Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 28, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #167 of 3,718
Been listening to Klempler/EMI 2nd all day, it's fantastic. I certainly am open to other recording of this, but this one sounds fantastic and the performance is wonderful.

Scott

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #168 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by qwerty870
On the subject of the tenth. Which completed version do you like most?

I have the EMI/Rattle (Cooke), a Naxos/Olson (Wheeler), and a Faberman (Carpenter) completed versions. I keep changing my mind, but i think i like Wheeler's the best (plus it was on Naxos and only $7, but the EMI/rattle/cooke is a better performance and recording)

Just my 2 cents. If anyone knows of any others I'd love to get them. The tenth is my new favorite.

I was thrilled to see a ten page Mahler thread. It would appear that indeed his time has come.

To be honest, I'm only familiar with the Cooke version. Since that Wheeler is on Naxos, I might consider picking it up. But I must stress, if you get the chance to hear a live performance, I'd definately make arrangements to go hear it. I tried to see if anyone ANYWHERE was performing it this year, but just didn't come up with anything. You can find the Wigglesworth performance of the 10th if you search, it was on a free cd that came with BBC Magazine (I don't remember the exact date). Though it's not quite the same as being there, it's a fine performance, though it does have some audience noise (live recording).

-jar

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #169 of 3,718
just picked this up as a gift from myself to myself for my birthday.

yeah, i know it's a strange choice, but i've been feeling quite depressed recently.
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #170 of 3,718
adhoc,

Why is it a strange choice, no such thing in my book, if YOU like it, then that's the recording for you. Let us know what you think. Me, I'm still diggin this Klempler CD right now. I may pick up Szell's 4th next, since it's so darned cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

PS - I know thusfar this thread has been about Mahler's symphonies, what about his other music?

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #172 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrasher
I'm listening to the sound of the computer fan right now. But when I will go to down-town, I will play HOLIER THAN THOU? on my portable! Long live crossover!

Umm and that has what to do with Mahler?

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #173 of 3,718
Scott,

Try Mahler's various song cycles. I especially adore his Ruckert Lieder, but also really like his Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, and Kindertotenlieder. There's also his Des Knaben Wunderhorn cycle, as well as his earlier Das klagende Lied. Someone else mentioned his Das Lied von der Erde song symphony as well. There are some who view Mahler as a song composer, even when he was writing his symphonies, so it's always interesting to hear his song cycles. Many of his early symphonies, 1, 2, 3, and 4, drew material from his Wunderhorn and other song cycles.

There's a good, midpriced Telarc recording of Ruckert, KTL, and LefG that's a nice starting point with Jesus Lopez-Cobos conducting the Cincinnati Symphony, and Andreas Schmidt as the bass-baritone. Many of Mahler's songs also have piano accompaniment instead of the orchestra, and there are many fine recordings of these pieces out there as well. I like the Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau/Leonard Bernstein (playing piano) series on Sony Classical, as well as the unfortunately out-of-print Thomas Hampson series from EMI and Teldec. For DlvdE, the previously mentioned Oue recording from Reference Recordings is excellent. I also like Bernstein/King/DF-D with the Vienna PO recording remastered on Decca Legends.

I have a clear bias towards male Mahler singers, but there are many good female singers as well, and once again, it's a matter of preference and with which performer you initially imprinted (heard) the piece.

--Andre

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #174 of 3,718
Ok I may need to check this out:

I have yet to be disappointed by the EMI "Great Recodrdings of the Century" discs.

Scott

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #175 of 3,718
scottder,

perhaps i wasnt really clear in my post, but i actually thought that perhaps people would think it strange that one would get a symphony entitled 'tragic' for one's birthday.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #177 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
scottder,

perhaps i wasnt really clear in my post, but i actually thought that perhaps people would think it strange that one would get a symphony entitled 'tragic' for one's birthday.
wink.gif

Oooh, ok
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, happy b-day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #178 of 3,718
The 5th symphony by Maazel is incredible. unfortunatly the recording quality isn't the best, but his interpretation of the piece most certainly is. Plus it was recorded by vienna, the very orchestra that Mahler wrote his symphonies for.

IMHO the only orchestra that can play Mahler is vienna. I justify this by mentioning that vienna plays on different instruments then any other modern orchestra. This is most noticable in the Horn and Trumpet sections, but is also evident throughout the rest of the orchestra.

Jan 30, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #179 of 3,718
Otakuboy,

iirc, coincidentally, that happened to be mahler's orchestra, no?
biggrin.gif

and so far, rattle's 6th has proved to be an immense beautiful piece. rattle chose to take a more expansive, very slightly slower look at the 6th. very nice. top marks for recorded quality too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back