Magni/Modi vs ODAC/O2
Dec 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 42
I might be able to give some quick comparisons tomorrow, but they won't be with the akg cans.

Right now, just based off memory of how the objective combo sounded and how this schiit stack is sounding right now, looks as though the schiit stack has a thicker lower midrange 1000hz and under, and some powerful bass.  Reminds me of a tube amp, but without the messy tube characteristics.  Seems to play with the separation and clarity of harmonizing instruments and vocals in that area of the range EXTREMELY well for its price.  It's a very up-front sounding and energetic combo.

I really like what I hear so far.  

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:
I might be able to give some quick comparisons tomorrow, but they won't be with the akg cans.

Right now, just based off memory of how the objective combo sounded and how this schiit stack is sounding right now, looks as though the schiit stack has a thicker lower midrange 1000hz and under, and some powerful bass.  Reminds me of a tube amp, but without the messy tube characteristics.  Seems to play with the separation and clarity of harmonizing instruments and vocals in that area of the range EXTREMELY well for its price.  It's a very up-front sounding and energetic combo.

TMRaven, would you think the Schiit Magni and Modi duo be a nice pair with the DT990/600Ω? I currently use the setup listed in my signature, and it sounds nice but I do wish to upgrade somewhere down the line.

Destroysall.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #20 of 42
And praytell, what are "messy tube characteristics"? Keep in mind that we're not in the 50s anymore and there are plenty of tubes with THD and other effects typically associated with tubes because of guitarists who can't manage a signal chain properly well below the scientifically accepted threshold of audibility.
Quote:
Right now, just based off memory of how the objective combo sounded and how this schiit stack is sounding right now, looks as though the schiit stack has a thicker lower midrange 1000hz and under, and some powerful bass.  Reminds me of a tube amp, but without the messy tube characteristics. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 42
Get off your high-horse, guy.  There's still plenty of sloppy otl tube amps out there that sell for cheap, and are popular to use among headphone audiophiles.  Keep in mind I'm giving the magni/modi fair comparisons against other things in their price range.

You've honestly done nothing to contribute to the thread other than playing devil's advocate.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Assuming the O2/ODAC combo is transparent, then is the Schitt combo a bit colored?

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #25 of 42
Again, I'm not going to make absolute statements like that.  I don't like saying 'amp a is more colored than amp b.'  What tells me that amp a is more colored than amp b?  Nothing.  They all measure to be perfectly flat and with distortion above audible levels.  I don't have ruler flat headphones that would tell me otherwise.

Instead you'll expect things more along the lines of 'amp b has more bass/less treble than amp b.'

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 42
The amount of fun I get from listening to the combo correlates little to whether or not how colored they are either, if that's what you were getting at.

Patience, I havn't even begun to fully compare the two combos, I'm just now getting re-used to the HE-400s' signature.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #29 of 42
For $99...probably should just buy one to compare to whatever you're listening to
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #30 of 42
My choice boiled down the aesthetics mostly. That and I don't like how the inputs and such are arranged on the o2 and ODAC. The schiit stacks, ins/outs on the back, looks sexy as heck and it's less expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back