Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 31, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #571 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Listening to my recent arrival, M6 with Szell/Cleveland. I like it but I was hoping it would blow me away like the 4th. I didn't realize it was a live recording. It is a phenomenal live recording, but I think I would prefer the detail and perfection of a Szell studio recording. I have Solti 6th which I have always liked, I will give that a listen now after hearing Szell.

I might be persuaded to order another 6th if there is another reference recording that is a no brainer. dshea

dshea,

I feel the same way about the Szell/Cleveland M6. It's very good but I prefer the 1978 Karajan, which is the other one I own. Szell is good, but Karajan sends shivers down my spine. I haven't been that crazy about the other Karajan Mahler recordings I've heard (a couple of versions of the ninth) but I think his 6th is particularly good.

I have the Szell/Cleveland box set of Beethoven Symphones and Overtures, which I would *highly* recommend to anyone since it's at a budget price. I like some better than others but the best are really thrilling.

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #572 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
I have the Szell/Cleveland box set of Beethoven Symphones and Overtures, which I would *highly* recommend to anyone since it's at a budget price. I like some better than others but the best are really thrilling.

I agree totally!! I was just listening to those this morning and thinking that Szell really nails Beethoven, the symphonies and the piano concerti.

Got my Karajan Mahler 9 in the mail today. Going to wait until I get home to listen to it. I figure it needs HD650/Zu over my Ety 4S's here at work.

dshea

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #573 of 3,718
Quote:

Got my Karajan Mahler 9 in the mail today. Going to wait until I get home to listen to it. I figure it needs HD650/Zu over my Ety 4S's here at work.

Pfft, why when the etys are so much better!
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #574 of 3,718
Quote:

I agree totally!! I was just listening to those this morning and thinking that Szell really nails Beethoven, the symphonies and the piano concerti.

dshea

A conductor who I like very much for Mahler, and who seems to me to be close in sprit to Szell, is Claudio Abbado. There's a clarity and sense of architecture, with no loss of emotion, imho. Some might consider his style to be less "dramatic" then Bernstein, et al., but I think Mahler's compositions generally stand up quite well to the light of such an Apollonian (in the Nietzsche's sense) approach. It's the combination of head and heart that really gets me about Mahler.

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #575 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origen
I had the great pleasure of receiving a 1966 Horenstein (BBC Legends label) M9 today.

My Horenstein/BBC Legends M9 arrived today.........but new CD stack is tall, will be a few days till I get to it.

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #576 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
My Horenstein/BBC Legends M9 arrived today.........but new CD stack is tall, will be a few days till I get to it.

Question is, do you ever get a CD in and you don't remember ordering it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #577 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Question is, do you ever get a CD in and you don't remember ordering it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not a chance!
tongue.gif

I had to request refund from Amazon seller this weekend on CD that was almost 30 days with no delivery, which he did no hassle.

I have purchased many CDs last few months both classical and alt rock/metal, majority were used.

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #578 of 3,718
My faculty colleague lent me his Bernstein Mahler 6, wow!! Lenny does not disappoint. I can't believe the music he is pulling out of the score, it is extraordinary. The sound and energy of the performance is amazing. Can't wait for the movement 3 but I think I am going to be called for dinner any moment.

Scottder: I love my Etys too. But with my particular equipment, my Senns sound amazing!! Have you modded yours a la Tyson?

Woah, Lenny is doing some funky stuff in the second movement. He is taking the parody/dance like material at a snails pace, ooh there he goes we are revved up again with opening material. Okay enough play by play. That was the first truly eccentric moment so far but I can dig it. Got to run.

cheers,
dshea

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #579 of 3,718
Years ago I bought a recording of Mahler's 5 symphony, Rafael Kubelik conducting the Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (Bavarian Radio) that also included Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau singing Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen (DG). Is anyone familiar with this recording? I believe it is now available separately, or with the Lieder available on a recording of the 1st symphony. It is certainly a recording that I enjoyed.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #580 of 3,718
Quote:

Scottder: I love my Etys too. But with my particular equipment, my Senns sound amazing!! Have you modded yours a la Tyson?

I was just busting chops, actually I've never heard Senns (cept for 280's), so I can't really comment.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #581 of 3,718
Quote:

Not a chance!
tongue.gif

I had to request refund from Amazon seller this weekend on CD that was almost 30 days with no delivery, which he did no hassle.

I have purchased many CDs last few months both classical and alt rock/metal, majority were used.

Happened to me once, maybe the delivery just took so long it slipped my mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Chasing a 2 year old can do that! (That's my excuse and I am sticking by it)

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #582 of 3,718
I finished Mahler 6 with Bernstein/Berlin. Wow. Are all of this Mahler symphonies like this? I know we have our established reference recordings, but I really loved this recording! I need to revisit my Szell recording now. I also need to listen to my Solti M6 and really get the comparative thoughts churning.

It is funny because it has been awhile since I listened to the whole of Mahler 6. Last night I was drifiting at the end of the Finale and I forgot about the hammer blow, it scared the poop right out of me. It reminds me of Stravinsky Firebird going from the Ronde des Princesses to the Dance of Roi Keltschoi (sp?). Ooo, a Stravinsky thread, hmmmm.

dshea

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #583 of 3,718
Quote:

I finished Mahler 6 with Bernstein/Berlin. Wow. Are all of this Mahler symphonies like this? I know we have our established reference recordings, but I really loved this recording! I need to revisit my Szell recording now. I also need to listen to my Solti M6 and really get the comparative thoughts churning.

It is funny because it has been awhile since I listened to the whole of Mahler 6. Last night I was drifiting at the end of the Finale and I forgot about the hammer blow, it scared the poop right out of me. It reminds me of Stravinsky Firebird going from the Ronde des Princesses to the Dance of Roi Keltschoi (sp?). Ooo, a Stravinsky thread, hmmmm.

dshea

You know what must be done........get the complete Bernstein/Sony 1-9 set.
k1000smile.gif

Yes this is Bernstein's general style, especially the younger Bernstein on Sony label. He uses "artistic liscense" to exaggerate contrasts for dramtatic effect.
I find it brilliant conducting others may think it excessive over indulgence.

If you supplement the Sony set with the 2CD Bernstein/DG Panorama 1,5 I feel the you the best overall Mahler set available today by one conductor.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #584 of 3,718
Quote:

You know what must be done........get the complete Bernstein/Sony Mahler set.
k1000smile.gif

Yes this is Bernstein's general style, especially the younger Bernstein on Sony label. He uses "artistic liscense" to exaggerate contrasts for dramtatic effect.
I find it brilliant conducting others may think it excessive over indulgence.

I second this, if you even just like a few of them, the Sony set is well worth the money. He just puts so much energy into thos peorformances, I really don't mind the "artistic licsense" he took with them.

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #585 of 3,718
I am listening to Kubelik's Mahler 2 on DG (vinyl) 4 discs! It is an awesome recording, not as mannered as the Bernstein. The lyrical themes sing without any sentimentality while the darker c minor themes resound without clubbing you over the head. Of course, the vinyl really delivers on the bass. It is also an extremely subtle performance, so if someone wants a lot of bravura effects, this is not going to satisfy. However, it is a strong performance, and the music, especially the vocals, are extremely clear and forthright.

I don't know if this symphony is offered on individual cd, but I think the whole Kubelik cycle is available boxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back