Magni + Bifrost Uber, Good or Bad idea?
Oct 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sony Slave

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking forward to purchasing a Schiit Magni, I am not going to look into other amps. The Bifrost Uber from what I have experienced is laid back, lush, but very detailed. The highs don't sparkle as much as I would like them too(probably because of the Little Dot 1+).

My current set up is a MASSIVE let down honestly (PS3------->Bifrost Uber-------> Little Dot 1+------> SRH840), the change in detail and dynamics was minor at best. I am hoping the Magni can bring my set up from the dead.

Just for your info, the music that I have is AAC/MP3 320 KBS/some flac, I downloaded it from bandcamp.com , the bit rates were not upsampled and none of my music is ripped.
I have also researched the Magni vs 02 and Magni vs Asgard from people who owned both at the same time. Their conclusions were the same, the Magni was the best buy, and the differences  between the other amps were negligible.

However, I want to know what do you guys think on the Magni + Bifrost, Yay or Nay?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Do you like the sound of your headphone? as an amp will only play on the existing sound signature and change it slightly based on it's own - it isn't going to change it into another different headphone though - you may be best to look for another that may suit your tastes more?

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah not sure that a new amp is going to where you want to be. That being said the Magni is a very nice little amp!

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 12
  Do you like the sound of your headphone? as an amp will only play on the existing sound signature and change it slightly based on it's own - it isn't going to change it into another different headphone though - you may be best to look for another that may suit your tastes more?

I love my headphone's signature, I wouldn't want it to change. Hopefully the Magni will make an obvious difference, I read about someone using a tube amp with the SRH840's. He didn't like it at all.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 12
You should exchange the Uber Bifrost for a Modi and get an O2 and a better headphone with the money
biggrin.gif

SRH-840 is good/great, but it seems weird to use the Bifrost with just an SRH-840.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 12
  I love my headphone's signature, I wouldn't want it to change. Hopefully the Magni will make an obvious difference, I read about someone using a tube amp with the SRH840's. He didn't like it at all.

You obviously don't lack any power at the moment since these Shure are really easy to drive and your amp can produce way more current than you need. You might get a bit of a cleaner sound as you upgrade, but that's it in my opinion.

I don't know about the output impedance of the Little Dot 1+ (no clue on their website), though I suspect a highish one that might have bad damping with your headphones, usually causing uncontrolled bass/mid bass. For exemple, I tried a Grado SR80 (32 ohm) out of a OTL amp (30 ish Ohm output) and the bass was just all over the place, didn't liked the sound at all compared to amps with lower output impedance (<2 ohm).

Pure speculation by the way, but Magni might fix that last issue, if issue there is.

However, as others said so well, if you don't like the sound of your headphones in the first place, you should put your money toward an other pair for sure.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 12
I do not want to change my headphones I like them A LOT, the amp is the problem. There are some songs that sound better straight of the MP3 player because they sound more airy and detailed.
The amp simply took the Shure's strengths and weakened them.

I am going to buy a Magni though without a doubt, and IF I ever do buy another pair of headphones, it will be the Shure SRH940's. The Shure sound signature are perfect to me.

We'll see how it goes once I get the new amp.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 12
  I do not want to change my headphones I like them A LOT, the amp is the problem. There are some songs that sound better straight of the MP3 player because they sound more airy and detailed.
The amp simply took the Shure's strengths and weakened them.

I am going to buy a Magni though without a doubt, and IF I ever do buy another pair of headphones, it will be the Shure SRH940's. The Shure sound signature are perfect to me.

We'll see how it goes once I get the new amp.

Are you sure it's the amp and not the DAC?
I never match a warm sounding amp+dac with a warm headphones or it'll drive me nuts. I know nothing about the Uber Bifrost.

LOL I once blamed my amp for issues and it was all my DACs fault. My amp was just being transparent. I learned my lesson.

HRT MSII is too warm to my ears. Yeah..i'm that picky.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 12
I personally don't have too much faith in the 840's scaling ability.  You can try the Magni as it does lean on the brighter side, but if you want drastic differences try to find a headphone with the same generic sonic signature as the 840 only better.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 12
  I personally don't have too much faith in the 840's scaling ability.  You can try the Magni as it does lean on the brighter side, but if you want drastic differences try to find a headphone with the same generic sonic signature as the 840 only better.

What headphones could those be?

Are you sure it's the amp and not the DAC?
I never match a warm sounding amp+dac with a warm headphones or it'll drive me nuts. I know nothing about the Uber Bifrost.

LOL I once blamed my amp for issues and it was all my DACs fault. My amp was just being transparent. I learned my lesson.

HRT MSII is too warm to my ears. Yeah..i'm that picky.

We'll see. my MP3 platyer is more transparent than my Little dot 1+

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 12
Here's a pic of my frankenstein setup 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back