Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Oct 21, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #391 of 3,718
DarkAngel,

I think you have made a good choice in the Boulez Mahler symphonies. I have him doing 4th, 6th and 7th, and what I partculalrly like about his approach to Mahler is the transparency and lighter hand he brings to the music, which I feel is epscially suitable for bringing out the all-important counterpoint and inner-voicing in Mahler.

If you want to follow Boulez further try his Stravinsky (Firebird; Rite of Spring; Petrouchka), where he again make these performance both brilliant and transparent. There are things that I had never heard before. Quite amazing!

Oct 21, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #392 of 3,718
I own the Boulez/Chicago recording of the 9th. The sound is spectacular and the performance is great. I use this recording as a reference when I am sampling new equipment.

I have heard the musicians of the Chicago Symphony fear no conductor, but when Boulez is in town, they are a little bit more humbled by what an incredible musician and conductor he is.

I need to start exploring the used CD market as well. It never occured to me to do that online, I don't know why.

dshea

Oct 22, 2004 at 11:20 AM Post #393 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
I own the Boulez/Chicago recording of the 9th. The sound is spectacular and the performance is great. I use this recording as a reference when I am sampling new equipment.

I need to start exploring the used CD market as well. It never occured to me to do that online, I don't know why.

OK got used Boulez/DG 1,4,7,9 from Amazon......had to buy new version of 6th elsewhere, but got good sale price and it is 1CD version of 6th fortunately.

I try to buy used from Amazon whenever possible (also sell my own used there) especially classical because CDs are always in great condition from careful previous owners.......Boulez 9th was only $5

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #394 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665

I have heard the musicians of the Chicago Symphony fear no conductor, but when Boulez is in town, they are a little bit more humbled by what an incredible musician and conductor he is.

dshea

Boulez definately brings interesting ideas to the table in his Mahler interpretations (I have 1, 6 and 9). I do agree about the transparency, it was very apparent when I saw him perform the 9th with the Chicago Symphony back in '95. But, compared to others like Guilini, Karajan, Walter, Horenstein or Levine (I wonder if he'll do a new cycle, I really like his Mahler) I just don't get the sense of weight that I like. Boulez is always articulate, the details are immaculate, the playing under him his always extraordinary, but the sense of "Mahler" is missing for me. I guess, my final verdict is I find his Mahler too clinical. However, his Stravinsky totally rocks.

I will not sell my Boulez Mahler cds, there is something in each to enjoy, but overall he just misses the mark, though not by much.

-jar

Oct 31, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #395 of 3,718
I see that the new live Abbado/DG Mahler 2 will be released 11/9/04, now just have to find some way to get it without paying full price. You will recall I posted graphic and link to recent review of this, I must own it at all costs:

Abbado

Usually just wait till Tower has 25% off sale or buy at Alldirect.com

I got my 5 used Boulez/DG Mahler 1,4,6,7,9 Cds and enjoy them all very much. The sound is excellent and just enhances Boulez clarified modern style of Mahler. I would say the 6,7 come off best vs competion, 4 is very good but competion is fierce for best available, same comments for Mahler 1. Also have Mahler 9 but will have to listen to them all again to make final assessment.

Also heads up for 11/9/04 release is rare studio recording for Martha Argerich and Abbado doing Beethoven 2,3 piano concertos with chamber orchestra.......without hearing these I would be shocked if they are not instant classics (love Abbados recent Beethoven symphony set), we can only pray to the audio gods that complete Argerich/DG Beethoven piano concerto set will follow:

Argerich

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #396 of 3,718
I can't add much to the thread at this point. I do also love the Szell 4th. Also the old Barbirolli 5th. I began Mahler with Bernstein's original recordings with NY. Those still impress me. Mostly my CDs are all over the place with different conducters, often I've changed my mind about performances. It is truly a quest.

The newest addition, although not that new a recording is of Salonen's 3rd. I found that to be a wonderful performance and recording. The third has been my favorite Maher symphony since I first heard Lenny's recording of it.

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #398 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Have any of you heard Micheal Gielen's set? The set is a very good (arguably the best) modern recording.

I have his recording of the Seventh. Haven't heard it for a while, but I remember it being a clean, clear performance, incisive in the outer movements, maybe not the most atmospheric in the night music interludes.

Nov 2, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #399 of 3,718
Litton 2nd on SACD

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Nov 2, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #400 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Litton 2nd on SACD

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

i have the non-sacd version.

a clean, clinical presentation - not as many tempo fluctuations as rattle nor bernstein. overall, a more cool, classical approach to mahler as opposed to a wholly romantic one. paradoxically retains all the emotion though imo - a cataclysmic ending. all in all a more measured approach to mahler. i find parallels in gielen. the only hiccup i find might be that the organ's chords in the end do not flow in a 'legato' manner - they are clearly staccato, and with a 0.2sec interval between. mars the rhythmn of the final bars of the symphony somewhat imo.

..and it has the best recorded quality i have heard in a classical cd, period. instruments are spot on in location and an unworldly clarity is simply.. there. the in every strike of the triangle, there in the braying of the trumpets, there in the ghostly entrance in 'urlicht', there each time the timpani is struck. 10/10 for recorded quality, hands down.

EDIT: if i had one major complaint, it would be the cover art. oh, cover art from hell!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #401 of 3,718
adhoc,

Thanks, i may need to look into this. Klemperer has been one of my favorites on CD, and he also (IMHO) is pretty even handed as well.

I just ordered the Chailly Mahler 3rd today on SACD. We'll see how that is as well.

Scott

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #402 of 3,718
I recently added the new Abbado/DG/BPO 7th to my collection, live recording from 2002. This will unseat my older CSO 7th from 1980's which was one of Abbado's finest Mahler performances during that period.

Fortunately this is 1CD version which keeps cost down, and the crowd noise is so low you would not know it is live till final applause which has it's own track if you want to skip. The sound quality is excellent as you would expect, the BPO is in top form, this may be best 7th available now but need some more time in order to pass the palm leaf and crown new king.

It is not quite as frentic or wild as some versions, but achieves a nice balance which give a unity to whole performance while still maintaining a high energy level.......I do like my Mahler with ample energy and passion so I always like conductors that leave nothing on the table and push the envelope. Somehow the conductors must tie together these wild segments with the pastorial and night music scences to make a cohesive statment.

I have advance order for Abbado/DG 2nd being released 11/9/04, live performance which is by all reviews I have read a knockout.....we will soon see.

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #403 of 3,718
Some have gone so far as to say it is the finest Mahler recording yet period, so I too had to see what all the commotion was about. But, it was a pricey CD, at least at Amazon where I bought it.

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #404 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by danaa
Some have gone so far as to say it is the finest Mahler recording yet period, so I too had to see what all the commotion was about. But, it was a pricey CD, at least at Amazon where I bought it.

Tower Records has 25% off sale for DG this month plus free shipping! This eased the pain somewhat
cool.gif

In addition to Mahler 2nd also put advance order for Argerich/DG Beethoven Piano Concertos 2,3 also with Abbado conducting small chamber size orchestra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back