Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Feb 6, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #211 of 3,718
Well, here's a question for you with a background in listening to different versions of the 6th.

Just got Barbirolli's. Listening on my Senn 650's and, in the left channel, there is an intermittent sound like someone is snoring or, at the very least, breathing heavily near the mike.

I worried that something was going wrong with my headphones/amp, but put on a couple of other CD's and didn't experience the problem.

Anyone else experience this??? Is the CD perhaps defective or does this exist on all of the discs for this recording? Sure hope it's not a defective disc because I ordered it from Germany.

Then again, maybe nobody here owns this particular recording of the 6th. Just wondering.

Feb 6, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #213 of 3,718
yesterday on a whim i picked up a copy of lopez-cobo's reading of the mahler 10th (mezzti jr ver.2) by telarc.

all i can say is

Wow.
wink.gif

a fantastic disc whatever way you look at it. recording wise, if all dsd recordings sound this good, i'm all for dsd.
biggrin.gif
this is the best recorded disc in my collection now. well, maybe only till my litton/delos sacd 2nd arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

interpretation wise, this disk is very very interesting. this is the first time i've come across a mazzeti completion of mahler's tenth. in case you're wondering, amongst the flood of recordings scored by cooke i've only come across one other version, by wheeler.

i dont know, but mazzeti's version just seems so much.. like mahler. more so than cooke's imo (i own a rattle 10th). when a fortissimo dissonant chord is voiced by the brass to break up the plangent melody carried by the strings, whenever the ghostly percussion comes in, the long buildup, i could only sigh and say to myself, wow, mahler.

and a bit OT, but i discovered an interesting function on my zen xtra today - speeding up/slowing down of the tempo without a change in pitch. i can go up to 1.5x faster and iirc 1.25x slower.

dont want an adagio? andante it! prefer your sehr langsam just plain langsam? heh. now, depending on how you lean, no one will ever again complain abt toscanini or furtwangler's tempos..
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #214 of 3,718
Danaa
Never heard the Barbirolli/Testament Mahler 6, but that label specializes in digging up hard to find recordings so sound quality may not always be the best.

Adhoc
Are you using SACD playback when describing sound of Lopez-Cobos/Telarc Mahler 10? Someday I will have to get SACD player if more quality releases become available.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #215 of 3,718
Adhoc, let us know how that SACD is, I've been dying to pick up some classical on SACD, but want to make sure it's a quality release first.

I have Conlon doing Mahlers 5th sitting here, I may spin it up today.

Scott

Feb 6, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #216 of 3,718
Thanks Dark Angel,

The sound quality is very nice. Funny thing is that, when I played it for my wife to hear, she said it sounds like a bug is buzzing around the mike. Luckily, it doesn't happen much during the recording, which I love.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #217 of 3,718
Is anyone else going to the concert of Mahler's seventh, conducted by Alan Gilbert at the Stockholm concert hall on February 14th?

I'm new to Mahler, but very curious after this thread...

Feb 6, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #218 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by erl
Is anyone else going to the concert of Mahler's seventh, conducted by Alan Gilbert at the Stockholm concert hall on February 14th?

I'm new to Mahler, but very curious after this thread...

Stockholm would be a bit of a haul, I would go get a CD (evem a budget CD) see if it's for you. If so, go for it!

Scott

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #220 of 3,718
Some day I'll go to a live performance of, well, SOMETHING. Guess my closest option would be Boston.

Scott

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #221 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Some day I'll go to a live performance of, well, SOMETHING. Guess my closest option would be Boston.

Scott

seems like most of the major orchestras schedule a Mahler concert once a year. Definately make the trip if you find out there's a performance!

-jar

Feb 6, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #224 of 3,718
For the Philly Pholks the Philadelphia Orchestra will be performing Mahler's third symphony February 19-23

EDIT: I just looked into going and tickets are $110!
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #225 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
For the Philly Pholks the Philadelphia Orchestra will be performing Mahler's third symphony February 19-23
EDIT: I just looked into going and tickets are $110!
frown.gif

OMG........in Cincinnati tickets for Pavo Jarvi & CSO go for
$30-50 performed at very nice sounding Music Hall. $50 will get you best seats in the house other than reserved boxes.

(no Mahler scheduled in the near future however)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back