Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Feb 5, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #196 of 3,718
Otakuboy
The Bernstein/DG Mahler 1 is also my of my top 3 choices for that work, Lennie.................
cool.gif

Are you a musician are just scholar of music? I am not musician so can't discuss music in detail, but for Mahler 5 this is my current collection:

Baribolli/EMI GROTC
Abbado/DG (newest BPO)
Bernstein/DG
Inbal/Dennon
Karajan/DG
Solti/London

There are some new versions that have tempted me, but have not pulled the trigger on yet, what versions do you find most compelling..........any insight you wish to share from your research?

Feb 5, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #197 of 3,718
My main area of expertise is Mahler 5 as I am writting my masters thesis about it currently.

That's awesome! I was a music major in college but unfortunately didn't actually get to study Mahler much in the classes I took. Most of what I know I've learned on my own. One of the professors in my department had written a book on the Mahler 2nd (Stephen Hefling at Case Western).

I think one of my favorite aspects of the 5th is how he took one of the tunes from the 4th movement and recycled it for the 5th movement, except it's twice as fast. Brilliant. He did a similar thing, but in reverse, with the 3rd and 4th movements of the 9th. Well, actually Mahler recycled his own music throughout his composing career, we all know that, but my favorite has to be the 5th.. oh and there's also the "kleine appel" section from the 2nd movement of the 4th symphony that forshadows the trumpet in the open bars of the 5th..

-jar

Feb 5, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #198 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Otakuboy
The Bernstein/DG Mahler 1 is also my of my top 3 choices for that work, Lennie.................
cool.gif

Are you a musician are just scholar of music? I am not musician so can't discuss music in detail, but for Mahler 5 this is my current collection:

Baribolli/EMI GROTC
Abbado/DG (newest BPO)
Bernstein/DG
Inbal/Dennon
Karajan/DG

There are some new versions that have tempted me, but have not pulled the trigger on yet, what versions do you find most compelling..........any insight you wish to share from your research?

I'd be curious to know what you thought of Sinopoli's DG 80's recording if you happened to track it down, I'm not sure if it's even in print, but it's unlike any performance I've heard..

oh here's the short list of my 5ths:

James Levine/Chicago Symphony/RCA
Joel Levi/Atlanta Symphony/Telarc
Erich Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony/RCA
Guiseppe Sinopoli/Philharmonia Orchestra/DG
Sir Georg Solti/Chicago/London (90's recording)

plus: Maazel/Vienna/CBS (Vinyl w/ 6th).

Feb 5, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #199 of 3,718
Argh so many choices....time to get that second job to get some CD $$
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Feb 5, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #200 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Argh so many choices....time to get that second job to get some CD $$
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

man I'm still paying for cd's I bought in the 90's ..

hey is that Schoenberg there in your avatar? I'm testing myself here..

-jar

Feb 5, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #201 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
man I'm still paying for cd's I bought in the 90's ..

Yikes...Credit Cards can be an evil thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

hey is that Schoenberg there in your avatar? I'm testing myself here..

-jar

Nope.....try again..

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #202 of 3,718
Quote:

I'd be curious to know what you thought of Sinopoli's DG 80's recording if you happened to track it down, I'm not sure if it's even in print, but it's unlike any performance I've heard..

oh here's the short list of my 5ths:

James Levine/Chicago Symphony/RCA
Joel Levi/Atlanta Symphony/Telarc
Erich Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony/RCA
Guiseppe Sinopoli/Philharmonia Orchestra/DG
Sir Georg Solti/Chicago/London (90's recording)

plus: Maazel/Vienna/CBS (Vinyl w/ 6th).

The very good Sinopoli/DG Mahler 5 is still available but it is coupled with Mahler 1 on 2CD set:
Sinopoli

I recently got Levi/Telarc Mahler 2 because of rave reviews by many critics but found it too polished and smoothed over, lacks the energy and power of my favorite versions, the sound is great but overall a disappointment for me. Was wondering does Levi up the energy level at all for 5th?

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #203 of 3,718
Quote:

The very good Sinopoli/DG Mahler 5 is still available but it is coupled with just an average Mahler 1 on 2CD set:
Sinopoli

I recently got Levi/Telarc Mahler 2 because of rave reviews by many critics but found it too polished and smoothed over, lacks the energy and power of my favorite versions, the sound is great but overall a disappointment for me. Was wondering does Levi up the energy level at all for 5th?

your description of the 2nd also fits his performance of the 5th.
wink.gif

-jar

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #204 of 3,718
DA isn't happy unless the final movement of the 2nd knock him across the room
wink.gif

Just kidding.

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #205 of 3,718
Quote:

DA isn't happy unless the final movement of the 2nd knock him across the room
wink.gif

Just kidding.

No you are right.....it is the final apocalypse we are depicting, if a conductor can't pull out all the stops for this and blow you away with the climatic sequence he should give up Mahler conducting, he he.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #206 of 3,718
Quote:

Yikes...Credit Cards can be an evil thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope.....try again..

smily_headphones1.gif

it's ole Sergi right?
wink.gif

my 4 year old daughter just LOVES Peter and the Wolf.. and I just ordered tickets today to take her to hear it with the Cleveland Orchestra! She is going to flip out. It's amazing, she'll sit totally quiet and listen to the whole thing. We can NEVER get her to sit still for that long! She knows all the instruments and what characters they represent. I hope her interest in music continues!

-jar

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #207 of 3,718
Quote:

No you are right.....it is the final apocalypse we are depicting, if a conductor can't pull out all the stops for this and blow you away with the climatic sequence he should give up Mahler conducting, he he.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree, so far I have only hear Klempler's version of the 2nd, but it's quite good. EMI did a fantastic job on those "Great Recordings of the Century" discs, I have a few already and they all sound excellent.

Scott

Feb 5, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #208 of 3,718
Quote:

it's ole Sergi right?
wink.gif

Yup, that's him!

Quote:

my 4 year old daughter just LOVES Peter and the Wolf.. and I just ordered tickets today to take her to hear it with the Cleveland Orchestra! She is going to flip out. It's amazing, she'll sit totally quiet and listen to the whole thing. We can NEVER get her to sit still for that long! She knows all the instruments and what characters they represent. I hope her interest in music continues!

Indeed, may need to get Peter and the Wolf in some form for my son, any good editions (besides Disney) on DVD?

Scott

Feb 5, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #209 of 3,718
Quote:

Yup, that's him!

Indeed, may need to get Peter and the Wolf in some form for my son, any good editions (besides Disney) on DVD?

Scott

we just have a cd (see below) - it's nice, though I might try to get the Sting version sometime... she'll probably *love* a DVD... maybe for her birthday
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

a very nice sounding recording actually..

-jar

Feb 5, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #210 of 3,718
Quote:

we just have a cd (see below) - it's nice, though I might try to get the Sting version sometime... she'll probably *love* a DVD... maybe for her birthday
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

a very nice sounding recording actually..

-jar

Hmm will check that out, now back to our regularlly scheduled Mahler discussion.

Anyone have favoreite on his song cycles?

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back