Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 21, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #526 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
To tide you over in the mean time you could settle for the Karajan/DG studio version at mid price, but I would say better selection is the newest Abbado/DG M9, live 2002 recording also with BPO on single CD. This is possibly best of Abbado's new Mahler series and can be purchased used at Amazon for under $10.

I listened to Abbado's 1988 recording of M9, first movement last night. It's been a very long time since I've given this peformance a good listen. For the most part, I really enjoy his interpretation. My main problems are with the recording. The cover says it's a "Live" recording, but it doesn't give much more info than that. The recording overall, I would describe as incoherent, and somewhat claustrophobic, the perspective almost sounds as if one is sitting right in the middle of the front row. Which isn't normally all bad, but the sense of space is really missing here. The instruments sound fine, but they seem to lack some space. It would be interesting to hear the difference between this one and his newer one. Another thing is that I can hear edits. I think there are a lot of edits here between the main live recording and "corrections" recorded later that were spliced in. I know everyone does it, but I don't think the editor did all that great of a job here. But, in the end, Mahler shines through and I had a very nice time listening. The flute solo at the end of the movement is very lovely here, as are the final closing moments of the movement. It's definately a recording I'm never going to let go of (it was a present from two of my best friends for my 19th birthday), but it does have its flaws. Hopefully soon I can get through the rest of the performance. After this movement, I listenened to Simon Rattle and the City of Birmingham orchestra create a little magic with the Bruckner 7th. Not as much magic as Karajan or Matacic, but still, very fine, if somewhat over dramatic at spots. I guess I should move this part to the Bruckner thread, when time permits.
blink.gif

-jar

Jan 21, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #527 of 3,718
I have it from an impeccable source that the best two M9s are Horenstein/LSO, the mono one first (Music and Arts label), and the stereo one in second place (now on BBC legends label). These were recorded in 1966.

Horenstein also released 1953, 1967, and 1969 versions, which are reportedly not as good.

Jan 22, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #528 of 3,718
Unquestionably *the* best M6 I've heard is Ben Zander's, on Telarc. This is an SACD hybrid, but I think is available as plain CD as well. It also includes a disc of Zander discussing M6, which is fascinating.

Runners-up for M6 that I've heard are Michael Tilson-Thomas and Giuseppe Sinopoli.

Reflecting on it, I think M6 is my favorite piece of music, period.

Jan 22, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #529 of 3,718
I will give my vote for best M10 that I've heard to Mark Wigglesworth. This CD was available only to subscribers to BBCMusic, the magazine that had a CD with every issue. But it does come up every once in a while on eBay. This live recording from 1993 has, I think, the most spectacular dynamic range of any CD in my collection.

Second place would be the Sinopoli.

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #530 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origen
I will give my vote for best M10 that I've heard to Mark Wigglesworth. This CD was available only to subscribers to BBCMusic, the magazine that had a CD with every issue. But it does come up every once in a while on eBay. This live recording from 1993 has, I think, the most spectacular dynamic range of any CD in my collection.

Second place would be the Sinopoli.

I heard Wigglesworth w/ Cleveland Orchestra perform the M10 a few years ago. Absolutely amazing. Probably best concert I've ever attended. I do also have the BBC cd, but I hesitate to listen to it again because I doubt it will live up to the concert.

It's been a very long time since I've heard the Sinopoli 6th, but I do recall it being one of the best I'd heard. Almost metaphysical, if one could use that term to describe the M6.

-jar

Jan 22, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #531 of 3,718
Speaking of cruel punishment for consumers.........as previously mentioned the live Karajan/DG and Bernstein/BPO/DG are very good M9s but paying full price for 2CD version leaves bad taste in my mouth (and wallet).

I would also really like to get Rattle/EMI and Horenstein/BBC Lengends M9s but will not pay full price for 2CD versions, used versions are hard to find so I will patiently wait till the inevitable issue of lower priced back catalog versions some time in the future. (unless reasonable price used version appears)

I think I would really like the Rattle M9 since by all accounts I have read it is extremely energetic performance which is how I like my Mahler.

Jan 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #532 of 3,718
DarkAngel,

Speaking of bargains, I bought the Zander M6, which is three discs, for the price of one. (The third disc being Zander's discussion.) This is a terrific deal made all the more amazing if you wind up feeling, as I do, that Zander's is the very best M6.

Another unique thing about Z's M6 is that the last movement is on the disc twice. Once with the three hammer blows of fate, and once without the third blow. This way you can choose which one you prefer. I find the third hammer blow adds immensely to the work.

Jan 22, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #533 of 3,718
Quote:

Another unique thing about Z's M6 is that the last movement is on the disc twice. Once with the three hammer blows of fate, and once without the third blow. This way you can choose which one you prefer. I find the third hammer blow adds immensely to the work.

A few pages back I talked about the Levi/Telarc M6 and how it almost damaged my speakers with Telarc's extremely overscaled hammer blows.......hopefully the Zander M6 has more realistic lower scale/sound levels for hammer blows, I like excitement but not damaged speakers
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #534 of 3,718
I'm afraid this one's not for you, DarkAngel. The Zander hammer blows are easily the most extreme ever recorded. I love it like that. It's not supposed to sound like someone tapping on your door, you know
wink.gif
This is the sound of a man being felled like a tree, and so the more dramatic the sound, the better.

Jan 22, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #535 of 3,718
Quote:

I'm afraid this one's not for you, DarkAngel. The Zander hammer blows are easily the most extreme ever recorded. I love it like that. It's not supposed to sound like someone tapping on your door, you know
wink.gif
This is the sound of a man being felled like a tree, and so the more dramatic the sound, the better.

Yes I will pass on Zander.........all is not lost picked up used stereo Barbirolli M6, M2 for very good price yesterday, didn't even know Barbirolli had a stereo M2, live performance with Helen Donath vocalist.

M2

M6

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #538 of 3,718
Quote:

How about Solti's aggressive 1970 recording of M5? I like that one a lot.

You don't have to sell me Solti.......I have complete Mahler set by Sir George.

Does Zander have any other recordings besides Mahler?
He looks like older man in Telarc photos, yet I am not aware of any other recordings by him........
confused.gif

(quick check at Amazon shows a few other misc. recordings in addition to his Mahler work for Telarc)

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #539 of 3,718
Truthfully I found the Zander M6 quite lackluster. The interpretation was too constant...nothing stuck out, nothing was extraordinary. Think of whatever your favorite performance of the piece is, then imagine it without the things that are really different that separate it from all the rest. It's not a "wrong" interpretation, just very conservative. Also I wasn't impressed with the playing. It seemed a tad ragged. Not awful, just not up to the level of a first tier orchestra.

To each his own, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back