Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Nov 11, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #421 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I was just reading that recent release of Mahler 9 completes the Chailly/London Mahler series. I don't own any Chailly currently and not sure where he stacks up against better known more experienced Mahler vetrans.
I know the critics really like his Mahler 5th, and say the London sound quality is quite good for the series.

Third symphony is very hard to pull off effectively......the Mahler catalog has many mediocre 3rds that fail to inspire.

I'd say Chailly does a good job of keeping things moving for Mahler's "Monster", and the sound quailty is top notch IMHO. Odd the Redbook releases costs like double what the Hybrid SACD does.

Also has the Bach suite thrown in, also nice. I'll be giving this some more spins over the next few days.

Scott

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #422 of 3,718
New Abbado 2nd and MTT SACD of the 2nd is out as well. Man the Mahler releases are flowing like WATER.

Scott

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #423 of 3,718
I picked up the new Abbado 2nd today, ouch that hurt. But I got the Chailly 2nd for only $7, eases the sting a bit. Hope my A900's get here soon.

Scott

Nov 13, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #424 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I picked up the new Abbado 2nd today, ouch that hurt. But I got the Chailly 2nd for only $7, eases the sting a bit. Hope my A900's get here soon.
Scott

My Abbado 2nd arrived in mail yesterday, comes in slim 2CD case. Was that Chailly 2nd used?

Seems we have Abbado 6th to look forward to next year according to MJ.

Nov 13, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #425 of 3,718
Quote:

My Abbado 2nd arrived in mail yesterday, comes in slim 2CD case. Was that Chailly 2nd used?

Seems we have Abbado 6th to look forward to next year according to MJ.

Yes the Chailly was used, the way I look it balanced out the Abbado, like $40 for everything wasn't too bad ($10 a CD)
smily_headphones1.gif

I took a real shine to the Chailly 3rd, so I figured $7 was worth taking a chance on for the 2nd.

Scott

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #426 of 3,718
It seems like the thread has gone into another buying frenzy mode.
smily_headphones1.gif
I must have got over 6 new Mahler CDs over the past few weeks.

I'm glad to report that I've finally found my favorite version of 6th, Barbirolli with NPO, the EMI double forte edition. It makes such a strong emotional impact that I found it necessary to prepare myself before listening to it. It is overall very slow, but Barbirolli was in total control all the time. However, now that I've got something to compare with, I can quite see why DA loves Karajan's 6th so much. The music flow of Karajan's is simply magical - everything was done in one breath (figuratively, of course). If there needs to be proof why Karajan is so highly regarded, this would be it. Unfortunately I still don't think it works for Mahler's 6th.
icon10.gif
I much prefer Barbirolli's emotional torture. One interesting thing is that Barbirolli placed the scherzo as the third movement while all my other recordings put it as the second. I thought Mahler himself moved the scherzo to the second movement in one of the later revisions, no?

I also received Haitink's Das Lied, which I have ordered weeks ago and has been on back order. Although it didn't replace Bernstein/Fischer-Dieskau&King as my favorite recording, it comes in quite close. Janet Baker is simply the best contralto soprano that ever sang Das Lied von der Erde. Klemperer's Das Lied is also interesting because it has to be one of the slowest performance I've ever heard. Whether that made it good is still questionable.

I have Abbado's 8th on DG, and I agree with you all that his conducting is very energetic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #427 of 3,718
Saxphile,

That Barbirolli is my favorite No. 6 as well. The Gielen stands right up there imo. Both allow the emotions to flow, but never let the work lose focus or cohesiveness.

We must both have excellent taste.
orphsmile.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #428 of 3,718
DarkAngel and scottder - Did you think you were going to get away with buying the new Abbado 2nd, posting here telling us that you did so, and not saying so much as a word about what you think of it?
tongue.gif
I think not.

I am still waiting for the MTT 2nd, it should have shipped on the 9th, so it should be here soon.

-Jay

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #429 of 3,718
agreed, jayg.

come on guys - give me a good reason to get that abbado 2nd!

and actually, this thread has prompted me not so much to go on another mahler-buying spree. but to rediscover the joys of the mahler works that i already own.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #430 of 3,718
So nice to see the Mahler faithful alive and well........and spending money.
k1000smile.gif

Jay
I believe today the new Abbado 2nd will get it's premier at mi casa. Hard to keep up with all the versions out there, but I tend to find a couple conductors who are sympathetic to my taste and then collect most of thier work. The 1980's Abbado Mahler was still work in progress, a learning experience to unravel the many mysteries and complexities of these diffucult works. His 1990/2000's Mahler with BPO is much closer to capturing the true essence of Mahler, he has performed these great works many times now and
has a deeper insight into the music.

The more I listen to the Bernstein/Sony set from the 1960's the more respect I have for it and Bernstein. I don't know how Bernstein could have come so close to fully capturing the true Mahler spirit when there were so few Mahler recording done before........many of these are better than later Bernstein/DG versions, most other modern Mahler performances by any conductor must take a back seat to these.

Sax
I may at some future time acquire the Barbirolli/EMI 6th, but it is somewhat hard to get for good price domestically now. There are some other Barbirolli 6ths done with BPO that are supposed to be even better performances, but alas in mono sound.............is it true that Barbirolli can be hearding humming during the recording? (this could be annoying)

I think with Karajan 6th his style reminds me of his fine Bruckner/VPO 8th style, perhaps the overall sound is controlled more than it should be and never allowed to seem out of control or wildly passionate (I like that "one breath" analogy and will have to steal it from you). Still a fine performance which is why it was chosen for DG Originals series, but because this is Karajan's nature the Mahler 9th may be his natural element.

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #431 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG
DarkAngel and scottder - Did you think you were going to get away with buying the new Abbado 2nd, posting here telling us that you did so, and not saying so much as a word about what you think of it?
tongue.gif
I think not.

I am still waiting for the MTT 2nd, it should have shipped on the 9th, so it should be here soon.

-Jay

I haven't given it a full enough listen, on the brief listening I have given it. The sound is excellent for a live recording, if a bit recessed, but that's what th voulume knob is for, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #432 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I haven't given it a full enough listen, on the brief listening I have given it. The sound is excellent for a live recording, if a bit recessed, but that's what th voulume knob is for, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Ok I did a complete listen of new Abbado/DG Mahler 2nd and am a bit disappointed with the results........for me this will not be first choice 2nd. The "recessed" sound Scott mentions is the less prominence of the brass compared to most studio versions, because of live recording this may actually be natural perspective but robs performance of some energy and contrast. The sound while very good is not comparable to best modern studio work like Rattle/EMI Mahler 3rd for instance. The crowd is very quiet so no issue there.

The "problem" for my taste is not enough energy and contrast especially in 1st movement, I suspect Abbado is reaching for deep religious insights and subtle shadings.....there are some moments of great reflective beauty but things never get fully engage for me. Like a photo with no black or white, just shades of grey things just seem too relaxed and smooth, there is not that undercurrent threatening to surface at any moment.

I wonder if Abbado's Debussy coupling had some effect on his Mahler. A good description of 1st movement would be a hybrid of Mahler/Debussy with fascination with shadeings and tonal colors, with Bernstein there is a chaos that he has just under control but threatens to escape at any moment.

Things pick up as the symphony progresses and by final movement Abbado finally begins to unleash the true Mahler spirit......unfortunately too little too late for me. This performance reminds me most of Klemperer/EMI 2nd so if you really like that more controlled relaxed "inner beauty" style perhaps you will find this an ideal 2nd for you.

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #433 of 3,718
Quote:

with Bernstein there is a chaos that he has just under control but threatens to escape at any moment.

Bernstein conducted the way he lived, there seemed to be no distinction. Mahler's music contains more that can be expressed in a single performance, but Bernstein came the closest on records to getting it all.

Nov 15, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #434 of 3,718
Quote:

This performance reminds me most of Klemperer/EMI 2nd so if you really like that more controlled relaxed "inner beauty" style perhaps you will find this an ideal 2nd for you.

I *DO* like the Klemperer/EMI, so this may be for me. We'll see. Will also give my impressions soon of the Chailly 2nd
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #435 of 3,718
I hold a lot of gratitude to Bernstein for almost single-handedly bringing Mahler's music into the mainstream. If not for him, none of these recordings we are buying, comparing, reviewing, enjoying etc. would exist. That said, I am not overly fond of Bernstein's recordings of Mahler on the whole. I like his version of the 2nd more than any of his others, though. It has unbridled emotion and enthusiasm, and no one could ever call it boring. But overall I think Bernstein drags everything out and finds drama everywhere, whether it was intended or not. Even if he successfully makes his point musically, his crawling tempi are often hard to bear.

One interesting thing I have noticed about Bernstein is that almost everything he conducts written by others is staggeringly slow and melodramatic, and leaves me with a feeling of artificially enhanced musical emotion. If a piece is meant to be played quickly, lightly, and playfully, don't try to make it into a contemplative hymn. However, when he conducts his own compositions, he flies. And I don't mean a little quicker than average, I'm talking breakneck speeds, at the limits of his players' technical abilities. And these performances are breathtaking, leaving me wanting more and in awe of the music and the playing. Why does he never employ a similar style when conduction others' works?

I am sorry to hear that the new Abbado 2nd is not stellar. I guess it saves me some money though, so that is good. I can't wait to get my new MTT 2nd; I hope it blows my socks off.

-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back