Magnepan Mini Maggie Desktop Speaker System
Mar 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 76
Well I just got my SVS Sb12 NSD...

I haven't had much time to tinker w/ it and my placement is far from ideal... that being said so far I am very pleased w/ my purchase.  I don't intend on writing a full review, but I will say that any reservations I had prior to purchase have be assuaged.  The sub produces very nice, crisp tight bass.  It's positioned very close to me which allows me to turn it up a decent amount w/o shaking the entire apt complex but still providing that viseral, chest thumping bass.  It also performs equally well, perhaps too well for movies.  I was also pretty concerned that the dynamic woofer would not be able to keep up w/ the speed of the Magnepans, but I haven't been able to detect any delay whatsoever.  

My room dimensions are 12'x9'x21', the left side is wide open to a kitchen, the right has a window and all walls are dry wall w/o any acoustic treatments.

Here are some pics...

This the configuration I have settled... at least so far

\

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #32 of 76
@rrahman, Good to hear you haven't run into any integration issues.  The SB12-NSD looks to be a good choice for your environment.  I was able to get away with a smaller sub due to my much smaller 10x9 ft. room dimensions.  Thanks for sharing.

You have a terrific setup.  I think it's safe to say (at least for the moment) you do own the best desktop system in the world.  Congratulations!!!

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #33 of 76
After a few weeks w/ the sub, I am still very pleased w/ the set up.  It is very transparent to the point where it has been very difficult to characterize. This makes me think the speakers would be very responsive to tube rolling, which brings me to my next point.

I have been considering buying another preamp to replace my Mjolnir in the set up, because 1) I want a remote 2) tube rolling and 3) I am skeptical of the Mjolnir's preamp outs since it was designed as a headphone amp primarily.  

Have any of you guys experimented w/ tubed amps or preamps w/ the Maggies?  Will a preamp even make a difference in my set up?

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #34 of 76
Quote:
After a few weeks w/ the sub, I am still very pleased w/ the set up.  It is very transparent to the point where it has been very difficult to characterize. This makes me think the speakers would be very responsive to tube rolling, which brings me to my next point.

I have been considering buying another preamp to replace my Mjolnir in the set up, because 1) I want a remote 2) tube rolling and 3) I am skeptical of the Mjolnir's preamp outs since it was designed as a headphone amp primarily.  

Have any of you guys experimented w/ tubed amps or preamps w/ the Maggies?  Will a preamp even make a difference in my set up?

I've used good tube equipment (Audio Research SP-9 and VTL 100 monoblocks) with the larger Maggies and that system sounded very good, but I've not listened to the Mini Maggies with tube equipment.  I can say the Mini seems to scale well with amp changes.  I regularly switch back and forth from my Trends to my vintage Yamaha MX-1000.  The Mini sounds best with the MX-1000 - much more relaxed, much less grain, and a more open soundstage - the MX-1000 effortlessly drives the Mini's.  I would say the Mini responds well to amp upgrades, regardless if they are tube or solid-state based - but you already have a respectable amp.

Before I respond to your preamp question, I need to fully understand how your components are connected - based on your pictures I have a few questions.  Depending on how your components are currently connected, a preamp may be a wise investment.  I'll send you a PM with my questions.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 76
The problem w/ my set up is my magnepans are not getting a highpass filter applied to them.

So after talking w/ jazzfan, I have decided to upgrade my set up yet again...

In 3 months I will be returning my SVS 12 NSD and upgrading to the SVS 13 SB Ultra which would allow me to continue a fully balanced XLR configuration, upgrade to any balanced preamp/headphone amp, and apply the crossover to my magnepan mini's.  I know its major overkill especially for apartment living, but it seems to be cheaper/equally as costly as me buying a separate preamp.

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 => Schiit Mjolnir => SVS Ultra 13 => Parasound A21 => Magnepan Mini

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #36 of 76
Glad to find this thread. Very interesting comments about using the Mini-Maggies.

I have the complete 3-piece set on 30-day trial in my home office, an 11x12 third bedroom. Using a 100wpc Odyssey Cyclops amp. I am very impressed with their speed, timbral accuracy, and dynamic fidelity. Driving them with the 4wpc Fi 421A makes them sing at normal volume. Of course, it breaks up any louder.

But, getting them positioned properly is key in order to be in the direct nearfield with a balanced image, and I'm still unsure how to solve that here. I sit in my recliner in a corner of the room, using my laptop on an Airdesk (which I recommend). The opposite side of the room is too far away and imbalanced. I'm thinking that I need to find a pair of floorstands, sturdy but mobile.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #37 of 76
If anyone was curious here are some of the measurements I just took using fuzzmeasure w/ a spare mic I had laying around...

This is my LCD3

Maggies W/ SVS Subwoofer NSD 12

Maggies w/o Sub

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #38 of 76
If anyone was curious here are some of the measurements I just took using fuzzmeasure w/ a spare mic I had laying around...

This is my LCD3

Maggies W/ SVS Subwoofer NSD 12

Maggies w/o Sub

Awesome to have more data points! Thank you!

I can see the effect of comb filtering in the Maggies freq response. Speakers will always be a little more complicated than headphones for this reason. These measurements also support the voiced need for a sub in the system.

Thanks again for the measurements!

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #39 of 76
@ rrahman,  The LCD-3 measurements are remarkably flat.  Very interesting results. 

Also looking forward to seeing measurements after the new sub arrives.  In your room, I suspect the SB13 will easily extend down to 20hz, and the crossover will help to integrate the Mini bass unit - 80Hz would be a good starting point crossover frequency.  You can always adjust the frequency up or down to achieve the best integration with the Mini.    Thank you for sharing.

@budx3385,  Glad to hear you're able to take advantage of the 30-day trial. 

With your listening position located in a corner, optimizing imaging will be more of a challenge.  If moving things around is an option, try moving the speakers and your listening position closer towards the center of the room.  Imaging should improve while maintaining your angled system.  If moving your listening position is not an option, and you only move to the speakers closer to your listening position, you might want consider adding sound treatment behind your listening position to absorb some of the reflected sound, although this may not be an issue for you.  As with most Magnepan dipole speakers, experimentation is key.   Have fun with the trial period and I hope Mini works out for you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #40 of 76
@ rrahman, many thanks for the measurements. It would be nice to see what effect different placement would have on the Mini's alone. And a comb filter effect suggests that placing the microphone closer to a single panel might be more comparable to the LCD-2 measurement.

I have noticed that the near-field is way better, as they prescribe. The tweeter ribbon seems to beam and have little lateral dispersion - again, as they say already. The Mini-Maggies do not fill a room, but properly placed, they certainly fill my head!

@ jazzfan, thank you very much. I am trying to achieve a better placement. Within the limitations I have, the only solution is to find a stand that will allow me to place them properly when I wish to listen. Mobile-Maggies!

and thank you for the dampening suggestion. I had tried placing a cloth surface behind each panel, but I will try placing one behind me now, too. Good suggestion.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #41 of 76
Quote:
@ rrahman,  The LCD-3 measurements are remarkably flat.  Very interesting results. 

Also looking forward to seeing measurements after the new sub arrives.  In your room, I suspect the SB13 will easily extend down to 20hz, and the crossover will help to integrate the Mini bass unit - 80Hz would be a good starting point crossover frequency.  You can always adjust the frequency up or down to achieve the best integration with the Mini.    Thank you for sharing.

@budx3385,  Glad to hear you're able to take advantage of the 30-day trial. 

With your listening position located in a corner, optimizing imaging will be more of a challenge.  If moving things around is an option, try moving the speakers and your listening position closer towards the center of the room.  Imaging should improve while maintaining your angled system.  If moving your listening position is not an option, and you only move to the speakers closer to your listening position, you might want consider adding sound treatment behind your listening position to absorb some of the reflected sound, although this may not be an issue for you.  As with most Magnepan dipole speakers, experimentation is key.   Have fun with the trial period and I hope Mini works out for you.

@jazzfan
Thank you again. Placing a blanket on a pole behind my chair did indeed make an audible improvement, and with the Mini-Maggies positioned about 6 ft in front of me at the corners of an equilateral triangle, with the DWM in the middle about 3 ft in front of my feet, the sound quality is incredibly involving. Just as transparent as my best headphone, with a crystal clear 3D image hovering in the middle of the room.

I'm listening to Jessye Norman singing Brahms with Daniel Barenboim at the piano, and I have a lump in my throat. I'm not about to turn the UNC-Kansas on. 

But I do not wish to miss the next FGCU game!

The 4wpc channel Fi 421A can make them sing, but the improved control of the 100 wpc ss Odyssey Cyclops Extreme is a winner, hands down.

A local audio buddy plans to bring his Strada2 + sub over this week for a direct comparison. That will be the final purchase decider.

Thanks again, jazzfan. I need to figure out how to make a permanent damper behind me.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:
A big thanks to jazzfan for sharing impressions. I'm in the process of acquiring some desktop speakers, and right now the Mini Maggies (+ sub) are at the top of my list. Also considering the KEF LS50s for what it's worth.

Yes... the LS50's are definitely worth considering - when properly set up, there are few contenders.  But... they require lots of space to realize their potential.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646016/does-anyone-have-experience-with-the-kef-ls50/60

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #43 of 76
Apr 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #44 of 76
[Gradofan].... "lots of space" ...... yes, indeed

when I finally moved the Mini-Maggies into the center of the room, each less than 6 ft in front of me, with the DWM near my feet, I finally heard them come alive. Gorgeous music, light and detailed and smooth. But only in the sweet spot in my chair. Very inconvenient.

As Magnepan made clear, they really aren't intended to fill a room with music, even a small one. The 1.7 and 3.7 are designed for that. They're gone now.

The Q50's are on my list, too. But first, Joe MacDonald called, and the ONE from Audience is finally on its way here. Yay!

Plus,these sweet little angels arrived
http://blumensteinaudio.bigcartel.com/product/orca-naturals

and they are very very special.....

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #45 of 76
Agree mini Maggie's are a desktop system, but for a small room set up they need to be treated like regular bookshelves with stands and an extra bass panel
http://www.avguide.com/review/magnepan-s-mini-maggie-speaker-system-revisited-playback-53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back