Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Feb 6, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #226 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
For the Philly Pholks the Philadelphia Orchestra will be performing Mahler's third symphony February 19-23

EDIT: I just looked into going and tickets are $110!
frown.gif

$110 ??? that's the cheapest?? The cheapest in Cleveland at Severance Hall are around $27 for top row balcony.. and I consider THAT expensive. Still sounds pretty nice up there though
wink.gif

-jar

Feb 6, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #227 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
For the Philly Pholks the Philadelphia Orchestra will be performing Mahler's third symphony February 19-23

EDIT: I just looked into going and tickets are $110!
frown.gif

oh wow it's Eschenbach conducting.. I heard him conduct Mahler's 5th with the Cleveland orchestra a few years back.. it was a pretty amazing performance. I would be very interested to hear what he does with the 3rd..

-jar

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #228 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Adhoc
Are you using SACD playback when describing sound of Lopez-Cobos/Telarc Mahler 10? Someday I will have to get SACD player if more quality releases become available. [/B]

no. the disc is a normal redbook cd that was recorded using dsd technology.

i used to be an extreme skeptic on dsd, but it seems that i've been wholly converted by the sheer quality of the recordings (that were recorded in dsd) that i've heard. the dsd recording was downmixed to normal pcm using sony's superbit technology (iirc). this is mentioned in the included liner notes.

i am not aware if there is a sacd release of this disc. it should be possible though.
wink.gif

i am saving for a sacd player, but any interim period sacd listening will be conducted using a pair of er-4s and a friend's sacd player.

Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Adhoc, let us know how that SACD is, I've been dying to pick up some classical on SACD, but want to make sure it's a quality release first.

Scott

you are speaking of the litton/delos 2nd? from feedback from people in the know the already way-above-average sense of space and detail are filled out even more. i cannot comment anymore till i receive the disc.

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #229 of 3,718
Just purchased used Litton/Delos Mahler 3 to go with his Mahler 2
at Amazon.........$7.40
biggrin.gif

Mahler 3 collection now looks like this:

Horenstein/Unicorn
Bernstein/Sony (complete set)
Rattle/EMI
Salonen/Sony
Solti/London (complete set)
+
Litton/Delos

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #230 of 3,718
Well my wife and I are seriously talking about going to see the Mahler/Mozart performance in Boston. Need to get familiar with Mahlers 1st now, probably grab the Bernstein CD.

Scott

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #231 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
no. the disc is a normal redbook cd that was recorded using dsd technology.

i used to be an extreme skeptic on dsd, but it seems that i've been wholly converted by the sheer quality of the recordings (that were recorded in dsd) that i've heard. the dsd recording was downmixed to normal pcm using sony's superbit technology (iirc). this is mentioned in the included liner notes.

i am not aware if there is a sacd release of this disc. it should be possible though.
wink.gif

i am saving for a sacd player, but any interim period sacd listening will be conducted using a pair of er-4s and a friend's sacd player.

you are speaking of the litton/delos 2nd? from feedback from people in the know the already way-above-average sense of space and detail are filled out even more. i cannot comment anymore till i receive the disc.

Well I own a SACD player and have a few discs, and they just have such a natural sound to them. Though I think at times the multichannel mixes can be hit or miss. Most studio people are used to working with stereo. Though the Dark Side of the Moon SACD is great on multichannel.

Scott

Scott

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #233 of 3,718
My Mahler cycle is nearing completion now, with a couple to be shipped and the arrival of the Lopez-Cobos/Cincinatti Symphony versions of the 9th and 10th.

I really tried to like the version of the 9th I own, Bernsteins, but it somehow almost seemed too unrelenting in its emotional assault. The Lopez-Cobos seems more searching in its nature. I'm certainly not the expert here, but I much, much prefer Lopez-Cobos's interpretation and it is sonically the superior too.

As far as the 10th, I've still got to listen to it a couple of more times and I've never heard any version of it so I can't compare it with how other orchestras/composers have decided to cope with its unfinished nature, but, thus far, I absolutely love the Remo Mazzetti revision and the Cincinatti Symphony's performance. Once again, very nice recording quality.

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #234 of 3,718
i think in all the time i've spent in head-fi, this is the most informative and useful thread i've come across.

for those who have taken the effort to read through the entire 16pages or so this thread has blossomed into, i entered this thread with no idea whatsoever who mahler was and what his music was like.

now, i have an-almost complete cycle (awating shipping of szell's fourth and a yet-to-be-decided 7th) and am a devoted mahlerian.

thank you, everyone.
etysmile.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #235 of 3,718
adhoc,

Join the club...now I am probably going to see a live performance of Mahlers 1st.

Scott

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #236 of 3,718
darkangel,

could you pm me your email address?

i need to ask you some questions on music (beethoven's string quartets) unrelated to this thread.

thanks.

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #237 of 3,718
Adhoc
I unfortunately own no:
-trios
-quartets
-quintets
-sextets
-very few violin concertos
-opera

So I am no help to anyone in these areas. I concentrate on symphony & large orchestral works, piano concertos and ballet music.
cool.gif

I have seen threads here recently talking about Beethoven quartets.......try doing search to see if it can be located.

Did I Hear You Need Mahler 7?
Grab the Abbado/DG Masters version, mid price on 1CD and one of the better performances available. Amazon has a couple used copies for $4, not definitive version but good place to start :

Abbado

(Wonder if Scott will grab one of these, he he)

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #238 of 3,718
Quote:

Adhoc
I unfortunately own no:
-trios
-quartets
-quintets
-sextets
-very few violin concertos
-opera

So I am no help to anyone in these areas. I concentrate on symphony & large orchestral works, piano concertos and ballet music.
cool.gif

Interesting, I'm almost the same way.. while there are several Piano Concertos I enjoy, I'm not a huge fan of concertos in general.. too many personalities involved I guess. I would say I prefer solo music to concertos.

But like you, I've always gravitated towards symphonies, orchestral works, ballet music, tone poems, and the like. Though because of my love of Mahler, I do enjoy some classical song cycles, though very little opera. Schubert's "Die Schoene Mullerin" is very nice. Of course, I love "Carmina Burana" (The Tavern Section is the best).

I do like to hear quartets on occasion. The Shostokovich and Bartok quartets are pretty amazing.

But overall, yea, big orchestral stuff. Big Bruckner, Big Mahler, Big Shostokovich and Rachmaninoff and Bartok and Walton and Elgar and Vaughn Williams.. ahhh.

Have you heard Schoenberg's GURRE-LIEDER? It was composed by Schoenberg before his jump to atonalism, and it's very Mahlerian in spots. It's not so much an opera as a big song cycle, but it's operatic in it's scope. There's really not another work quite like it. I have the Kubelik DG recording.

Another piece I wanted to mention was John Adams' HARMONIELEHERE. If you're familiar with Adams' work you'll have a good idea of what it sounds like, but the cool thing is that he throws in these neo-romantic parts that sound right out of Mahler and Sibelius. Not total rip-offs, but you almost get this feeling of time travel listening to this work. One of my favorite 20th Century compositions.

-jar

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #239 of 3,718
Quote:

Did I Hear You Need Mahler 7?
Grab the Abbado/DG Masters version, mid price on 1CD and one of the better performances available. Amazon has a couple used copies for $4, not definitive version but good place to start :

Abbado

(Wonder if Scott will grab one of these, he he) [/B]

Damn you man, haven't you made me buy enough CDs!
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I want to grab some nice performances of the 1st, since thats the one I am going to see.

Scott

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #240 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Damn you man, haven't you made me buy enough CDs!
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I want to grab some nice performances of the 1st, since thats the one I am going to see.
Scott

I believe I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but there is excellent Bernstein/DG 2CD mid price set with Mahler 1 & 5 symphonies, both of these are near definitive performances that every Mahler collection must have:

Mahler 1 & 5

MJ
Also own no Schoenberg or similar atonal composers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back