major static
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

koover

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm at a loss.
PC> USB>MIMBY>SYS>LYR2>JOT
Static on all headphones, both amps, any tube any volume.
I've powered everything off. Powered off Mimby, waited 5 minutes, powered back on. Swapped out USB cables from component to component where applicable. Got another power-strip. Plugged in components into new power strip. Disconnected SYS and tried amps without. Same. Swapped USB inputs into PC. There's also always a clicking when starting up a song initially.
Any idea guys? I can't take it and it's to the point of not even wanting to listen to my system at this point. Lot of money to invest in static. It's absolutely horrid when there's only a piano playing. Intolerable and this just started as far as I have noticed recently. Could this be a bad DAC?
I don't know a sole who has a Mimby let alone into this hobby.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 23
Perhaps it's your windows sound settings. Have you tried WASAPI output instead of the built-in Windows Direct Sound output?

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 23
I'm no expert but maybe its the PC? Have you tried another source? A CD player perhaps with a digital out.

I'm less of an expert then you. What do you mean it could be my PC? I also don't have another source nor know anyone who's even into this hobby to experiment with their gear.

Perhaps it's your windows sound settings. Have you tried WASAPI output instead of the built-in Windows Direct Sound output?

Never thought of that. I'll download tomorrow and give it a shot. A question though. If this just came on, how could it be my sound settings?

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 23
Are you on a windows pc? If so is it windows 7 or newer? Did you properly download the DACS driver and install it properly? If you did all this and you still have the problem then you have a hardware problem with the PC I'm guessing.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 23
Windows 10. Downloaded all Drivers for the Mimby properly. The thing is Ive had the DAC for a good 4 months and it really just started to act up so it must be PC based.
Do you have a “guess” what may be the issue with the PC just to give me a starting point?

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 23
Windows 10. Downloaded all Drivers for the Mimby properly. The thing is Ive had the DAC for a good 4 months and it really just started to act up so it must be PC based.
Do you have a “guess” what may be the issue with the PC just to give me a starting point?
The best bet is to try using WASAPI to see if it's a windows problem or not. That'll bypass the windows output and let you push raw data to the dac without letting windows mess with it

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 23
I'm at a loss.
PC> USB>MIMBY>SYS>LYR2>JOT
Static on all headphones, both amps, any tube any volume.
I've powered everything off. Powered off Mimby, waited 5 minutes, powered back on. Swapped out USB cables from component to component where applicable. Got another power-strip. Plugged in components into new power strip. Disconnected SYS and tried amps without. Same. Swapped USB inputs into PC. There's also always a clicking when starting up a song initially.
Any idea guys? I can't take it and it's to the point of not even wanting to listen to my system at this point. Lot of money to invest in static. It's absolutely horrid when there's only a piano playing. Intolerable and this just started as far as I have noticed recently. Could this be a bad DAC?
I don't know a sole who has a Mimby let alone into this hobby.

I'm surprised no one has asked this... Is your system properly grounded? Also if you could isolate the source of the problem (ie. the amp, DAC, PC), that would also be more helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 23
Make sure your computer is vented properly and not overheating too. No warm running equipment should be too close or under it. I had a problem once similar to yours when my hot running amp was under my laptop.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 23
The best bet is to try using WASAPI to see if it's a windows problem or not. That'll bypass the windows output and let you push raw data to the dac without letting windows mess with it
OK. I'll give that a shot tonight after work.

I'm surprised no one has asked this... Is your system properly grounded? Also if you could isolate the source of the problem (ie. the amp, DAC, PC), that would also be more helpful in diagnosing the problem.
Great call out. Maybe not? I'll check it out

Take the mimby out of the system and run from the headphone output of your pc into your amp, then you will know whats causing it surely?
I don't know if I can do that as the audio input on the PC is 3.5 mm. Excuse my ignorance as I'm not that tech savvy and more ignorant then most (embarrssing) but if the audio input is 3.5 mm, how would I do that?

Make sure your computer is vented properly and not overheating too. No warm running equipment should be too close or under it. I had a problem once similar to yours when my hot running amp was under my laptop.
Actually I have a DVR unit for my security system sitting on top of the case blocking at "least" half the airflow. Unfortunately, there's nowhere else for the unit to sit except right there. All the cables are fed into the wall and that's where it's staying. Could that be the culprit or at least maybe enhancing this issue?

Most of this I may not even be able to do until after Christmas due to the business I'm in. No time...literally. If anyone thinks of something else, please pass it on because I'll listen to each response and try it out until this is fixed.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #12 of 23
OK. I'll give that a shot tonight after work.

Great call out. Maybe not? I'll check it out

I don't know if I can do that as the audio input on the PC is 3.5 mm. Excuse my ignorance as I'm not that tech savvy and more ignorant then most (embarrssing) but if the audio input is 3.5 mm, how would I do that?

Actually I have a DVR unit for my security system sitting on top of the case blocking at "least" half the airflow. Unfortunately, there's nowhere else for the unit to sit except right there. All the cables are fed into the wall and that's where it's staying. Could that be the culprit or at least maybe enhancing this issue?

Just use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (3.5mm out of pc, RCA into your headphone amp) and set the volume to 50% on your PC to start off with.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 23
Just use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (3.5mm out of pc, RCA into your headphone amp) and set the volume to 50% on your PC to start off with.

OK don't laugh or roll your eyes, you have to understand who you're dealing with.
So I'll need to buy a 3.5 mm adapter for the RCA cable (that will input into the PC case) then input into the amp with standard 1/4 in, bypassing the DAC?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 23
OK don't laugh or roll your eyes, you have to understand who you're dealing with.
So I'll need to buy a 3.5 mm adapter for the RCA cable (that will input into the PC case) then input into the amp with standard 1/4 in, bypassing the DAC?

Sorry, you need to use the headphone jack out of your PC (your PC has a headphone output right?) - then into your amp on the back where the DAC normally goes in.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm betting it's an overheating problem with the PC. Like I said I had the same problem, all sorts of screeching and static till I got ride of the heat and improved the ventilation around the PC. Your pc is likely drawing in the heat from the DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back