Magnepan Mini Maggie Desktop Speaker System
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:
Funny that you mention the original Peachtree iNova.  I disagree, this amp underpowers the maggies.

I was really considering this amp prior to buying my A21.  I actually spoke w/ David Solomon from Peachtree and he told me that the pairing was not ideal d/t power constraints.  I heard this pairing briefly before going home to audition w/ the Nova125 and I would agree.  The iNova doesn't have the power for this speaker set, however I think the Nova125 sounds adequate.

It's rated at 80 watts into 6 ohms, which should ideally be little over 100 watts into 4ohms.

The doubling of power w/ change in ohm rating is a good way to judge amps, but a lot of manufacturers don't advertise accurate wattage ratings and I believe its only theoretically possible to exactly double the wattage.  In practice, it never doubles exactly which is another reason not to trust the wattage ratings when they do double exactly.  Also some manufacturers like McIntosh use different circuits for each ohm rating, so their amps are all the same wattage regardless of ohm rating.  

A better way to judge amps (if you can't audition) is simply by weight, imo.  Heavy amps have big transformers and big heat sinks, which usually equates to an amp w/ lots of current.  Planar speakers are particularly current hungry speakers.

Hopefully someone w/ an engineering background will weigh in on this...

Class D throws that outdated 'check the heft' crap to the kerb, and I can produce measurements to show that there are amps from NAD and Rotel which not only exceeed their published power specs, but double (and more than double) their output into 4-ohms. NAD's M3, for example, will do that *without* any measurable increase in distortion : unheard of at that price point (admittedly expensive for a NAD amp, but hardly Levinson territory), and you might like to read the reviews of the M2 and C390DD Digital Direct Class D amps when you get a moment. 

End of the day, its all keystrokes - you have an amp that you are happy with and that's all that really matters. I'll save the endless debates for the dinosaurs at AK.  :D

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 76
Quote:
A big thanks to jazzfan for sharing impressions. I'm in the process of acquiring some desktop speakers, and right now the Mini Maggies (+ sub) are at the top of my list. Also considering the KEF LS50s for what it's worth.

If you get them, please report back with your impressions! I'm very interested to see what you think of them! :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 76
Quote:
A big thanks to jazzfan for sharing impressions. I'm in the process of acquiring some desktop speakers, and right now the Mini Maggies (+ sub) are at the top of my list. Also considering the KEF LS50s for what it's worth.

I've also had my eye on the LS50, but have not had a chance to audition them.  Would love to get your impressions if you have a chance to hear them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #23 of 76
Would a pair of these, the Peachtree Nova125 and my computer be a good desktop system?

I had this setup for 40 days while my A21 was being repaired. Although I still prefer my w4s dac 2 and a21, I found this setup very good. Much better than the regular nova.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

I've also had my eye on the LS50, but have not had a chance to audition them.  Would love to get your impressions if you have a chance to hear them.

I have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my set up as well, but I'm concerned about adding a dynamic subwoofer to the mix.

How well do you think the STF 2 keeps up with the speed of the DWM and Mini satalites?

Also, did you ever think about adding another DWM?

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 76
I have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my set up as well, but I'm concerned about adding a dynamic subwoofer to the mix.

How well do you think the STF 2 keeps up with the speed of the DWM and Mini satalites?

I have the minis with the stf-2 and I am totally happy, IMO it keeps up with the Maggie bass pannel. I considered getting another panel but due to the cost and to my preference in adding real deep bass I went with the Stf-2. Totally happy with the set up

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

I'm quite pleased with how well the STF-2 integrates with the Mini Maggies in my office.  The output from the Hsu is tight, low and seems fast enough to keep up with the Maggies.  On occasion, the sub will draw attention to itself, but only because it tends to vibrate loose objects that happen to be in close proximity.  Keep the area clear and you'll be fine.

A second DWM for me is out of the question due to room size/placement constraints, and I'm doubtful that even two DWMs would go as low as the Hsu, but I can't say for sure since I haven't tried that combination.  So I agree with Maelob, if you're looking for deep bass, a good subwoofer would be a better choice than a second DWM.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #27 of 76

You can also step up from the STF-2. SVS Sound has some 12" sealed subs (SB-1000 and SB12-NSD) that will give even better bass response SQ than HSU's STF-2.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #28 of 76
I spent a lot of time last night figuring out what sub to buy...

Since my current set up is completely balanced and the Mjolnir has no RCA outs, I was leaning towards an expensive subwoofer w/ Right and Left XLR inputs.  I was pretty close to buying the Hsu Research ULS-15

Then I finally figured out a way around this.  By using the RCA loop outs on my power amp to plug into a subwoofer, I can avoid buying a sub w/ balanced input.

W4S DAC2 => Schiit Mjolnir => Parasound A21 => Magnepan mini's
                                                                       => Subwoofer via RCA loop out

Long story short, I bought the SVS SB12 NSD.  Impressions to follow...

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations!  Sounds like you've assembled a very impressive desktop system.  SVS produces excellent subs.  Looking forward to reading your impressions.  Please include your room dimensions as well.  Thanks.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #30 of 76
I spent a lot of time last night figuring out what sub to buy...

Since my current set up is completely balanced and the Mjolnir has no RCA outs, I was leaning towards an expensive subwoofer w/ Right and Left XLR inputs.  I was pretty close to buying the Hsu Research ULS-15

Then I finally figured out a way around this.  By using the RCA loop outs on my power amp to plug into a subwoofer, I can avoid buying a sub w/ balanced input.

W4S DAC2 => Schiit Mjolnir => Parasound A21 => Magnepan mini's
                                                                       => Subwoofer via RCA loop out

That'll be a very nice setup!

Cool thing about the SB12 is that it has an 80hz low pass/high pass filter built in that can be used with the RCA output that you can try and see if you like. Most subs just have adjustable low pass crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back