Major dissapointment with new AKG phones
Nov 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 32
I'm pretty late coming into this thread but I'm wonder how much ear padding adds to the bass. Seems to me that an amp would be a bigger contributor to good bass (and of course, a good burn-in too).

I'm a newbie to the audiophile world I just got a pair of AKG k172HD (and Shure SRH440) and I think it needs a good burn-in, but 200 hours seems like a lot.  Do I really have to wait that long?

But I'm noticing the  new SRH440 has much bass than the AKG 172 out of the box.  So would the SRH440 also need a good burn-in too?  Hope someone can help.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 32
poor pad seal can lose you up to 10 db of bass.  Assuming it is pleather that is. Velours no idea.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 32
As almost everyone wrote, try burn in. If you want to be thorough, give it 100 hours at a little louder than normal volume using music that has some bass and pink noise files. Ask the store about their floor model, source, equalization, &c. If after everything you really want their floor model, ask them to sell it to you. I hope it works out.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #19 of 32
Thanks for you advice.  Just have to be patient and keep up with the burn in time (....but I want good now now! just complaining.)

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #21 of 32
100 hours, and now 200 hours,....this doubles up my impatience. Thats like 2 months out of my life.

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #22 of 32
If your willing to try burning them in, to speed up the time, leave them playing music on a computer every night or for a week straight. Set the volume to a bit louder than you find comfortable. The bass should reach their full potentials in 24-48hrs. The rest of sound will mature over the rest of the time and may be good enough you can just use them until then.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #23 of 32
100 hours, and now 200 hours,....this doubles up my impatience. Thats like 2 months out of my life.

The first change I've notice with my K702 was after 80 hr, and the last chance was around 200+ hr. Anyway, if this will not chance the sound just go to the shop and offer the owner your hps and some cash for his old demo model.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #24 of 32
Still trying to slow-burn my k171 listening to them 3-4 hours a night. will let know if it changes any. but just added a Fii0 E6 amp and its helped the sound immensely.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #25 of 32
Do yiu think the made in austria oldies would sound better than the newer ones made in China?

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #26 of 32
Do yiu think the made in austria oldies would sound better than the newer ones made in China?

No. You seem fixated on place of production but you are barking up the wrong tree.

Manufacturing processes of consumer electronics end-products (as opposed to OEM sub-components) are pretty standardised and quality is more related to price point and amount of technology spent in setting up the manufacturing, and not so much on the location.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #27 of 32
Manufacturing processes of consumer electronics end-products (as opposed to OEM sub-components) are pretty standardised and quality is more related to price point and amount of technology spent in setting up the manufacturing, and not so much on the location.

That sounds reasonable, but I'm also quite sure that the labor laws and other aspects of the country of origin effect the quality.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #28 of 32

That sounds reasonable, but I'm also quite sure that the labor laws and other aspects of the country of origin effect the quality.

Not as much as you might expect.

When manufacturing plants are outsourced by companies with existing manufacturing knowhow, they know how to set up manufacturing processes, establish training/skill requirements, etc. Labor laws affect a bunch of other things, but not manufacturing quality as much. Esp. when a lot of final electronic component manufacturing is (a) mostly automated and (b) primarily sub-component assembly.

Problems arise when people with no manufacturing knowhow suddenly decide to outsource their design to an inexpensive manufacturing house, which may or may not have the expertise initially. Those problems rarely arise when established manufacturers move their factories to developing countries.

I used to consult in this field a while back, so I have some passing knowledge of this. That being said, I cannot speak for headphone manufacturing, but I'd be very, very surprised if a company like AKG messed up their outsourcing this badly.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #29 of 32

Do you think the made in austria oldies would sound better than the newer ones made in China?

No. You seem fixated on place of production but you are barking up the wrong tree.

I walked into a store today and saw some AKG K142 HD. I'm tempted to get another set but these ones are semi-open (rather than closed K172).  They had mostly "made in China" new ones, but also had one new "made in Austria".  I tried on both, expecting them to both sound the same, but the "made in austria" set sounded better. I'm thinking about going back to the store tomorrow to get the austrian-made set.  I might even ask them for the demo model (made in austria) because it sounded awesome. It was likely already fully burned in.

I wouldn't doubt Chinese manufacturing is on par with origin of country producers, but people will still get the impression that outsourced manufacturers are not up to par.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #30 of 32
I wouldn't doubt Chinese manufacturing is on par with origin of country producers, but people will still get the impression that outsourced manufacturers are not up to par

Sure, and to an extent, it is understandable.  

A lot of stuff in China is being made to a price point.  And the advent of massive construction there has both good sides (it makes it easy for an entrepreneur in the US, for example, to start manufacturing products - something which wouldnt happen nearly as easily with manufacturing in the US) and there are bad sides (inexperienced entrepreneurs, built-to-a-price-point often equals QC problems).

Japan had the same reputation in the 60s - it was perceived as crap.
Then Korea/Taiwan has the same rep in the 80s.
And now China is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back