Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 23, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #541 of 3,718
I broke down and paid some money for the Karajan/DG Mahler 9 live recording, however, I did get it used for $18.00. Brahms Jochum 1-3 ordered too, slowly getting caught up with our reference picks.

dshea

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #542 of 3,718
Got used copy of Horenstein/BBC Legends M9 today, a live stereo version and good sound according to my research. This will be added to my other Mahler works by Horenstein:
Horenstein/Unicorn M1
Horenstein/Unicorn M3
Horenstein/BBC Legends M7
Horenstein/EMI Classics for Pleasure M4

I would really like to get that Bernstein/BPO/DG M9 that Scott has, I love my Bernstein/Sony M9 (just listened to it) but need to branch out a bit first.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #543 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I would really like to get that Bernstein/BPO/DG M9 that Scott has, I love my Bernstein/Sony M9 (just listened to it) but need to branch out a bit first.

DA covets something in MY collection, that's a switch!
wink.gif

Will be giving it a listen soon.

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #545 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origen
Also received the Tilson-Thomas SACD of M2; initially at least, I prefer Kaplan's SACD of M2.

Must....resist!

I don't mean to dig up this old post, but I have recently acquired Kaplan's M2 on SACD as well. It is absolutely spectacular. scottder, if you haven't got it... GET IT NOW!

I've also finally receive MTT's new M1 & M4. I have spend some time with M4, and have developed a love-hate relationship with it. I quite like it when I play the CD layer (courtesy of my new SACD player
biggrin.gif
), but hate it to the guts when I play the 2-CH SACD layer. It is so freaking bright that some solo parts are distorted. Performance wise it is one of the most energetic I've ever heard, which is why I kept coming back to it.

Oh, and I'm back (from holidays).
580smile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #546 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by saxphile
I don't mean to dig up this old post, but I have recently acquired Kaplan's M2 on SACD as well. It is absolutely spectacular. scottder, if you haven't got it... GET IT NOW!

I've always wondered how his two recordings of the M2 differ, when comapred directly.

Jan 25, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #549 of 3,718
Quote:

I myself don't find MTT's M4 too bright. I haven't listened to the CD layer.
I'll have to listen to some of my other recordings of it again, but it may, just may, be my favorite M4.

Am I the only one who finds the prices being charged for new MTT Mahler discs to be outrageous????? You would think that since the SFO has thier own record label and middleman is cut out prices would actually be cheaper than major lablels..........I will boycott new purchases just on principle and patiently wait for reasonable priced used versions to appear.

BMG yourmusic.com has the new 2CD Kaplan/VPO/DG M2 for $11.98, I may get this just to compare to original Kaplan/Conifer and could always sell used for no loss on Amazon (goes for $15 used now). I have read some minor critique that despite great sound new version has "toned down" closing and less overall drama compared to original.......this is not good for my taste in Mahler, but have not heard myself and can make no value judgement at this time.

TAS (the absolute sound) magazine has given the Gielen/Hannsler Mahler complete symphony set award for best classical box set 2004.........I have my eye on this but very hard to find domestically. Also gave award to Handley/Chandos Bax complete symphony set.

Jan 25, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #550 of 3,718
Quote:

Am I the only one who finds the prices being charged for new MTT Mahler discs to be outrageous????? You would think that since the SFO has thier own record label and middleman is cut out prices would actually be cheaper than major lablels..........I will boycott new purchases just on principle and patiently wait for reasonable priced used versions to appear.

Yes, I too have "kept away" because of the price. Despite hearing great things (about some of them anyway), the price is just steep. If Szell's 4th was put on SACD, I pay a premium for that, but it has a special place for me.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #551 of 3,718
Quote:

BMG yourmusic.com has the new 2CD Kaplan/VPO/DG M2 for $11.98, I may get this just to compare to original Kaplan/Conifer and could always sell used for no loss on Amazon (goes for $15 used now). I have read some minor critique that despite great sound new version has "toned down" closing and less overall drama compared to original.......this is not good for my taste in Mahler, but have not heard myself and can make no value judgement at this time.

TAS (the absolute sound) magazine has given the Gielen/Hannsler Mahler complete symphony set award for best classical box set 2004.........I have my eye on this but very hard to find domestically. Also gave award to Handley/Chandos Bax complete symphony set.

Oooo, the Bax complete symphony set sounds intriguing. I can't tell you how many times I have been up late, turned on the classical music radio station to hear glorious music that I was not familiar with. This has happened a half dozen times or so over the years, and I was always surprised when it was a tone poem or symphony of Arnold Bax. I performed his Clarinet Sonata several times this past Fall, a great gem.

DA, no you are not alone in objecting to the high prices of MTT's recordings. Perhaps they are going for the "if it costs more, it must be better" marketing approach. If they can pull this off, more power to them, but they will not get my business. Especially when their is a budget version of M4 with Szell/Cleveland that I rather fancy, in case you all didn't know.
600smile.gif

dshea

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #552 of 3,718
Welcome back Saxphile!!

No need to apologize for thinking this an old thread. The thing should be stickied for eternity.

dshea

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #553 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Welcome back Saxphile!!

No need to apologize for thinking this an old thread. The thing should be stickied for eternity.

dshea

If we kepe it active it won't need a sticky
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #554 of 3,718
I'm sure the MTT releases are relatively expensive because the costs involved are tremendous. Recording symphony orchestras in the US is so expensive that it is rarely done. I don't know what the union scale is and the royalty structure, but it is high enough to keep it from happening very often.

I don't know what arrangements Telarc has, but I would guess they have some kind of contract with greatly reduced rates.

Even with the prices of the MTT discs, there are still wealthy patrons involved, so sponsoring is necessary.

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #555 of 3,718
Quote:

I'm sure the MTT releases are relatively expensive because the costs involved are tremendous. Recording symphony orchestras in the US is so expensive that it is rarely done. I don't know what the union scale is and the royalty structure, but it is high enough to keep it from happening very often.

I don't know what arrangements Telarc has, but I would guess they have some kind of contract with greatly reduced rates.
Even with the prices of the MTT discs, there are still wealthy patrons involved, so sponsoring is necessary.

Just for example compare retail price of Mahler 4 according to Amazon:
MTT/SFSO - $25.98 (hybrid)
Zander/Telarc - $17.98
Bernstein/DG - $16.98
Renier/RCA - $11.98
Szell/Sony - $7.99
Wit/Naxos - $6.98

Price just seems excessive for MTT
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back