm end.
I basically get what you’re saying, it’s just the RCA cable issue. I guess I can get an adapter for the RCA but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose since I introduced that adapter into the chain?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9768

With that you can then bypass the Mimby and see if that is the cause of the problem, or whether it is your amp.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 23
That also makes sense. My issue is there’s no way for me to reposition all my gear where the DVR isn’t sitting on top of the tower. Yes, I have a tower instead of a desktop.
Well usually things vent from the top so if your dvr is above your tower, the pc shouldn't be taking air in from above. Most pc's are designed to intake from the front and bottom, and exhaust out the rear and top. Since heat rises, this is the most logical design, and would lead me to believe that overheating isn't your problem

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 23
I was running into this issue as well, horrible static when moving the mouse, bad static in general. I followed the advice regarding the ground loop, and it helped substantially. I plugged in my headphone amplifier power (La Figaro 339) into a separate wall outlet to test, I just ran an extension cord to a powerstrip and plugged my power cables from the amp into that. Prior to that I just had my amp plugged into my PC Battery backup power. This made a huge difference. It's not perfect, but static has been reduced by 90% I'd say, hardly noticeable. I'm way happier in the meantime and at least identified the source of the problem, ie ground loop. Thanks for that suggestion and hope OP finds success.

My setup: PC Onboard sound ->Schiit Modi->La Figaro 339 -> HD650

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 23
Is this static or hum? Sorry didn’t read all of the thread.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 23
I was running into this issue as well, horrible static when moving the mouse, bad static in general. I followed the advice regarding the ground loop, and it helped substantially. I plugged in my headphone amplifier power (La Figaro 339) into a separate wall outlet to test, I just ran an extension cord to a powerstrip and plugged my power cables from the amp into that. Prior to that I just had my amp plugged into my PC Battery backup power. This made a huge difference. It's not perfect, but static has been reduced by 90% I'd say, hardly noticeable. I'm way happier in the meantime and at least identified the source of the problem, ie ground loop. Thanks for that suggestion and hope OP finds success.

My setup: PC Onboard sound ->Schiit Modi->La Figaro 339 -> HD650

Thanks. I’ve been extremely busy with work
and I believe I’ll finally have some downtime tomorrow to troubleshoot what you found to be your issue. Hopefully your issue that was corrected will be my issue.

Is this static or hum? Sorry didn’t read all of the thread.
It’s static/distortion, no hum. Also, I hear a clicking sound each time I manually start another track in Spotify. If I let the music play uninterrupted, no clicks. But if I skip around and start another track, rigjt before the track plays, I hear a click or 2. Another irritant.

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #23 of 23
Good morning,
For everyone who's interested and who was kind enough to assist me, here's what happened.
I literally tore the entire system apart, including PC, swapped power strips, where and what was plugged into the wall instead of powerstrip (s) what components were on what power strip versus the others, USB inputs, cabling, configuration, everything.

I just bit the bullet instead of removing 1 thing at a time, testing, or simply put, blew off the wash/rinse/repeat theory and went for it.
Whatever was causing all the static is now gone so I'm back to being a happy camper with an ear to ear grin on my face.
I also unplugged and completely took the security system DVR out of the chain so that could have been the issue all along. Just need to find a way to get this back up and running.
You guys were great by basically assisting me with all your ideas of what was causing this because it was intolerable!
Much obliged gentleman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back