Magni/Modi vs ODAC/O2
Dec 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #31 of 42
My choice boiled down the aesthetics mostly. That and I don't like how the inputs and such are arranged on the o2 and ODAC. The schiit stacks, ins/outs on the back, looks sexy as heck and it's less expensive.

Yup, that Schiit is sexy! SOLD.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #34 of 42
Guys, when saying what's neutral and not, just give our buddy Raven a break. Remember that everything is subjective and that everyone hears everything differently. What is neutrality? Having a flat FR? or is it what sounds more realistic. Please remember that everything is subjective and that everyone has varying opinions. I don't deal well with telling apart who's joking or not. The M&M combo has just recently come out, and there are a few generalizations, most of which seem to be fairly good. If you're so curious, just shell out $200 and find out yourselves instead of bugging him. Otherwise, just sit back and give him time to do what he's doing at your request.

Now then, have a nice day 
wink.gif
 I didn't come here to argue or anything, but it was simply a matter of being courteous to someone who you've asked a favor from. Don't want that currawong coming here and smiting us all, now do we? 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #37 of 42
Oh gahd. The sexiness burns. Them interconnects... I saw that you'd have to put some of that stuff loosely/put some heavy stuff on it, but wouldn't that damage the cables? 

No. I have a ziptie VERY loosely wrapped around the Pyst interconnects. It's just enough to settle the Magni down on top of the Modi but there's no risk of damaging anything. The bend radius of the cable has not been exceeded.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #39 of 42
Let me post my impressions, having owned the Bifrost before and the Asgard in the past.

Build Qualityi: 9/10 only because PYST cables can lift the Magni

When you first open your package from Schiit, your going to notice the material used on the magni are very impressive, the case being made of Stainless Steel (like my refrigerator) and the overall build quality is impressive to say the least. The Modi feels the same exact way, but has no visible heatshink and makes it the better eyecandy :D

Sound: 10/10 especially for Grado/Alessandro headphone owners!

I have heard things I would not have heard from my MS1i using my vintage Technics receiver or my laptops headphone out. It is incredible. In Led Zeppelin Debut Album I heard Robert Plant breathing on the Mic! I have not heard that before! The synergy between Magni and Alessandro/Grado headphones seems to be top notch! Highly recommended for Grado owners!

Warranty and Support: 10/10

Jason Stoddard really knows customer service. One time I purchased a Schiit Valhalla secondhand and the seller was a scammer (happened on the FS forum) and Jason fixed it for free. Yeah thats right FREE! And he responds to emails in like 10 minutes or less, combine that with a good sense of humor and made in USA....10/10

Overall:

I love Magni and Modi! Highly recommended, and it is not overly neutral like O2 or boring like ODAC, the Magni and Modi are simply astounding. I like them even more than Bifrost and Asgard! Call me crazy but the synergy between Grado/Alessandro headphones with Magni is really that great.

Those are my impressions, and I hope they help!

Thank you,

Thomas

PS: If you read this Jason, big thanks again!

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #40 of 42
Hmm, I wonder if the Magni would be an even better match with my Grado 325is than my LD 1+

I'll guess I found out as soon as my Magni arrives in Norway
wink_face.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:
Build Qualityi: 9/10 only because PYST cables can lift the Magni

When you first open your package from Schiit, your going to notice the material used on the magni are very impressive, the case being made of Stainless Steel (like my refrigerator) and the overall build quality is impressive to say the least.

The Magni/Modi are an excellent sounding combination, especially considering the price, really an amazing value.
However I believe the chassis is powder-coated steel, not stainless steel.
The fact it looks like Stainless Steel shows how good of a job they did making it look decent but still affordable.

Several years ago I sold my CIAudio VDA-2 DAC and VHP-2 Headphone amp and really regretted it but have found worthy sound-quality replacements in the Magni/Modi. 
The CIAudio combo did have superior build quality and cosmetics, but also cost considerably more.

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #42 of 42
I've owned the Magni/Modi pair for quite some time now and to follow up:
- Still enjoying the sound, they appear to be transparent to me (a good thing).
- Wish the Magni had a gain switch, maybe Magni 2 will have one.
- I think I read somewhere the current PYST cables are thinner or more flexible and don't cause the "lift" issue.
- No functional issues whatsoever, they are both still working 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back